News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

...is now posted under In My Opinion.

You hear the name 'MacKenzie' and the first thing that comes to mind is the artistry he brought to golf course architecture. Think Cypress Point and Royal Melbourne and you understand the point immediately.

However, think Augusta National and your head could rightly explode as to how the single most unique design of all time has been relentlessly compromised. HOWEVER, a surprising development, at least to me here on the east coast, is that the re-design work done to Augusta may not be for much longer the single greatest crime ever committed against the work of the all-time greatest golf course architect.

That dubious distinction could be bestowed upon the City of San Francisco if they let MacKenzie's Sharp Park disappear from the landscape. Read this excellent call-to-arms In My Opinion piece by Bo Links and Richard Harris and as always refer to Dan Wexler's Missing Links. You will become ill at the thought that the very people who are charged with encouraging people to get outside and enjoy being a part of nature are the very ones who are seeking the demise of this cherished municipal course that is available to one and all. We here may obviously mourn the thought that two (!) MacKenzie Lido holes as well as some inspiring oceanside holes might be forever gone but the battle is much bigger than that. Yes, not unlike MacKenzie's cherished Old Course at St. Andrews, this design was meant to be enjoyed by as many people as possible. By introducing this brand of strategic/multi-option golf to as many people as possible, who doubts that the allure of the game would only grow?

What a pity - indeed I say a crime against nature  >:( - if this course was to go away. Sharp Park only occupies approximately 120 acres of a 400 acre park, much of which is a forested wilderness. The land adjoins a portion of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.  Yet, the environmentalists in California apply such stringent rules as to snuff all the joy out of the varied ways land can be enjoyed. Why convert this land into a wetlands restoration project? Yes, the endangered San Francisco Garter Snake and California Red-legged Frog live in or around the golf course. However, that's the point: they live there already, and they live there precisely because of what MacKenzie did to transform the landscape into a green belt oasis . . . proving that man, golf, snakes, and frogs can co-mingle.  It should stay that way, and Dr. MacKenzie's artistry should be restored the same way we'd care for a treasured work of art.

Please have a read and register your opinion at http://www.sfpublicgolf.com/

The folks who oppose this land for use as a golf course (much less a former treasured MacKenzie gem) are acting; if we don't, we can blame only ourselves for what will occur after the glare of the media from the President's Cup leaves town next week.

Cheers,

Neil_Crafter

Re: MacKenzie’s Sharp Park Under Siege by Bo Links and Richard Harris...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:14:18 AM »
Ran
Looks like a fascinating article by Bo and Richard, I plan to print it off and take a good read. I may post a few comments and questions.
Just a suggestion, think you might want to change the title of this thread slightly, as it reads that Sharp Park is under siege from Bo and Richard!
cheers Neil

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
Its a very well done article.  Printing it out was 27 pages.

The point is this course could be the watershed course for golf vs. environmentalists.  If they win, it could be bad news for many golf courses throughout the US.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 12:47:28 AM »

Anything new on this issue?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 01:02:54 AM »
Updated information about Sharp is posted here:

http://www.sfpublicgolf.com/sharppark.html

The latest story was from July:

http://www.sfpublicgolf.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=52474

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Patrick Kiser

Re: MacKenzie’s Sharp Park Under Siege by Bo Links and Richard Harris... New
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:16 PM »
... Need to ask a follow up question I've been meaning to ask for a long time.

Has anyone ever recovered the maps and plans mentioned by Forrest some time ago (thread immediately below started with Reply #40):
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=25607.35

I attempted myself to recover these and went down a small rabbit hole to nowhere.  There was some turnover at Sharp Park in the last 1+ years.  The super changed from Dan Briziak/Breisach/Briesach to Walter Souza.  I was able to reach Walter but he did not know anything about these plans.  I even visited the course and was not able to find anything.  So the trail has gone cold...  Did someone by chance recover these before Walter came in?

I also reached internally to GCA to learn more and what you see posted on the profile by Bo and Richard for the 1941 aerial was an eye opener, because it confirmed what Daniel commented on his second interview from March 2003.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 06:40:01 PM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »

Anything new on this issue?

Mainly just environmental issues and digging through red tape.  Richard Harris is an amazing guy, spearheading this effort with patience.  Basically he is playing the San Francisco political game better than the politicians.

Recently there is a new issue regarding the golf course using Pacifica recycled water and of course the enviromentalists started screaming about killing species.  So that throws a monket wrench into the fray which will take some time to resolve.

I think most people would not expect any type of construction to begin for a number of years.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back