News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dale Jackson

Re: Starting Tues, 3/23/10 - Get To Know Jeff Mingay
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 07:04:10 PM »
Jeff,

How do we get Ran to get Royal Colwood off his next fifty list, and into Courses by Country?
Does Bob need to send him a special invite to Sagebrush in August with follow on trip to Royal Colwood?

Standing invitation to Ran (and Ben) has been on the table since I joined this group just over a year ago.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:33:31 AM by Dale Jackson »
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 08:54:06 PM »
Jeff,

How do we get Ran to get Royal Colwood off his next fifty list, and into Courses by Country?
Does Bob need to send him a special invite to Sagebrush in August with follow on trip to Royal Colwood?

Garland,

I hadn't realized Ran had Royal Colwood on the "Next Fifty" list.

Ben's been to Sagebrush. But, somewhat obvious, Ran hasn't. A trip to Sagebrush - which I know Ran intends to make - would be remiss without a stop in Victoria to see Colwood and VGC.

Can't say I'm in a position to presuade him though  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Greg Murphy

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »
Jeff,

What is your favourite course with the most "blah" bunkering? Given the ok by this course or club, would you try to improve upon the "blah"? If not, why not? If yes, what would be your strategy?

Any thoughts on routing a course while hanging on to the back of a snowmobile, facing backwards?

Played Blackhawk once. Most memorable holes for me were 11 and 12. Why do you think that would be so?

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
Hi Greg.

Man... I've thought about your bunker question this morning. It's a good one. But, there are too many aged courses of good quality out there which currently feature "blah" bunkers - as a result of the affects of time, etc. - to pick one. And, I don't want to (potentially) offend anyone either, by naming names!

Your question does spark another thought relative to bunkers though:

Too often, architects have implemented a "trademark" bunker style at course after course without drawing on unique site characteristics, heritage, and even evolutionary factors to determine a distinctive bunker style. My approach is always to draw on these important factors to create unique bunker style at different courses. Using a practical example, we won't be implementing the same bunker style we're building at Victoria Golf Club at Overlake G&CC. While both courses have a "Macan connection", site characteritics and design history at these two courses are very different, dictating distinctive bunker style.   

As has been discussed here, there's really no such thing as a "Ross bunker style" or "Tillinghast bunker style" or a "Macan bunker style". The works of a true artist cannot be defined by a single rule. Historical materials prove this.

Throughout my career thus far, I've designed and personally shaped a lot of bunkers. I'm proud to say that the bunkers at Blackhawk are different than those at Sagebrush for example; and, the bunkers at Cabot Links will be different from both of those courses. Every golf course deserves to be distinct; and, as you know, bunker style plays a big part in creating such distinctiveness. When it comes to renovation/restoration work, delving into the design history of individual courses, drawing on heritage and the nature of distinct properties and, in some cases, incorporating elements which have evolved over time greatly assist with creating a bunker style that is distinctive. 
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
Greg,

Any thoughts on routing a course while hanging on to the back of a snowmobile, facing backwards?

I can't chaulk it up as one of the highlights of my career thus far... though it is memorable  ;D

Played Blackhawk once. Most memorable holes for me were 11 and 12. Why do you think that would be so?

Most who've played Blackhawk once clearly remember the dramatic downhill tee shot at the 11th. It's arguably the most impressive view presented throughout the course. And, as you know, most golfers love downhill tee shots like this one... where the ball seems to hang in the air forever. The 11th fairway is ultra-wide, too, which encourages a confident swing. It's a tee shot you really look forward to at Blackhawk. The dramatic bunker scheme and bunker style at this hole certainly enhances the large-scale picture presented at 11th tee as well. It's a fun tee shot and a visually stimulating hole... which makes it memorable.

Conversely, the par-3 12th is scary from the back tee. While the natural pond there is pretty, it seems like it's miles to carry it on line toward the green (it's really not). It's pleasant to be playing next to the impressive North Saskatchewan River for the first time at this hole, too. And, the green site is very attractive: Tied into a subtle hillside, framed by mature trees. Again, it's a very pleasant setting at the 12th... even though the hole is brutally tough!
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back