News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil_the_Author

Re: Longshot Edition - Coudersport Golf Club (NW PA)?
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:26 AM »
Chris,

I have no idea what you mean by your question, but no, I've never been to Wanango. Do you doubt that Tilly redesigned the course?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 09:37:57 AM »
I will get the Wanango pics up this evening. IMO, one of the best courses  I have played of the 42 new (so far) played this season. A very fun course indeed.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 09:38:51 AM »
Chris,

I have no idea what you mean by your question, but no, I've never been to Wanango. Do you doubt that Tilly redesigned the course?

Philip,

It was a prety straight forward question,  have you played the course (or walked / seen what is there on the ground) - didn't think it was that complicated.

As to what you asked, I do not doubt he did work there; rather, I do not believe at all, he redesigned the ENTIRE course.  After playing the course, there was one green that was 100% tilly the short par three 8th (a very good green by the way).  Other than that, not so much.

Chris

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
Chris,

That #8 is one of the BEST holes I have played this year! Great Hole!
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:02 AM »
Chris,

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to make more out of your question than I did.

As for Tilly, he did redesign the entire course; in fact in 1925 he specifically listed it as an 18-hole course he reconstrcuted and the club itself also refers to it that way on their website.

Remember also, it is now about 90 years since he did his work and a great many other hands have placed their mark on it. It isn't that surprising to find very little of his work left on it.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Chris,

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to make more out of your question than I did.

As for Tilly, he did redesign the entire course; in fact in 1925 he specifically listed it as an 18-hole course he reconstrcuted and the club itself also refers to it that way on their website.

Remember also, it is now about 90 years since he did his work and a great many other hands have placed their mark on it. It isn't that surprising to find very little of his work left on it.

The club references the tilly associations claim in their history - they do not provide and specific backup.  After playing the course, most of the greens had a Rooss feel.  The 8th in particular is all tily and a terrific sporty little par 3.

For now, I will leave it as I agree to disagree on Tilly laying claim to the whole course as his.

Chris

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »
Chris,

No problem... I'm disagred with quite often! ;D

Check your email.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 10:28:30 PM »
Wanango posted...sorry for the threadjack!

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45495.0/

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:41 PM »
Kevin,

My apologies too... Didn't mean to take Wanango so far...

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:47 AM »
Philip / Richard,

Certainly no need to apologize at all. 

What you apologize for as "threadjacking" is perceived by me as an interesting tangent derived from my original discussion.  I threw out a topic to generate some discussion - it accomplished that.  I don't want to enforce some rigid "Coudersport Discussion Only!!!" policy - I'd rather see where the discussion goes on its own.

Glad you had the chance to get together on the Wanango.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »
Sorry Kevin, but despite you're being "Glad you had the chance to get together on the Wanango" Richard is just not my type, though the way he does the "Wanango" is intriguing...  ;D

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2010, 07:24:55 AM »
So Kevin,

What else is up in that area of NW PA?

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
So Kevin,

What else is up in that area of NW PA?

Sorry I didn't see this before now - I was pretty busy driving back & forth from Chicago to Whistling Straits last week. 

Unfortunately, what I listed were most of the NW Pennsylvania / Southern Tier NY Courses I have played (I'm in the Buffalo area).  There are a number of courses in Erie, PA (including Kahkwa Club which hosted a Women's Amateur, I believe), but I've only played Lakeview Country Club in the Erie area.  There is a 27 Hole Complex called Cross Creek in Titusville, PA which is geared towards the high-volume, inexpensive "Men's Weekend" packages (36 holes a day), but the courses are nothing spectacular (with a few surprises).

However, I would have to defer to others for additional information about the NW PA Region.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
Kevin,

We played one of the courses at Cross Creek as well as Hunter Station. Nothing spectacular, just regular golf. Cross Creek had a few decent holes, and Hunter Station plays like a home made jobber in most spots. I don't mean that as a knock, it's just what it is.

Michael Huber

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
Has anyone played Tam O shanter in Sharon, PA? 

It's an Emil Loeffler (sp?) course on a really flat site with some pretty subtle greens.  It's one of the better courses I have played in recent Western PA

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
I have not played the Tam O'Shanter in PA, but I have played Kittanning CC another Emil Loeffler design not too far away. I believe he was the head greenskeeper at Oakmont or something along those lines.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back