News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Tang

Royal Portrush in Pictures
« on: June 05, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my visit to Royal Portrush last July.  Enjoy.

The green of the par 5 2nd hole.

The drive at the par 4 4th hole.  You're pinched on the right by O.B. and bunkers left.

Behind the 4th green.

The par 4 8th hole.  The second shot is played blind, as is the drive.

Behind the par 5 10th hole.

The downhill par 3 11th.

Greenside at the par 3 14th.

Shane Wright

Re: Royal Portrush in Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Jim,

These are awesome. What an incredible golf course.  It could be the toughest driving course I've seen.  Thanks for sharing. 

Shane

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
Jim, thank you for posting those.  I noticed that you did not post any pictures of White Rocks (the 5th hole).  That is one of my favorite holes in the world.  What did you think of that hole?

Also, as long as a Portrush thread is up, I just want to go on record as saying that Dunluce is a great course, but it has a few disappointing holes that could easily be eliminated by stealing some land from the Valley course and slightly altering two other holes.  Have any of you other armchair (or actual) architects ever wanted to get your hands on that course for some modest renovations (or is it taboo to even suggest altering such a great course)?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »
Keep your mitts off the Valley, Wade, that's a great little course in its own right!

Jim Tang

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 04:12:22 PM »
Wade -

I didn't post of picture of # 5 becasue I figure it gets a lot of attention.  With that said, White Rocks is a phenomenal golf hole.  The drive is terrifying and baits you into taking a line too far right.  I had a 3 club crosswind on that hole.  The drive there is one of the most thrilling golf shots I've seen anywhere.  The open green in front is brilliant becasue it allows you to either bounce shots in or fly the ball all the way there.

I love that hole for the options it provides both off the tee and on the second shot.  The expansive ocean as a backdrop and the white cliffs in the distance don't hurt matters either.

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
Dunluce is one course that seems like they could hold an Open Championship with a days notice.

While 17 and 18 seem out of place a bit, they do seem like Open Championship closing holes.

A good friend of mine shot 68 from the tips there on a windy day that might have been the best round I have ever witnessed.

archie_struthers

Re: R1oyal Portrush in Pictures
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I think the walk from the tee on 5 to the fairway , right fork is one of the best in golf...if you have a picture of the tee shot please favor us

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
Jim T:

How narrow were the fairways and how high is the primary rough. I am a huge fan of the design but from my last time there the narrow conditions, coupled with the daily breezes whipping through the property -- and then you get hay-like primary rough makes me wonder if it's overkill.

Given your recent time there -- what were your impressions on the point I raised above.

thanks ...

Jim Tang

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
Matt -

I had played Royal County Down the day before, so Royal Portrush seemed spacious in comparison.   ;D 

Over the 10 days I was in Ireland/Northern Ireland, my best driving day came at Portrush.  Honestly, I didn't feel the course was too narrow off the tee.  You certainly have to hit solid golf shots off the tee to have a chance, but the primary rough wasn't awful to play from and you could have a go at the green.

I didn't lose a ball and shot my best round over the 10 days, shooting 77.  I felt like Royal Portrush was incredibly fair, even in a 3 club wind, which I played in.

In comparison, I felt RCD was much more narrow and the rough was extremely penal.

Since several have asked, I will put up the pictures I have of the 5th in a few minutes.

Jim Tang

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »
Here is the 5th hole.  What an amazing and fun golf hole.

A thrilling moment; the drive at the 5th, which must carry dunes and grass.  The white directional rock in the left hand side of the picture is your guide.  Don't get greedy and bite off too much of the dogleg.

The approach shot.  You can bounce the ball in or fly it all the way to the hole.

The green from the left hand side, the white cliffs stretching away.

Rob Miller

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 07:58:59 PM »
Jim, great photos.  Thanks for posting.

How's the drive from County Down to Portrush?  Tough to do both Royal County Down and Royal Portrush in consecutive days?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »
I did it Rob, no problem. Played RCD, took a short tour of Belfast, then finished the drive north. Played Portrush and Porstewart the next day

Mike Leveille

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
Jim:

Thanks for posting your photos, especially the shots of no. 4.  That is such a demanding and great hole.  I really like the combo of the brutal challenge of the 4th followed by the short but tricky 5th.  A perfect pairing of two great par fours, and one of my favorite sets of back-to-back par fours.

Mike

Shane Wright

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31:30 PM »
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:34:29 PM by Shane Wright »

Jim Tang

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
Rob -

I agree w/ Bill.  Not a bad drive north from RCD to Portrush.  I think it took around 2 hours.  From Portrush I drove down to Lahinch.  Now that was a BRUTAL drive!!!

Jim Tang

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
Shane -

Right you are.  Calamity is unbelievable.  The day I played the wind was ripping aross that hole from the right.  I had to throw the tee shot out there 20 yards right of the green and trust the wind to bring it back.  I ended up on the left fringe.  Just an awesome hole.

Shane Wright

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 09:47:35 PM »
I have to say it is one of my favorite par 3's.  Our buddy Steve was not so fortunate.  His ball never had a chance.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Jim,

I completely agree with your assessment of White Rocks, and I really like the photo you posted.  Part of what makes the hole fascinating to me is that the little strip of fairway to the right is quite narrow, making it tough to play even a safe shot out to the left with a mid iron off of the most exposed tee on the course.  I can remember looking at that landing zone, putting away my iron, and saying to my playing partners that I might as well hit driver if the safe shot is that demanding.

Bill,

Fortunately for the world of golf no one is threatening to let me put my mitts on ANY course, much less the Valley.  It is interesting though.  I think both RCD and Dunluce could be greatly improved by carving up there secondary courses just a bit.  This is just my opinion, but Dunluce is presently a 9 and Valley may be a 6.  If I were a member I would rather have a 10 and a 4.

Brent Carlson

Re: Royal Portrush in Pictures New
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics Jim Tang.  It whets the appetite as I'll be there in 10 days.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:48:59 PM by Brent Carlson »

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 07:45:14 AM »
Jim,

Great pix.  But where's the fairway?  ;)  Now I'm really sorry we didn't make the journey up from RCD.  :'(
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:23 AM »
Jim,

I completely agree with your assessment of White Rocks, and I really like the photo you posted.  Part of what makes the hole fascinating to me is that the little strip of fairway to the right is quite narrow, making it tough to play even a safe shot out to the left with a mid iron off of the most exposed tee on the course.  I can remember looking at that landing zone, putting away my iron, and saying to my playing partners that I might as well hit driver if the safe shot is that demanding.

Bill,

Fortunately for the world of golf no one is threatening to let me put my mitts on ANY course, much less the Valley.  It is interesting though.  I think both RCD and Dunluce could be greatly improved by carving up there secondary courses just a bit.  This is just my opinion, but Dunluce is presently a 9 and Valley may be a 6.  If I were a member I would rather have a 10 and a 4.

I just saw the second course at RCD during the Walker Cup, didn't play it, but my impression was that the Valley was much stronger.  I think the Valley Course would be much higher rated if it weren't the back up to the Dunluce.   It's really a terrific course in its own right.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back