News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Who Plays Winter Golf?
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
You know what bugs me most about winter golf?  The summer dress codes in effect.

The winter game would be a LOT more fun if we could wear (god forbid!) denim - it's warmer, it's easy to clean, and it's cheap if you need to replace them.

My club in Oregon allowed denim from November thru April, and play increased because of it.

tlavin

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 09:26:37 AM »
You know what bugs me most about winter golf?  The summer dress codes in effect.

The winter game would be a LOT more fun if we could wear (god forbid!) denim - it's warmer, it's easy to clean, and it's cheap if you need to replace them.

My club in Oregon allowed denim from November thru April, and play increased because of it.

Dan,

I'm with you.  The denim allergy is irritating enough in the summer, but when mid-October rolls around, there's no need for it.  Luckily enough, the denim problem is only a seasonal allergy at Beverly and I'm headed out to the course today in a nice pair of mom jeans ready to deal with a big southwest wind that is bringing in a rare 54 degree day in December.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
Turtle Necks! A Beanie over the ears is essential, but matching it with a flipped up TN makes it all work. Year round here in OR. Hopefully a round on Civil War Day!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Matt OBrien

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »

Dan,
I think you should wear denim and then wear a pair of zero restriction pants over them!! They will never see them and it looks like you have a rain suit on. Thats the trick i use when i caddy in cold weather

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
couple of points- proper layering so you can swing a club-long john top and bottom and a good loose wind sweater/fleece. And a good pair of winter golf gloves. and a hat and ski socks.....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JR Potts

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 07:22:14 PM »
After braving the elements this past week for our turkey bowl, I would suggest Under Armor and as Shivas said, wind/rainpants.

That said, winter in Chicago is for shooting skeet and trap.  The golf course below 40 degrees is useless to me.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »
That's too bad since there's no bowl trip for Mr. Zook's boys this year  :'(  Go Cats!

Jud_T

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »
Guys,

Let's face it-the Big 10 just ain't what it used to be.   And it probably never will be again.  And this is coming from a Michigan alum...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

V. Kmetz

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 08:14:40 PM »
There's an entire category of local courses in the Met area that have at least 80 players out on any day that might get into the 50s temperature Dec - March.  If there's no wind and good sun, people (including me) will challenge a day in the low 40s.

For 6 years I played a role in the oldest Winter Golf organization known, "The Sno-Birds" at Siwanoy CC - started back in 1908.  Over the course or October and November, some 40-60 players will try to qualify for a 16 (or 32) man match bracket that commences after Thanksgiving with each round being played the next five weekends into January.  They usually have a Sno-Bird Member Guest on Dec 31st,

Until the greens freeze, the matches are played over the regular front nine, but when ice and snow come to dominate they quickly employ the "Sno-Bird" course which, though morphing some over the years, is a significantly shortened, amalgamated version of the Front nine, with the targets now being tiny circular discs of hard packed sand, infused with oil (to keep moisture and snow off).  the flagsticks are broomsticks, which not only is a charming bit of arcanery but also a practical matter as you use the broom to sweep the green smooth of footprints and tracks for the next group.

I have caddied for the sno-birds a few times in light snow to moderate snow, but the Sno-Bird member guest of 1996 was after one and during a seperate out and out blizzard.  The drifts were thigh high in spots and it was absolutely amazing that we lost only a few balls in 225 shots of a foursome.  Sno-bird Rules are absolutely the last word in "liberal" winter rules, but that day was as close to defeating any enterprise of Golf as any could be.

Yet, with the aid of enough liquor to create a $500 bar tab, the six (myself, the other caddie and four players) of us made it in just under three hours and I had the single greatest day in the snow since I was a child on a toboggan.

unless your an elite player or uptight about your handicap, Sno-Birds proves, to me, that Golf is entirely about the company you keep.  Alone, you are truly a nut - perhaps well intentioned - no matter what private intimate inspirations may come toting your own bag in the lonely sunset.  With another, better still a friend - it becomes an ennobling, affirming activity, even in the snow.

Cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Kirk Gill

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
There's a course in Denver that uses a cart dragging a hunk of chain link fence after it to break up the snow in the fairways so it melts faster. I remember playing on New Year's Day once where there were mounds of snow on either side of every fairway, and piled around the rock hard greens. They give out little styrofoam cups to use as tees. All good fun.

I was also playing once at Arrowhead when it started snowing mid-round. Of course we finished out, and I think the staff was pissed at us for not quitting, as we god some rather harsh looks when we walked into the temp clubhouse afterwards.

Also played a course up in Estes Park once in a snow/thunder storm. Lightning and snowflakes. Nice.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

JR Potts

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2009, 08:54:14 PM »
Guys,

Let's face it-the Big 10 just ain't what it used to be.   And it probably never will be again.  And this is coming from a Michigan alum...

Damn admission standards....

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 05:24:43 AM »
Cold makes no difference to me - its the rain I hate.  I figure if guys can smash into each other playing football in the winter than golf is a doddle.  Indeed, a fine winter's day is my favourite sort of day to play golf.  I believe, even living in Michigan for several years of this period, I have played a game each month for something like 15 years straight - probably slightly longer.  There used to be a course off 23 south of I94 that stayed open during thew winter.  I don't recall its name because we always called it the Blue Collar CC.  Truth be told, it isn't a bad little 9 holer - there are 4 or 5 really good holes. I used to love that place.  In essence, it was a bar with a huge rolling bbq playground attached which happened to have 9 greens.  

Of course living England golf is truly a year round sport.  One of the reasons I joined Burnham is because they don't shut due to frost - its a proper club - not one of these places that treats grass (thats right - it is only grass!) like gold.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:30:48 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »
Sean
I agree winter golf in England can be great, particularly on a dry day!

My problem is that most of the courses in my area are built on clay and turn into mudbaths in winter.  That's why I prefer to get to a coastal links or a nice dry heathland course whenever possible.  I'm looking forward to a trip to Woodhall Spa on Friday.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jud_T

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »
Sean-I'm with you.  Cold and wind are vastly preferrably to rain.  When I first played Lost Dunes it was 41 degrees, windy with drizzle.  I was literally the only one on the course, they locked up and told me to let myself out....Of course I got 36 in... 8)

John Moore II

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »
I've played in every condition allowable by course managers. I played once when it was below 30, but sunny. Of course the wind was blowing a good bit.

I'll probably get my senses challenged when we get to NYC in January or whenever we pull into port there. I'm playing, I don't care what the conditions are, so long as the course operator will let me out.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back