News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Well, for just about the first time in 49 years I've given some preliminary thought to Christmas presents. Another sign that the inglories of youth are receding yet further upon the horizon. Given the regrettable behavioral patterns of my few remaining friends a present on the expensive side would not really be in order. But, you know, sometimes you have to do the right thing - even when it goes against the instinctual pull. Although I myself am not successful in adhering to any lofty standards of decency there are a number of people on here for whom correct behavior is not merely some antiquated concept from a history book.

Well, with that time of the year coming up you might want to give a bit of consideration to the hand crafted trad headcovers by the fabulous Ju Ju McCall. We're talking about a master craftsman (craftsperson?) here - and a micro-story that intrigues me. Extremely high quality craftsmanship done by a lone woman somewhere in the L.A. canyons. And apparently everyone is exceedingly fond of her.
Well, I was looking around at headcover choices and stumbled on this and found the story as well as the headcovers appealing. So, I thought a few of you might be interested in Ju Ju as well.
No, I don't have any arrangement with her. I wasn't sure if she was still around and still doing her solo work so I just sent an email asking if she was still at it - and promptly got one back saying that she was.

Lately, I've been given a bit of thought to the subject of master craftsmanship - and how an impressive culture would not take such for granted but properly appreciate and encourage those practitioners.

I asked her if she would care to share a bit of her story with us and she kindly replied:

Hi Chris,
  I have attached  some pictures of which I took and also ones my customers took and sent to me after they got them.

Golf History: Played a lot of competitive golf here in Southern California and won many club championships and tournaments over the years. Most exciting year I ever had was in 2005 when I was the Low Medalist here in So Cal and went on to the finals in the USGA Womens Mid-Amateur at Shadow Hawk CC in Sugarland, TX. To top it all off played with Carole Semple Thompson (8) time champion for the first 2 days. What a thrill for a new kid on the block.
I was very fortunate to meet a Pro who decided to work with me but only if I did the tournaments he wanted me to compete in. The Mid-Amateur was one of them. He worked with me and took me to some of the greatest golf courses here in So Cal. He worked with me Full Time every day for a year prior to the Mid-Am. Prior to his offer work with me I asked him How Much? His answer was Not Much. I asked him again How Much is Not Much? His answer was I will do it for the "Good of the game."
Unfortunately, but after the Mid-Am I was injured and had to give up competitive golf. Now its only some money games with the guys at our club off the White tees twice a week.

Head Cover Business: After the above happened I started  to make some head covers here and there and in early 2008 made a couple sets for my girlfriends. They said I was crazy to make them and give them away. They are so good you should put them up on the Internet and sell them. I did and sold the first set of 4 for $135.00 and boom that is where it all started. After quite a few more people started putting me up on Internet sites all over and many I don't even know about. I have done over 1000 sets so far and believe it or not 95% are all different.
I ship all over the world and glad to say I even have some sets in Scotland, Ireland & England. I am happy to say I have a wonderful following and get some real nice repeat business.
I have also been approached some of the larger companies to partner with me, buy me out or buy in large quantities. To this I have said no and would like my small operation to stay manageable by myself and with help from my husband. I still like to play golf.

Head Covers: All the covers are personally hand knit my me and no machine work whatsoever. I use only very high quality 100% Wool. The thickness and durability shows when they are complete and I know it.

---

Well lads, there you have it. If you wish to contact our highly talented friend you can reach her here:
jujumc@charter.net

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 10:27:22 PM by Chris Buie »

JSlonis

Re: Expert Craftsmanship (the lady who hand crafts knitted head covers)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
Chris,

I can vouch for JuJu's work as well.  Outstanding covers. They hold up great as well.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
I've always liked Jan Craig's covers but don't hold up too well.  I'll give these a look.  Thanks, Chris. 

I like that she plays in the men's money games from the whites.  Mucci would make her play back.   ;)

JSlonis

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
I've always liked Jan Craig's covers but don't hold up too well.  I'll give these a look.  Thanks, Chris. 

I like that she plays in the men's money games from the whites.  Mucci would make her play back.   ;)

Bill,

In my experience, they hold up much better than the Jan Craig's.

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
JSlonis:

That is nice to hear you find them outstanding. That was my understanding. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered typing this in. That plus the storyline made me think this would be worth posting.

Bill:

Yes, you have to keep an eye on that Mucci chap. There's no telling what kind of mischief he may be up to at any given time. I'm guessing it would be a good match whichever tees she plays from though. It's clear she knows how to work her way around a golf course.

Greg Clark

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanks for the post Chris.  Really nice stuff.  I also love the pic of the old wing backed Macgregor blades.  Classic.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:38:09 PM »

JuJu did mind and they are top quality.  Service was outstanding as well.

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:49:52 AM »
I was thinking our old friend Melvyn must be searching for a nice Christmas gift for his R&A buddy Peter Dawson. Maybe I should send him her info?

Ju Ju sent over a few more photos you might enjoy looking over. She said a guy in Britain was getting ready to play in a relatively big golf tournament and his clubs were stolen right before the event. He ended up borrowing a set from a fellow club member he didn't know well. This guy had a set of her covers and...you guessed it, the person who borrowed the clubs just had to have a set from her right away.
So that's the way it has pretty much gone for Ju Ju, a word of mouth thing with the people being struck by how very fine her work is - then getting in touch with her.
Anyway, here are some more examples:

By the way, there is another presumably small company which appears to make unusually fine niche golf items. I've never talked to them but their wares certainly look to have craftsmanship of a very high caliber:
http://www.cheesebrough.com/

It's fascinating and impressive to see the artisans in any field that are particularly talented and produce something distinctive. In a world of functionalistic and uninspiring products such people should be encouraged. After all, that which is in our environment does have a significant amount of importance.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
From a 1932 article, the first knitted headcovers?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Chris,

Cheers lad...to a fine 2013! Sweet looking headcovers. I'll be in touch shortly.

Warm regards,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »

JuJu did mind and they are top quality.  Service was outstanding as well.

Awfully nice of Violet to let her Dad use her headcovers....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 08:17:48 PM by Sean Leary »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back