News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Fundraiser to save Sharp Park, October 22!
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
Attention all Bay Area Golfers! Save this date!

There will be a fundraiser to save Sharp Park Golf Course in the Sharp Park clubhouse, Thursday, October 22 from 6:00-8:30pm.
More details to follow. 

Josh Smith

Re: Fundraiser to save Sharp Park, October 22!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »
Bump.

I am planning on attending with shaper George Waters and a couple of us greenskeepers from Cal Club.

Anyone else heading over?

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »
Josh -

Glad you are coming. The more the merrier. Will see you there.

http://sfpublicgolf.com/AnnouncementRetrieve.aspx?ID=10245

DT

Sean_Tully

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
Guys-

I will try my best to make it. Missed this the first time and wish I didn't as I would of had more time to get more people there. Damn. Hope it is a large turnout, that would make a great statement in the papers. I heard that they are having free beer!!! 8)

Tullly

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:12:31 AM »
Trying as well, but some of us have evening work hours as well.  Got a call to India at 9:30pm.

Sean,

If you decide to go, maybe we carpool?

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matt Day

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
hope it goes well  :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Last night's fundraiser was a terrific success. The turnout was very gratifying. There must have been well over 200 people there and the room was packed beyond capacity. In addition to several local golf luminaries, there were at least 8-10 GCA-ers in attendance. Thanks very much for your support!

The reality is the hard work has just begun. Convincing golfers that Sharp Park golf course deserves to be saved is easy. Convincing the non-golfing "powers that be" of the same is a much more difficult task.

Please keep on eye on www.sfpublicgolf.com to follow events as they develop. At some point, there may be a call to attend a meeting or hearing of the "powers that be." There is strength in numbers. 

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
Everything I've read about the original course makes me think the course was something special, but I've never seen a single photo. Has anyone seen photo of the original course?

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:16 PM »
Tom M. -

There is a chapter on Sharp Park in Daniel Wexler's "Missing Links" book. I do not have a copy of the book, but I think there are a couple of old photos of the course in there.

I do know that the SF Public Golf Alliance would love to get as many old photos of the course as might be available.

DT

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 12:19:57 AM »
Everything I've read about the original course makes me think the course was something special, but I've never seen a single photo. Has anyone seen photo of the original course?

I agree that it was gratifying to see so many people.  I believe we expected 175 and I'm told that almost 300 turned out.  Aside from spreading the word that the golf course is in danger of being shut down but we raised over $10,000 to fight the well funded enviromentalists.  One person who spoke said we are only on the 2nd hole of this fight which I thought was a good analogy.

You might be able to see some photos at Sharp web site www.sharpparkgc.com

There is also a number of Power Point presentations and lots of old and new photos on the San Francisco Golf Alliance web site.

http://www.sfpublicgolf.com/resources.htm

Tom MacWood

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 09:06:43 AM »
David
There is an aerial from 1943 in Missing Links, that was after a number of Mackenzie's holes were washed away, but no photos. There was another very cool aerial on site Joel gave me that has to be earlier, but there is no date. There is also rendering of the course but I believe that is modern drawing made to appear old. It really looks like a fascinating design. It is kind of strange that there are no photos.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
Tom, the rendering was done by Jay Blasi.  He was at the meeting the other night.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Tom:
Thats a pretty good aeriel of the course.  I wish I knew when the sea wall was built?

The pond in that photo is huge (its much smaller now) and of course is the main factor with the enviromentalists.  Numerous storm surges have filled in the pond and it needs to be dreadged.  Some people have estimated that it has 10 to 20 feet of sedimant at the bottom.  I'm told that the city of San Francisco estimates the dreadging costs at $5 million (San Francisco type money which is 3x the norm).  I'm assuming that every scoop of sedimant will have to be inspected by the city and enviromentalists for a frog and snake.

The course now has numerous trees, it looks much different then the open feel of this photo.

Emmy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »
Joel:

Hope you received the photos safely from the Save Sharp Park fundraising event.

If you have fellow GCAer David T's e-address, please pass the photo/s his way.

I'm so glad the event was such an enormous success!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back