News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

"Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture"
« on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
Well, I’ve been trying to read “Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture” by Colt and Alison for quite some time.  But every time I start it, I can’t get by the introduction.  I read it, re-read it, hone in on a sentence or two, and sit stunned for quite sometime just thinking about the words Mr. Colt wrote.  I am unsure if any paraphrasing will do it justice, so I’ll just post a few sentences from the actual text.

“I recently left the neighbourhood of Sunningdale, and as I thought, of golf-courses, to live far away from any large town, and in the midst of an intensely rural district. After spending nearly twenty years in the closest connection with the game, I thought that it would perhaps be a relief to have my home far removed from the sight and sound of it, so that it might be possible to emerge from home fresh and keen for my work as a golf-course architect. But I very soon realised on a fine Sunday afternoon that the joy of
life was not complete
. There was a craving for my usual game round the Swinley Forest course, and then I made a few inquiries, and to my surprise discovered, almost at my door, a very delightful 9-hole course. When I came to live in the neighbourhood I had never even heard of it, but now I know that it is impossibility in this country to get away from the game, or for many to be deprived of it without severely feeling the loss.”

He then talks about the growth of the game and some writings on it, which leads to this…

“Moreover, golfers are becoming more and more interested in the architecture and construction of courses. They realise that there is no other pursuit in the open air which gives them the same relaxation from the worries of life. To some the healthy exercise, and the battle of the game played with a keen opponent, are the attractions; but to others the rest gained from a round played with a pleasant companion on a fine spring morning, on a course with beautiful natural surroundings, gives the greatest pleasure, and the actual result of such matches is not of paramount importance.”

He continues along the lines of constructing a course, which continues as follows…

“That is the real test of a course. Is it going to live ?—not, does it provide a test for the game ?...An architect's earnest hope is, without doubt, that his courses will have the necessary vitality to resist possibly adverse criticism, and will endure as a lasting record of his craft and of his love for his work.”

I guess this hits home with me, and probably most of you reading this, as the joy derived from being on a golf course is so immense that being without it would probably make me realize, like Mr. Colt did, “that the joy of life was not complete.”  One of the things I really think hard about every time I read this part of the introduction is that this is what CB MacDonald had to feel for all of those years between leaving St. Andrews and prior to getting Americans interested in golf.  Wouldn’t that have been torturous?  

Also, his comments on relaxing on a golf course and letting the worries of life fade away really hit home with me.  That is why I love walking when I can, maybe a quick 9 holes after a stressful day at work or an 18 with some good friends on the weekend.  To just enjoy being on the course.  Those are some of my favorite moments.

And then the last part I quoted; I wonder what all the architects on the site think.  Is that how they view their creations?  Does the course have the vitality to stand-up to the criticism and live as a lasting record of your work and love for the game?  I believe I would feel that way, but I’ll never know as my skills aren’t related to creating golf courses.

Anyway, perhaps I’ll get back to trying to read this darn thing again…maybe I’ll even get by the intro!!!  :)

Later!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tom MacWood

Re: "Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »
I'm not sure it is such an easy thing to relate Colt's situation then to a contemporary golf architect today. Colt wrote this right after WWI - a devastating war. He moved from suburban London out into the country in the middle of that War. Also he was a very active and competitive amateur most of his adult life, that is until just prior to WWI, when his golfing activities stopped almost completely. I suspect he had no time to play because he was so damn busy building golf courses. That period included three trips to America. I think it is important to take his words in the proper context.

Mac Plumart

Re: "Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:49:56 AM »
Tom Macwood...thanks.

Adding that context to Mr. Colt's words makes it even that much more interesting.

Great stuff!!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back