News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Donald Steel is posted
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:39:42 AM »
Ironically, the golf events most worth watching aren't televised  :-\ . For me, the one that best captures the spirit and integrity of the game is the President's Putter. Held as an annual gathering for The Oxford and Cambridge Golfing Society,  the studs of the game (Hutchinson, Croome, Darwin, Low, Whethered, Micklem, on and on) represent the past Presidents and Captains of this 112 year old institution. Played (almost) every year at Rye, heroes like Sir Ernest Holderness and Donald Steel are the stuff of legends. I did not know this but it was Steel who coined the phrase 'serious fun' as a way to describe the matches that he so vigorously competed in for decades (he won in 1964, 1970, and 1982  :o).

Steel's loving write-up of Rye in his cornerstone Classic Golf Links of England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland is a must read. In fact, throughout the whole book, Steel demonstrates that his eye for architecture is as keen as anyone's. Personally, I find that his 1992 book offers the most assured reviews of courses in that part of the world of any book I know. Does any one dispute that? I would be curious. I can't think of a single passage/point that I would quibble with (versus the occasional dog like Carne that Finegan throws in or Doak's air balls on Deal and Seacroft).

Attention to all publishers: please contact Mr. Steel immediately re: his answer to question five. I would hope that readers of this web site would be good for at least a 1,000 hardback copies of a companion heathland book to Steel's links one.

As an architect, Steel's work in North America reminds me of no other architect. In particular, his less is more style at Red Tail certainly flew in the face of most courses that were opening at the time. With less than forty bunkers, it was in stark contrast to courses with big beautiful shaggy style bunkers yet Red Tail is rife with challenge.

Last fall, based on high praise from photographer JoAnn Dost, I drove up to see Primland near the VA/NC border. Once again, the striking thing about the course is how unique it appears. I had lunch with a Golf Week rater last week who saw Primland last year too and he summarized it well when he said it is one of  'coolest' places he had seen in a long time. I knew exactly what he meant.

Fortunately, Mr. Steel keeps doing work closer and closer to Southern Pines with his latest being the re-do of the Carlson Farms course at Greensboro Country Club. Hopefully, member Greg Holland will weigh in and share his thoughts (and some photographs) on what Steel has accomplished there.

Anyway, what a great ambassador to the game Mr. Steel has been through his playing, writing, and course designs and we are honored that this seventy-two year old gentlemen took time to share some of his thoughts with us in this month's Feature Interview.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:08:07 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Sean_A

Re: Feature Interview with Donald Steel is posted
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:29:10 AM »
There are few people who can claim to be a renaissance figure in golf.  Donald Steel through his writing, playing ability, course architecture, speaking and administration can surely lay claim to this title.  I have a lot of time for Mr Steel and am over-joyed to see him interviewed on this forum.  Thank you Ran.

BTW Carne a dog?  Given its lack of budget I think it remarkable course of quality and character. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:40:34 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:08 AM »
Really good read, that interview.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 06:05:20 PM by Scott Warren »

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 07:29:58 AM »
Great interview Ran!

"It is said that the hardest part of playing Rye is the second shots on the short holes."

I love that quote.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:27:24 AM »
I'm glad to read this interview. I owe Donald a lot. He got me started in golf writing. Thank you, Ran.

jim_lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
I'm afraid we may never see the likes of Mr. Steel again. A fine player, wonderful writer, and excellent architect. Name another living today.

I first became aware of Mr. Steel when I had the opportunity to play Cherokee Plantation. Unfortunately, the course if best known for its very small and very expensive membership. Not many outsiders get to play it. If you can figure a way to get access, go for it. (Don't call me. I can't help!).

The two most memorable features of that course (not counting the setting) are the bunkers and the green complexes. I think there are only about 26 bunkers, and everyone has a purpose. They are revetted and sit like little eyebrows just above the surface. Some are hard to see at all (like TOC), but when you stand at the greens and look back down the fairway, they jump out at you.  The greens are fairly small and remind me a little of Pinehurst #2.

Cherokee Plantation is built on flat land in low country South Carolina. I went to play Primland specifically to see how Steel whould deal with a mountain site. I am now convinced that the man can build an excellent course anywhere, on any terrain. Primeland is also a little off the beaten path, but it is available to all comers. If you find yourself in Virginia, WVa, NC, or East Tennessee, I urge you play it. No, I would not fly from California just to play it. Cherokee Plantation, maybe.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 06:56:42 AM by jim_lewis »
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »
Given the general level of hatred of Mr Steel's work on the Eden Course almost universally expressed around here (certainly by me, at least!), I'm rather surprised he wasn't asked to comment.

A missed opportunity.

cheers,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
Paul Daly, owner of Full Swing Publishing sums it up best..... “in Donald Steel’s profession, three skills are at hand: playing ability, writing ability, and design ability. At each of these three, one can readily point to others who may be more proficient. But if you take the three skills as a composite, Donald Steel is the leading golf personality in the world today and among the top-five of all-time.”

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
Given the general level of hatred of Mr Steel's work on the Eden Course almost universally expressed around here (certainly by me, at least!), I'm rather surprised he wasn't asked to comment.

A missed opportunity.

cheers,
FBD.

+1, Bigtime.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

A missed opportunity.

cheers,
FBD.

+1, Bigtime.

Opportunity knocks gentlemen as the venerable Mr. Steel is now listed in the GCA.COM member roster.  

A warm welcome to you Mr. Steel.  I shall be visiting Primland this spring and cannot wait.  Thank you for the interview!

Eric

JNC Lyon

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »
This interview got me inspired for Rye next week!

Steel appears to be a very underrated architect, a true minimalist.  I will have to seek out his courses in the near future.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Ben Stephens

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 07:31:54 AM »
Marty,

I suppose we don't know the full story about Steel's work on the Eden course especially the water holes which look totally out of character with the rest of the course.

Case scenarios

1 - the Links Trust wanted an irrigation pond as part of the course that Donald Steel reluctantly put one in and that the greens were located away from the water.

2 - Donald Steel wanted a water hazard there.

3 - Or an associate of Donald Steel designed these holes.

I assume building an irrigation pond was expensive that the actual holes was built cheaply

Only St Andrews Links Trust and Donald Steel know the truth behind this design

Its of personal opinion that the greens on the Strathtyrum Course (and Stapleford Park) has been overcooked.

I hope to meet Donald Steel in person in the near future.

Cheers
Ben 

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
A few pics of Primland in the fall:

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 05:26:56 PM »
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40817.0/

you can find some pre-opening pics of steel's most recent project, GCC, on this thread.  i'll update with more pics as soon as it greens up again.

Norbert P

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
  It's always a pleasure to read another installment of Feature Interview.  

" . . .  5. Have you ever considered doing an inland companion to the superb Classic Golf Links of England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland first published in 1992?

I should love to do a follow up to The Classic Golf Links. All I lack is a publisher. My suggestion would be a book on heath land courses. My liking for writing about courses is a legacy of Darwin. . . ."

As a happy owner of Mr. Steel's terrific, though dog-eared, Links book, I would really like to see this Heath version materialize. Perhaps self-publishing is the answer?   Anybody who can keep the spirit of Bernard Darwin alive gets my support.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 05:49:33 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

George Pazin

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »
Thanks for the interview, terrific as always. Mr. Steel's Classic Links is one of my all time favorite golf books.

As for the missed opportunity, these Feature Interviews are not 60 Minutes style interrogations, they are shared passions.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:42 PM »
George,
with the very greatest of respect. You and I have been around this place for a very long time and I have come to enjoy and appreciate your viewpoint on many topics. In this case, please allow me a small venting of my spleen.

The Eden was one of H S Colt's very finest products. It was emasculated in the name of a Driving Range. I can think of very few other more offensive alterations to a once marvellous golf course (other than ploughing up or being purchased by La Donald, perchance...)

I offer my opinion that the Eden alterations were ill-conceived, poorly executed and, in the context of the other works done around the time, a 'missed opportunity', in the sense that 27 other holes were built which are, to this day, less than grudgingly accepted by local and visiting golfers alike. Who do you know comes to St Andrews to play the Strathtyrum?

I often use 'The Pond' as my strawman for my dislike of the Eden alterations. Believe me, it is simply the best example of a manifestation of careless alteration of the great Links of St Andrews which I can use to illustrate the lack of responsibility, the ignorance of history and the total disregard of architectural integrity of the courses of the town which the Links Trust could possibly have displayed.

For those reasons, I find the work a 'missed opportunity'. Please excuse my emotion.

I'd be more than delighted to hear Mr Steel's reasoning for the work which was carried out there. I can think of no better place than GolfClubAtlas for that to take place. He would receive (from me at least) a very interested and egalitarian hearing. Dispassion, however, I can't promise!

best,
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
Martin, I understand your point and your passion, and you have every right to feel the way you do, including being upset with me. I'm simply saying when it comes to these interviews, it is understandable that Ran chooses a friendlier format.

As an analogy, when we have the Get To Know threads, I think most understand they are an opportunity to have a little fun, not an opportunity to grill a person.

However, that's all just my opinion, I could be wrong. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 06:54:28 AM »
Donald Steel asked me to make the following post on his behalf:

"I agree with you about the Eden, having played it first as a thirteen year old. I was raised and have played all my golfing life on a Colt course (Denham to the west of London). However, a golf course architect can only work within the land and budget he is given. The changes to the Eden were part and parcel of the creation of a Master Plan by the St Andrews Links Trust. At the forefront was the construction of elaborate practice facilities -something St Andrews incredibly lacked until the 1980s and so was much needed.

As a result, the 1st, 2nd , 17th and 18th holes on the old Eden had to be demolished in order to house the driving range (nowhere else for it) and the starting position relocated to the headquarters of the Links Trust. The only land that could possibly have accommodated the loss of four or five holes was one of the wettest and flattest fields in Fife into which flood water from the Eden Estuary flowed at the bottom end. The only way to deal with this water was by drainage and the construction of a lake- an entirely practical solution approved by technical experts although this part was emphatically not links.The 1980 changes at St Andrews were all carried out on a tight budget. By contrast, the new Castle Castle course has had riches heaped on it.

Architects, implementing change to established courses, can be likened to reincarnated versions of the original designers. Colt may have hated seeing his masterpiece broken up but, to be fair, it all has to be judged against the strategic background of what replaced it. If it is true that the Eden suffered, the creation of the Practice facilities, the Strathyrum, the Balgove and a new clubhouse (something the old Eden lacked), meant that the net gain to St Andrews was enormous". 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:35:13 AM »
Ran - You should attach these comments on the Eden to the Feature Interview, otherwise they will be lost to those who visit the interview in the future. This is too important a nugget to reside only in the forum.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back