News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Is the putter cover a statement of what golf has become?
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »
Shiv,

You know that I can at least see your side of the arguments as they are fairly well constructed.

However, when it comes to classifying pussy behavoir on the course, using a long putter has got to be near the top of the list.  A real man learns how to overcome his demons and putt "normally".  None of this long putter, sticking it in your belly button nonsense ;)

Its like fixing a flat tire on your car, only a pussy will call AAA... real men get thier hands dirty and do it themselves!  ;D

Dan Kelly

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Real men don't allow vanity to dictate how they get the ball in the hole...

How is the aversion to putter covers anything BUT vanity?

Admittedly late to the discussion, as usual, but with my putter unsheathed (and standard-issue), I remain...

Perhaps vainly,
Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Dan Kelly

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 04:06:13 PM »
It's not vanity. It's the exact opposite.  It's like when you have to punish your kid and you tell them "this hurts me more than it'll hurt you."  Until the first time you spank your kid, you simply can't believe that to be a true statement.  But anybody who has ever had to spank their kid (esp. their daughter) knows it's as true as true can be.

Selflessness has always been its own reward...

Either I'm not smart enough to understand this -- or no one is!

As far as I'm concerned, anti-vanity is just another form of vanity.

As for: "...anybody who has ever had to spank their kid (esp. their daughter) knows it's as true as true can be." It might be true, but I'd argue that it's never necessary.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 04:11:57 PM »
Jim why not the moon?

Sure, why not, just as long as they name the first course "Alice". ;)

There is a certain level of frustration when surveying the state of affairs in the world of golf, but putter covers and $300.00 putters are way down the list (by the way, if you know anyone who wants to buy a Cameron at retail give them my address, please  :) ).

No one who was ever presented with a huge budget and a huge fee to build a golf course passed it up, unless the build or the client was deemed unrealistic.
No one balked at the price the Japanese paid for Pebble Beach.
No one balked when Fazio spent 30+million in Las Vegas. That almost sounds like peanuts today.
No one balked at 25k greensmowers or 50k fairway units or 2,000 sprinkler heads (I'm stopping there as I don't want to spend the next hour typing)

The poster boy for excess is not someone with a headcover on his putter.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

C. Squier

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Jim why not the moon?

Sure, why not, just as long as they name the first course "Alice". ;)

There is a certain level of frustration when surveying the state of affairs in the world of golf, but putter covers and $300.00 putters are way down the list (by the way, if you know anyone who wants to buy a Cameron at retail give them my address, please  :) ).

No one who was ever presented with a huge budget and a huge fee to build a golf course passed it up, unless the build or the client was deemed unrealistic.
No one balked at the price the Japanese paid for Pebble Beach.
No one balked when Fazio spent 30+million in Las Vegas. That almost sounds like peanuts today.
No one balked at 25k greensmowers or 50k fairway units or 2,000 sprinkler heads (I'm stopping there as I don't want to spend the next hour typing)

The poster boy for excess is not someone with a headcover on his putter.

Kinda funny how the thread was started by an architect whose feature course is in a luxury gated community in Costa Rica?  By all means, stop buying putter covers so we may divert more funds to build the badly needed luxury resort courses  ::)

Somehow I'm not buying into the argument that if you don't look like the lonely kid who made a hole in one at dusk in the old USGA commercial, you're somehow not a "pure" golfer.  If you want to show up in the same shoes you mowed the lawn in with a bag of mismatched/coverless clubs, knock yourself out.  Bet it makes you feel like quite the hustler. 

PThomas

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
I was going to buy a Garfield putter cover but it didnt fit my 2 ball putter
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jason Walker

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
The fact this thread went three pages and isn't on GolfWRX is more of statement of what golf has become far more than the putter cover.

I confess, I have an old Scotty Cameron Laguna....I say old as it's 2002 vintage and  been redone twice now.  I have a cover for the club but it still managed to get a big nick on the top side...about 3 mm from the aiming line....so it will be sent in over the winter.  Not sure how it happened but it did.  I'd blame a caddy but Kris Shreiner would burn my house down.  :)   Either way, putters get beat up and I have absolutely zero issues with the cover.  Those who collect them?  Different story.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back