News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

"I think it is the best new course I have ever played"
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:14 AM »
Just one of the comments from John Huggan's article on Castle Stuart:

http://sport.scotsman.com/golf/John-Huggan-Wide-open-spaces.5601250.jp

Melvyn Morrow

Re: "I think it is the best new course I have ever played"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:38:47 AM »
David

Expect you have not read my post #23 last night on the Askernish topic. I copy a link.
http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sos-sports-columnists/John-Huggan-Wide-open-spaces.5601250.jp

Melvyn
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 04:40:43 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:56:55 PM »
Thats a very good article although I think he is incorrect in saying Crenshaw is involved in the 2nd course at Barnboogle?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
Joel -

Didn't you once relate to me that the pro at Stonebrae played Castle Stuart and thought it was one of the very best courses, new or old, that he had ever played?

DT

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »
Joel,

I believe you are right. My understanding is The Lost Farm is a C&C design, but that Crenshaw's involvement is nil.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
Joel -

Didn't you once relate to me that the pro at Stonebrae played Castle Stuart and thought it was one of the very best courses, new or old, that he had ever played?

DT

Yes.  Now he is the ex-pro.  He's going to try the tour.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »

I like the term "educated golfer". Thanks for the link David. Is Cabot Links the next must play for he educated golfer? Can't wait to see Castle Stuart in a couple weeks.

Anthony

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
Anthony:

Surely the educated golfer will be able to find SOMETHING to do in the two years (or longer) it is before Cabot Links is a golf course.

henrye

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:21 AM »
Anthony:

Surely the educated golfer will be able to find SOMETHING to do in the two years (or longer) it is before Cabot Links is a golf course.

Tom, how about some recommendations.  What should we be looking for in the next couple of years?

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »
Powerful comments re: Castle Stewart from a practicing British GCA, as posted today on another thread:

"...Castle Stewart, which I played last Saturday and have to say is the finest modern design I have ever seen.  Possibly the best course in the UK already."     

What more can be said?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 06:28:29 PM »
Powerful comments re: Castle Stewart from a practicing British GCA, as posted today on another thread:

"...Castle Stewart, which I played last Saturday and have to say is the finest modern design I have ever seen.  Possibly the best course in the UK already."     

What more can be said?

It can be said that the second part of that statement is an extraordinary claim, and one that needs to be tested, severely.  Better than TOC, Muirfield, Royal St Georges, Carnoustie, Prestwick and Dornoch?  Possible but a claim to be viewed sceptically, not glibly accepted. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 06:31:33 PM »
I think I know who said it but I need to see the article first.  Where did you read this?  It wasn't me but I am almost positive who did say it.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back