News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Long Island Ratings?
« on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
The topic on Fishers Island has got me thinking.....
I have not yet had the good fortune of spending much time in the lovely area of Long Island, but obvioulsy it is very high on the "wanted" list.

That been said, and with the knowledge that many on this site have had vast experience in the area....what would be the top ten or so courses to play, assuming access would not be a problem.

I assume that NGLA...Shinnecock would be the top two, but with so many other greats in the vicinity...what would be the opinion of those experiemced in the area....
thanks gents..have a wonderful day

mark chalfant

Re: Long Island Ratings? New
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
Garden  City
NGLA
Rockaway Hunt (Emmet/ Tillinghast)
Creek
Friars Head

Westhampton
Huntington
Sebonack
Engineers
Deepdale
North Shore
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:35:33 AM by mark chalfant »

Jeff_Lewis

Re: Long Island Ratings?
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 10:30:42 AM »
I'd say Long Island probably has the best concentration of great courses in the US and stands up to London, Edinburgh and the Sand Belt in the world.

1. Shinny
2. NGLA
3. Friars
3.5 Fishers (I think technically its in Suffolk County)
4. Garden City
5. Maidstone
6. Piping
7. Atlantic
8. Creek
9. Westhampton
10. Deepdale

Good stuff!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
It amazes me that those who have posted can have such mega amnesia and not include the famed Black Course at Bethpage - my God, the place just hosted the US Open !

No doubt the top two placements would have Shinnecock and NGLA -- but after that it becomes rather interesting.

Jeff L is quite correct - the sheer concentration and overall depth of courses on LI is certainly among the best one can play anywhere.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »
my thoughts:

NGLA
Shinnecock
Fishers
Garden City Golf Club
Piping Rock
Bethpage Black
Friars Head
Sebonack
Huntington CC
Creek
Meadowbrook
Deepdale
Bridge
Atlantic
Noyac
Westhampton

and Old Westbury then lunch...RHE

Dan Dingman

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
Of the courses I have seen or played:

NGLA
Shinnecock
Maidstone
Friar's Head
The Creek
Bethpage Black
Westhampton
Garden City GC
Piping Rock
Nassau CC

DD

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »

Rockaway Hunt (Emmet/ Tillinghast)

Huntington (Emmet)

Mark,

On the Emmet trail, are they better than St George's? I have never played your choices but St George's is awfully good.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:19:37 PM »
What's interesting about LI is that you have top tier of layouts -- likely around 7-8 and then you have a roughly equal number of the same amount that constitute the second tier.

On pure architecture alone -- I'd have to say BB doesn't make the top five -- the course has been transformed into a pure steroid-induced muscular course to the max. Finesse play is not the province of the Black and without beating the same record -- the closing hole there now simply sucks.

One other thing -- while many people fawn over Maidstone -- there are a number of inferior holes at the course that often get little inspection since most are glowing about the holes nearest to the ocean.

I also think Sebonack gets tagged by many people as a course where immense difficulty is found. I think the course is rather playable depending upon what tee boxes one plays. As matters stand now -- I'd pick Sebonack over the Black.

Mike S:

St. George's is a fine layout and no less in overall quality, IMHO, to the likes of Rockaway Hunt and Huntington -- in fact, an easy case can be made that it's tad better because of the hole consistency.

Mark_F

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 05:05:27 AM »

Finesse play is not the province of the Black and without beating the same record -- the closing hole there now simply sucks.

I also think Sebonack gets tagged by many people as a course where immense difficulty is found. I think the course is rather playable depending upon what tee boxes one plays. As matters stand now -- I'd pick Sebonack over the Black.

Matt,

So is Sebonack rather playable simply due to the tee boxes one plays, or because it has more finesse play than BB - which I am assuming it does.

Robert Emmons

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 08:46:18 AM »
Matt-

I think Huntington is a better Emmet than St George's due to the original bunkering,routing, and greens, but i am not the most open minded on the subject...RHE

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »

Of all the courses I have played on Long Island I would rank them in this order.

NGLA

Anthony

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:07:23 AM »
Obviously, among those who have commented so far, once agian Engineers is being given the Rodney Dangefield treatment or hopefully, simple ignorance exists.  For those who have played Engineers in the past two years there is no way it should be ranked below any courses except Shinny, NGLA, and Friars Head.  Any other course have a hole like this:

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »
For those who have played Engineers in the past two years there is no way it should be ranked below any courses except Shinny, NGLA, and Friars Head.  Any other course have a hole like this:

I might not have it quite that high, but I am not too far away either. Engineers is quite unique for an inland course.

I hear a complaint from a rater about the 16-18 finish. I did not agree, but .......

mark chalfant

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »
Mike  S,.

Id favor Rockaway Hunt over St. Georges.  I love the back nine at St. Georges. but  the role of the ground game and the WIND at Rockaway are awesome, as are many of its Cape holes, angled approaches  and tiny greens.

RHC 7   STG 3

HCC 6   STG  4

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe my omission.  How did I leave off BPB. Make that 3.25.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 02:13:51 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe my omission.  How did I leave off BPB. Make that 3.25.

Jeff, I think you also left off Sebonac.

tlavin

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 02:23:25 PM »
I'd say Long Island probably has the best concentration of great courses in the US and stands up to London, Edinburgh and the Sand Belt in the world.

1. Shinny
2. NGLA
3. Friars
3.5 Fishers (I think technically its in Suffolk County)
4. Garden City
5. Maidstone
6. Piping
7. Atlantic
8. Creek
9. Westhampton
10. Deepdale

Good stuff!

Throw in Bethpage Black (as you did later on) and you have a list that just makes me ashamed to be so proud of golf in Chicago.  I thought Matt Ward's top Metro 50 (or whatever he called it) was impressive, but this just kills me.

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »
As you know Terry, I am probably the only person who ever played Shoreacres and Olympia in the same day, when I was filling some gaps in my Chicago experience.  Chicago is probably #2 area for US as far as quality of its top 10 after Long Island.  To be fair, we should probably divide LI between the East End and the part that is Metro NY and Metro NY should be a distinct list. In that case, I think it would be Eastern LI, then Metro NY, then Chicagoland. SF, Philly, LA probably next.

mark chalfant

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 02:48:21 PM »
I might give top 5 consideration to Boston per such courses as....

Myopia
Salem
Winchester
Brae Burn
Pine Brook
Boston Golf Club !!
Dedham
Plymouth
The Country Club
Black Rock
Essex County !!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:56:02 PM by mark chalfant »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »
Mark,  I noted that you omitted both Charles River and Eastward Ho! in your list of Boston's best. Any reasons why they aren't included,      thanks,    Jack

mark chalfant

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
Jack,

I haven't played Charles River, but two friends of mine that are avid golfers love CRCC. I now realize that I forgot both Eastward Ho (Fowler) and Old Sandwich (Coore and Crenshaw). Eastward Ho ! is outstanding with several great holes tumbling along a scenic wind blown site. thanks for reminding me

Mark

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Don't forget about the Lido :)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

mark chalfant

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
Robert,

Thanks for reminding us about Engineers.  in addition to the nifty 14th, Engineers has a remarkable collection of par fours that vary in length,challenge and topography. The green complexes here are also very interesting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back