News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Most of you have probably seen Mr. Michael Fay's writeup about CC of Farmington on the "In My Opinion" section of the site.  I wanted to share a happy experience and some pictures from the place.

As some may have seen when I posted about the club a couple weeks ago, I played in a qualifier for the CT Amateur there on Monday.  Yet again I choked like a dog, bogeying my last three holes and missing the number by two (77; I shot 79).  So that's obviously not the happiest experience.

The great thing happened a few days before.  Because there was no official practice round at Farmington, I figured I might stop by and ask if I might be able to walk around the course late one afternoon since I'd only played it once many years ago.  I asked head pro Jeremy Vitkauskas if that might be possible and he said yes.  I went home and put on shorts and grabbed my camera and when I returned I was met by longtime head pro and current Director of Golf Mr. John Murphy.  He went and talked to Mr. Vitkauskas briefly, emerged from the Little Red Clock Shop and told me that I could play.  Luckily, my clubs were in the trunk.  Five minutes later I was on the first tee and had a wonderful afternoon walk.  Many, thanks to Mr. Murphy, Mr. Vitkauskas, and the Country Club of Farmington for their hospitality!  Without further ado...

CC of Farmington starts out with a sub-300 yard par 4 where the brash can have a go but need to hit an almost perfect shot.  The more common play is a long iron or short fairway wood to a plateau in the fairway, followed by a wedge to a small green guarded by bunkers on the left (one fairly deep and one REALLY deep) and OB to the right.

Players who make a 3 at the first will very often give the shot right back at the 2nd, a 190 yard uphill par three to a three-tiered green.  The hole is known by some as "the shortest par 5 in CT."

The third hole is the first of three par fives on the front, and a potentially reachable one at that.  However, the heroic fairway wood shot is a blind one over the corner of a small ravine and around some trees, so a layup and a wedge may be the prudent play.  Bunkers left and long are the no-no places to miss.

Number four is the second of the front nine's three par 3s, and a shorty at that.  It's a 150 yard, slightly uphill affair to a two level green with the high side to the left.  A pin cut on that upper level is really tough to get to, as it seems to just hover over the middle of the copse of bunkers short of the green (that's where it was during the qualifier).

The fifth hole is a two-shotter that plays at 390 from the tips and about 340 from the members tees.  As you can see, the green sits well above the fairway, with death to the left.  You can hit driver if you feel the need to hit a wedge to the green, but the flatter lies in the fairway are a little further back.

Even though the par 5 6th hole greets the player with an inviting fairway, the right half is the place to be.  Naturally, a stream guards that side of the fairway.  It's another reachable one, but the small green is guarded by deep bunkers and is probably best attacked with a lofted implement.

With five of the first six holes at Farmington being legitimate birdie opportunities, the 450 yard two-shot 7th jolts the player out of any false thoughts that the game is anything but maddeningly difficult.  There's relatively little artifice out there, as the hole sits on the ground and lays out the task very clearly.  Two bunkers about 50 yards short of the green are waiting to catch an unmindful hack from the rough.

CCF does not let up with the long par 3 8th hole.  Again, there isn't too much in the way of artificial mounding to clutter the look.  A bunker short left and another one right guard the pitched green.

The closing hole on the (non-returning) front nine is its third par five, offering another birdie opportunity.  A fairway bunker pokes into the fairway from the left and should be challenged by the player who has designs on an eagle putt.  Those who lay up must consider a bunker about 120 yards from the green on the right.  Stay short of it or hit a fairway wood to carry it and leave a pitch shot?  For your sanity, don't hit it over the green.

I'm off to dinner; back nine later this evening.

Cheers.

--Tim
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:33:09 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Gavrich

And now, the back nine...

Number 10 is the lone par five on the inward nine, and the second in a row.  The tree-lined Farmington River, marked as OB, guards the right side of the hole.  It is probably the most straightforward hole on the course and is definitely the best birdie chance on the second nine.  The green is one of the largest and most undulating on the golf course.

The 11th is a tricky par 4 of about 370 yards.  Once again, the Farmington River is to the right.  A fairway wood or long iron is all that is needed off the tee given the importance of finding the fairway.  Miss the fairway to either side and trees will impede progress to the narrow green, which falls off steeply on both sides.

He who has not read the scorecard might think he has already played the Country Club's shortest hole in the 150-yard 4th, but it is not so.  The charming 12th is just a 120-yard pitch over deep bunkers to a shallow green.  Don't go long; it drops off towards a pond that is marked OB.

Number 13 is a mid-length (408 from the tips) par four that kicks off a stretch of five in a row.  It swings right around a cluster of many bunkers to one of the most steeply pitched greens on the course (the false front'll getcha as well).

The 14th is a funky one, but not in a bad way.  It's slightly longer than the preceding hole and veers left.  The green sits behind a series of large hills and is obscured from anywhere left of the right half of the fairway.  That green is quite small, but in a bit of a bowl so it plays a bit bigger.  With a good drive, it can be a birdie hole.

I regret forgetting to get a picture from the 15th tee, where the landing area cannot be seen from the tee.  I saw a flag straight ahead in the distance and thought it was the 15th, but it was in fact the 2nd green, which was a nifty trick, I thought.  The ideal tee shot should almost hug the trees down the left side.  A fairway wood will leave a shot from a plateau in the fairway, but a well-hit driver will see the ball travel a further 30 or 40 yards to the bottom of the hill, leaving an uphill approach to a two-tiered green.

16 is the longest two-shotter on the back side at 438 from the tips.  The aggressive play off the tee is over the left half of the bunker inside the dogleg (right) and leaves a mid-iron to a tiny, steep green.  Once again, left is death.

The penultimate hole is the course's final par four, and the only one with a hazard of any substance in play.  Again I forgot to get a picture from the tee box, but you get the gist.  The pond to the right will catch a misplaced drive.  Hit a fairway wood or long iron short of it or smash a driver out to the left, where there is more room than there appears to be.  Such aggression, if exercised properly, will leave a short-iron to a two-tiered green perched above a deep bunker.

The finishing hole is a wonderful, downhill long par 3 to an elusive green.  Bunkers sit to the right, while a chipping area lies to the left.  It's a great match play hole and a solid half-par hole with the beautiful white clubhouse in the background.

The Country Club of Farmington is a wonderfully charming and tough old-style course.  If you fail to take advantage of its easier holes, you will be punished.  On Monday I played the first 10 holes in +2, with both bogeys being three-putts on par fives.  That helped me to my demise in the qualifier.

Once again, I owe many thanks to Mr. Vitkauskas and Mr. Murphy for allowing me to play the course in advance of the qualifier.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Carl Nichols

Thanks for the pics, Tim.  It looks like a bunch of trees were removed sometime in the last 20 years (I last played the course in the late 80's) -- is that correct?

ChipOat

Now, those are REALLY small greens!

Are both the pond and the river OB because they're not on club property?  If not, I protest their designation.

Robert Emmons

I thought they were working on a restoration along with tree removal about 4-5 years ago. They visited Huntington to see what we had done during the now defunct Emmet Cup...RHE

mark chalfant

Tim,

Thank you for the group of nice photos and  the informative descriptions of this old course.  Im curious, if you were given ten rounds  among  CC of  Farmington,  Wampanoag, and  Hartford  Golf Club,  how would you split your time.  Also, of these three layouts which course has the most  engaging set of par  fives  and par fours. ?  thanks again for the thoughtful  essay.

Mark

Tim Gavrich

Mark--

I believe I would go 4-3-3 for CCF-WCC-HGC.  Most people would give the most rounds to Hartford, I suspect, but I just find Farmington really, really charming.  Hartford and Wampanoag are very good, but I'd call Farmington "great," perhaps.

It's been a few years since I played Wamp, but my recollection says that Hartford's and Farmington's par 5s and 4s are slightly better.  Among those two, I'd give the edge in par 4s to Farmington, with the beguiling 290 yard 1st and the brawny 450 yard 7th.  That's not to say that HGC is really lacking.  Holes 1 and 2 at HGC are my favorite par 4s there: a 440 yarder followed by a 340 yarder.

The edge on par 5s goes to Hartford, IMO.  Coincidentally, both Hartford and Farmington have consecutive par 5s at 9 and 10.  I like the 3rd, 6th, and 9th at Farmington a lot--the 10th is good, but with a green that is a bit out of character with the other 17.  Hartford has two very good par fives at 9 and 10, with two great ones at 4 and 16, again IMO.

Cheers.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back