News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Deltona and Sugarloaf??
« on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
My wife and I are going to be in Ocoee/Clermont area next week and I'm looking at places to play.  We are budget-minded, and not all that fussy about conditions generally.

We played Sugarloaf a couple of years ago, and I'd like to go back, but the Hampton web site indicates that no tee times are available.  I've heard that they are taking anyone for reasonable prices, has anyone here been there recently?

I also have been thinking about trying to get up to Deltona Club, despite the hour+ drive.  It's rates are amazingly low, but I have seen a couple of real negative reviews online at worldgolf.com. One of them sounded like it hadn't been overseeded, which might actually appeal to both me and my wife.

How about Joe Lee's Palisades CC near Clermont?

Comments and suggestions re. the courses and how best to get a tee time would be helpful.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Brandon Johnson

Re: Deltona and Sugarloaf??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:32:54 PM »
I’m a big fan of the Deltona Club. IMHO it is worth the trek if you have not seen it. Especially if you have already played Sugarloaf Mt. It is very low key and friendly. There are several holes that I look forward to playing. The long par four 4th gets the round going. Both Par 5’s on the front (#5 and #7) are very solid, #8 the short 4 is interesting even after they removed the huge oak trees protecting the left angle approach. Hole #12 on is great golf on rolling terrain that you don’t get to experience too often in Florida. For me the routing utilizes the topo better than Sugarloaf Mt in that you get to experience large sweeping rolls, use slopes to work the ball further down the fairway or on to greens and in general the topo reveals the hole to you instead of hide it like Sugarloaf Mt does on several occasions. The bunker styles are different but at the Deltona Club they are more flashy, visible and make a larger statement. Don’t get me wrong I like Sugarloaf Mt. and can’t wait to play it again but I prefer Deltona Club.

Having said all that the course IS different now than when it first opened. They have removed A LOT of the native scrub vegetation  bordering holes that, in my opinion, gave it a natural/wild edge. Unfortunately that is gone and they have replaced some of that scrub material with Palms.?? ???

I played there in Feb during the cold spell and the course had taken a beating. Because they don’t have wall to wall cart paths the Bermuda is taking a beating and it got worse with it going completely dormant during our unusually cold snap. They did not over seed so it was certainly firm and fast. No contrast between fairways and greens so if you love the seamless look you will like it.
It has been slightly warmer and I noticed some Bermuda at another course starting to green up a bit but it certainly isn’t growing yet.

The Bahia roughs around bunkers and in the out of play areas have been hit hard by the cold. (Plus they started mowing them close and tight because of lost balls) Again, in my opinion, the loss of contrast between Bermuda fairways and the outer roughs doesn’t let the course shine with a unique natural character like it did after it first opened. I guess it is easier to play but I didn’t think it was too difficult to begin with.  For me, the course is a great strategic challenge that allows well thought out and executed shots shots be rewarded with a good score.

The greens were VERY slick. Smooth too. Nothing like putting on dormant Bermuda!! My playing partner putted off a few greens. It was tough to control chip/pitch, and bump & run shots on those  bare dormant lies too. You certainly experienced the “Rub of the green” and “play it as it lies" unpredictability.

I may even give the nod to the Deltona Club for having a better set of greens? Strange because I FEEL IN LOVE with Sugarloaf’s greens and really enjoy playing them with the various devilish pin locations. Maybe the verdict is still out for me on this one but I do think the greens and greens complexes at Deltona Club offer variety and excitement.

Others worth seeing might be Southern Dunes in Haines City. Victoria Hills that is really close to the Deltona Club. I like Bobby Weeds redo of New Smyrna Beach. (Even farther east!) An old DJ Ross course. It was 25 bones all you could play over the holidays. I played 29 holes! Good set of greens too. Hey…make it a day at the beach. New Smyrna has a nice boardwalk that takes you through some cool dunes. Would be perfect for a golf course.

You and your wife might enjoy a short walk around the ever player friendly 9 hole muni Winter Park CC in Winter Park. There are 4-5 greens there that I really like the contours on. Than you can take in a Winter Park boat tour on the lakes and end with a fancy dinner on Park Ave. with some window shopping.  :)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:45:06 PM »
Ken,
I imagine you've been in the area before, so any ride that takes you through Orlando isn't worth it if you're on vacation.  ;D

Palisades:  is fun, some good holes and some quirky holes. You always have to check conditions before plunking your money down.

Swiss Fairways (out toward Groveland): another fun place to play. Very reasonable fees, nothing outstanding, but enough interest to make you happy.

Sanctuary Ridge: a wild ride. not to be missed as there must be over 100' of elevation change on this baby. Probably a little more money then the others, but conditions will be that much better.

Highlands Reserve: is not a long ride s. on rt. 27 and is probably the best conditioned, most bang-for-the-buck course near Clermont.
Get on their mailing list now and you'll get some very good offers from them.

p.s.  Mt. Dora is a great little town, old school for Fl. On the way you can find Sarabande, which is right near Mission Inn, Deer Island, just across the lake from town, and CC of Mt. Dora, just north e. of the town. All three are inexpensive, conditioning will probably be close between CC of Mt. D and Deer Island, with Sarabande close behind.

I haven't been to the area in two years, but that's been how they've played over several previous years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:58:24 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:02 PM »
Hey Ken!

Sugarloaf Mountain has not been over-seeded either, but the greens are in great shape...by far my favorite in that area...I would just call for tee times...the Hampton website doesn't work too well IMO.  Palisades isn't bad, but nothing there stands out to me as special.  Sanctuary Ridge (formerly Diamond Players Club) in Clermont is quirky but a lot of fun.  You should also visit (and play if you don't mind taking a tour of the incredible clubhouse and paying $100 per round) Bella Collina.  I haven't been to Seminole, Cypress, or several other historically great clubhouses, but the clubhouse at Bella Collina is unbelievable.  There has been a lot of talk on GCA and in the national news regarding the failed community plan, but the course is 75 % very good, and in good shape. 

Have fun!

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:35:58 AM »
Good stuff, guys.  I have played Sanctuary Ridge, but I always like a replay, so it's good to hear that others recommend it.

I have an aunt, who is a very avid golfer living at King Ridge, and still plays a lot in her late 70s. but she's down to hitting it 100 yards off the tee so she likes forward tees under 5,000 yards. One course she's been playing lately is Otter Creek, wihch looks like it would eat my lunch due to all the trees.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back