News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Best grouping of courses
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 01:42:06 AM »
Scott Coan: did you touch up the courses to make them stand out? They look like they are glowing! That can't be natural...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 03:49:59 AM »
Scott,

In terms of a "tight" grouping, nothing beats Sebonack, National, Shinnecock and Southampton, which are contiguous/adjacent to one another.
You have never been to St Andrews, then?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 04:12:09 AM »
"What are the (unaccompanied) visitors' fees at these courses?"

OK... one of you spreadsheet whizkids should do a "bang for your buck" comparision on these 5x5 course lineups. It could be a great marketing story for the area that offers the best overall value.

Wentworth - West   285    :o
Wentworth - East   130
Sunningdale (day)   235
Berkshire (day)      120
Foxhills               95
Swinley Forest      65
Woking               55
Worplesdon         60
West Hill            45
New Zealand         55
West Byfleet         35
Camberley Heath      50

That's 1230 pounds, as of a couple years ago (highest rate assumed), so a shade over $2K - about $145 each for 14 courses.

Not that I think these groupings are competing mostly on price!  Though the E. Lothian group would come in substantially less than 100 pounds each.

Jason

If you can walk up and play Swinley for £60 without some sort of connection/deal, then you lead a charmed life. 

The London list(s) look very fine, however, if one were to play say ten of the top dogs in ten days, they may start to blend together as several of the courses don't really distinguish themselves from each other.  Most certainly you will think you have seen VERY similar holes across the area.  In other words, there is a much of a muchness feel to the area.  I think this is why it is important if coming to London for a tour to be careful on which courses one plays or he could come away a little underwhelmed by the end. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Scott Coan

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 06:26:43 AM »
Scott Coan: did you touch up the courses to make them stand out? They look like they are glowing! That can't be natural...

Tis a feature of Google Earth where you can highlight golf courses.  Works mostly for US courses it seems.

Here's the incredible stretch of Sebonac, NGLA, Shinnecock, Southhamptom.  Pretty amazing when you look at it from above - virtually a 72 contigous golf course!

Scott Coan

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 06:49:41 AM »
Scott where is that?

Hint - courses by Fazio, Flynn, Raynor, Ross.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 10:02:50 AM »
Scott,

In terms of a "tight" grouping, nothing beats Sebonack, National, Shinnecock and Southampton, which are contiguous/adjacent to one another.
You have never been to St Andrews, then?

I have, and the courses don't compare to the four I listed.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »
Pat,

An interesting opinion that the Old Course doesn't compare to Sebonac, National, Shinnecock or Southampton.  Not one I can comment on, of course, never having played any of them.  They must all be REALLY good to be that much better than TOC.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 11:12:07 AM »
Scott,

You can also make a pretty good case for the Monterey area too.  Starting right to left you have:

Spanish Bay, MPCC Dunes, MPCC Shore, Spyglass, and CPC....that ain't no slouch lineup right there!!  ;)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 12:32:50 PM »
If you can walk up and play Swinley for £60 without some sort of connection/deal, then you lead a charmed life. 
True, SF is the exception among those I listed   :)  And the number may be slightly out of date, but I think it's close.

The London list(s) look very fine, however, if one were to play say ten of the top dogs in ten days, they may start to blend together as several of the courses don't really distinguish themselves from each other.  Most certainly you will think you have seen VERY similar holes across the area.  In other words, there is a much of a muchness feel to the area.  I think this is why it is important if coming to London for a tour to be careful on which courses one plays or he could come away a little underwhelmed by the end. 

Does that apply just to that particular area, or to the area as a whole?  Is Knole Park the same as Effingham, Beaconsfield, Orsett, Ashridge, Hindhead?  I assume not, but of course I don't know.

Scott C:  There is decent UK coverage of golf courses on GE, but they don't draw the outlines as in the US.

Scott W:  As to the mystery aerial, think Glasgow-esque:  which is worse, the traffic or the winter weather?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »
Pat,

An interesting opinion that the Old Course doesn't compare to Sebonac, National, Shinnecock or Southampton.  Not one I can comment on, of course, never having played any of them.  They must all be REALLY good to be that much better than TOC.

Mark,

You're reading comprehension skills are woefully lacking.

TOC is ONLY ONE golf course.

Please tell me the names of the other three courses that are the equal of NGLA, Shinnecock, Sebonack and Southampton ?

Have you played them and have you played NGLA, Shinnecock, Sebonack and Southampton ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back