News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

We need a recent aerial map, with 1" - 100' topographical detailing, couple hundred acres.

First estimate is cost-prohibitive for a small group of amateurs looking at something slightly more ambitious than a feasibility study.

What are our best options?   

Please feel free to contact me via email, as well at mik4cj@yahoo.com

Thanks for any advice.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:43:50 AM by Mike Cirba »

Brian Phillips

Re: What's the most cost-effective way to get a detailed aerial topo?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »
Mike,

We buy all of ours from getmapping.com.  The actual cost of the file is quite small (€100-150) and plotting will vary depending on where you get it printed (we plot our own stuff).

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 06:46:48 AM »
Now there's a question I was just going to post myself... perfect timing...

Thanks for the info Brian... So you reckon I can get two areas (one near Aberdeen, the other County Kerry) for about €150 each for a couple of hundred acres with getmapping?... What contouring detail (and tolerance) will you get?... OS can really do only 5m contouring which isn't accurate enough... I think they can do spot heights in 10m grids meaning I could draw my own contours but it's expensive for a few square kilometres...

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 06:57:34 AM »
The aerial photo is accurate to about 20cm detail and the contour mapping is up to 1m mapping but not for Aberdeen area...ahem ahem   ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:46 AM »
I used to buy off ordnance survey (special products) average cost was about £1500 per golf course with 1m vI. Recently got 250 acres done in Bulgaria for £2500. In 2008 I used a local surveyor for a couple of jobs because I wanted tree canopys aswell,  sites were 50 acres and 35 acres, its hard to get inside £1000 its a few days work for someone afterall. Brian does getmapping provide good accuracy or is it a bit straight-liney?
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »
Mike, it depends on the land location, but sometimes the state depts of transportation have really good aerial and topo maps when the land is within a mile or so of a major state hwy.  Also, many county land planning or other county offices have good topo maps and aerials.  I obtained several from our county.  Often aerials are on a transparent negative, and have to be brought to a blueprinter for obtaining useable copies.  But the times I did that, the blueprint copies were only about $10.00, back in about 1992-3, IIRC.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:45:42 AM »
Brian/Adrian/RJ,

Thank you for the good information.   We're also going to see what's available from the local government.

Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back