News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Zack Molnar

Northern Michigan courses thread
« on: May 22, 2010, 12:20:06 AM »
Does anyone know where the thread on courses in northern michigan is? im heading up there in a couple days and I was hoping to get a look at a couple new courses up there, if any of them are still open after this recession. Thanks for yall's help

Brian Joines

Re: Northern Michigan courses thread
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:17 AM »
I don't know which thread you're specifically looking for but a good place to check is delicious.com/golfclubatlas.com. That has a lot of course reviews/photo essays and may be of help to you.

George Freeman

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:42:32 AM »
where up north are you headed?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:19:59 AM »
Here's a couple good ones to start:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,25460.0/
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41206.0/
    (see esp. Brian Cenci's list on page 2)

These are statewide, but you can quickly figure out what fits your definition of 'north.'

Also, here's one of the many on Traverse City  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34836.0/

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 07:50:29 AM »
Depending on where you are headed, and how far you want to drive, Freeman and I can give some recommendations. 
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 08:16:27 AM »
I went on a junket once, a few years back, and played at Treetops, Crystal Mountain, Bay Harbor, Boyne Higlands, Shanty Creek, Tullymore and Arcadia Bluffs.  Absolutely adrenalizing, electrifying and invigorating golf.  I cede to Jones and Freeman for recommendations, but here is a link to a piece that I wrote on the trip:

http://buff-golf.com/mogolf.html#jul07
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jon Heise

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:07:10 PM »
I dont know where the thread is, but I playing Greywalls in 2 hours.  Just sayin' :)
I still like Greywalls better.

Brent Carlson

Brian Cenci

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »
Let me know, I've played most everything worth playing.  I call Northern Michigan anything north of Clare (if you're from Michigan you know where that is).  That being said, if cost isn't an issue Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore (slightly southwest of Clare), Treetops, Lakewood Shores, Red Hawk are all good options.  Kingsley Club is also a possibility if you can get access it's a no brainer.  I'd steer clear of like Black Lake and Bay Harbor and I'm not a huge True North fan but I know others like it.  Black Forest is another good option as well as Hidden River.  For a real steal for price try Champion Hill in Honor (about 15 minutes from Crystal Mountain).  Also, Hemlock in Ludington area (south of Mannistee) is pretty solid.

Send me something on where you are going and I can help you out because really from like Lakewood Shores to Arcadia is like 3 hours because they are on one side of the northern Michigan to another.

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
Let me know, I've played most everything worth playing.  I call Northern Michigan anything north of Clare (if you're from Michigan you know where that is).  That being said, if cost isn't an issue Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs, Tullymore (slightly southwest of Clare), Treetops, Lakewood Shores, Red Hawk are all good options.  Kingsley Club is also a possibility if you can get access it's a no brainer.  I'd steer clear of like Black Lake and Bay Harbor and I'm not a huge True North fan but I know others like it.  Black Forest is another good option as well as Hidden River.  For a real steal for price try Champion Hill in Honor (about 15 minutes from Crystal Mountain).  Also, Hemlock in Ludington area (south of Mannistee) is pretty solid.

Send me something on where you are going and I can help you out because really from like Lakewood Shores to Arcadia is like 3 hours because they are on one side of the northern Michigan to another.

The snow must have finally melted up in Michigan b/c Cenci is back out and posting.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:13:00 AM »
I have never seen anyone write as they speak as much as like, Cenci, like.  That's, like,  amazing.  I'm going to work on that skill, since everything I write is mundane and monotonic.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Brian Cenci

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 06:23:39 AM »

The snow must have finally melted up in Michigan b/c Cenci is back out and posting.
[/quote]

Ha....yea, been out fishing a lot and finally getting back into the golf after another minor knee surgery.  I've been playing a lot more in the last few weeks, partially due to the fact that Neveux is now back playing after recovering from a long long layoff because of major ankle surgery.

Good to hear from ya' buddy!

Brian Cenci

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 06:27:06 AM »
I have never seen anyone write as they speak as much as like, Cenci, like.  That's, like,  amazing.  I'm going to work on that skill, since everything I write is mundane and monotonic.

Hey, there's only 1 "like" in my whole response but that "skill" is because we live in a texting / IM world now and all my correspondence seems to turn into that or something that is less than 160 characters in length....there's a lot of short, choppy sentences that are meant to abbreviate and not really flow well.  It carries over into a lot what I do....so, that being said, thx!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »

Hey, there's only 1 "like" in my whole response but that "skill" is because we live in a texting / IM world now and all my correspondence seems to turn into that or something that is less than 160 characters in length....there's a lot of short, choppy sentences that are meant to abbreviate and not really flow well.  It carries over into a lot what I do....so, that being said, thx!

I can testify that Brian is actually quite fluent in English in person!   ;D

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »

I can testify that Brian is actually quite fluent in English in person!   ;D

Neveux on the other hand......

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
Zack,

Check your PM
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:12 AM »
I just returned from a 5 day trip to Traverse City.  Absolutely the best we've ever been on.

Courses were empty.
Courses were in great shape.
Kingsley, Arcadia and Crystal Downs were to die for (Forest Dunes temp closed due to nearby forest fire)
Friendliest management and staff I have ever seen.
Incredible weather.  Windshirts in the morning... short sleeves in the afternoon.
72 degrees and no humidity.  I sweated on one hole.  It rained for half a hole.

You cannot go wrong visiting that area.  I can't wait until it comes up again in the rotation.

George Freeman

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 09:26:42 AM »
I just returned from a 5 day trip to Traverse City.  Absolutely the best we've ever been on.

Courses were empty.
Courses were in great shape.
Kingsley, Arcadia and Crystal Downs were to die for (Forest Dunes temp closed due to nearby forest fire)
Friendliest management and staff I have ever seen.
Incredible weather.  Windshirts in the morning... short sleeves in the afternoon.
72 degrees and no humidity.  I sweated on one hole.  It rained for half a hole.

You cannot go wrong visiting that area.  I can't wait until it comes up again in the rotation.

Glad you enjoyed NW Michigan, Roger.  It wasn't a bad place to call home for the first 23 years of my life.

Any idea if Forest Dunes was effected by the fire (more than just a preventative closing)??

Thanks,

George
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
It was untouched... just a preventative measure by the county fire department.  They reopened the next day.

I was actually accused of starting it myself.  Due to the fire and our lost tee time... the wonderful folks at Crystal
Downs allowed us to play there Friday morning.  I had heard great things about Forest Dunes but also know
just how special and what an honor it was to play CD.  I am forever in their debt.

36 at Forest turned into 18 at CD and a sunset 18 at Arcadia.  Doesn't get much better than that!!

Andrew Lewis

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »
Roger -

Glad you enjoyed the trip and sorry I missed you -- although I believe saw your group having a blast as an 8-some at TKC on Saturday afternoon!!

And the silver lining in the Forest Dunes closure is that you have all the more reason to head back again soon!

Cheers, Andrew

JC Jones

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
It was untouched... just a preventative measure by the county fire department.  They reopened the next day.

I was actually accused of starting it myself.  Due to the fire and our lost tee time... the wonderful folks at Crystal
Downs allowed us to play there Friday morning.  I had heard great things about Forest Dunes but also know
just how special and what an honor it was to play CD.  I am forever in their debt.

36 at Forest turned into 18 at CD and a sunset 18 at Arcadia.  Doesn't get much better than that!!

Now you know why I play on the North side in the Dixie Cup; we're just better. ;) ;D

Glad you had a great time up there and I'm glad you got to see such great architecture!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back