News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

The Golf Club at Boulder Ridge
« on: May 13, 2002, 06:01:17 PM »
Just curious if anyone has played at The Golf Club at Boulder Ridge in San Jose?

I am going to be playing there next month and was just wondering what to expect.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Rich Goodale (Guest)

Re: The Golf Club at Boulder Ridge
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2002, 06:15:04 PM »
Evan

A GCA 5-some played there in December (as we were the only people on the course this didn't seem to bother the pro).

It's one of those "how the hell do you fit a golf course onto a piece of property like that" type places, but pretty well done for all that.  The course plays fairly short, and the terrain seems to require a few too many conyon-type holes that funnel your ball towards one position, no matter how you hit it.  You won't wear out your long irons there.  One or two goofy holes (unfortunately including 18 which is a par-5 with a tree at about 350 that only a Papazianic hook can circumvent if you want to go for the green in 2).  Some interesting holes up the the boulder fields whihc are pretty and challenging, including two good long par-3s.  The greens are one of the highlights of the course, with interesting and subtle ridges and rolls which you can see from your approach shot but make 2-putts challenging if you don't hit the ball where it is clear it should go.  Bunkering is OK, although there are 5-7 completely circular and flat little things--kinda like pot bunkers that have been filled in by a child with a bucket and spade--that are either moronic or some possible stroke of genius that I haven't yet discovered.  Great views over the rat race of Silicon Valley.

Let us know what you think.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2002, 06:31:03 PM »
I played it a few weeks ago and its a 5 maybe 5 1/2.  The second hole is one of the prettiest holes I have seen in a long time from the back tees.  The par 3s are generally very good, the par 5's especially bad and the par's 4 OK.  The whole notion of Boulders only come into play on about 6 holes with the rest of the course winding around a mountain top, fairly void of most vegatation.  Its almost impossible to walk.  For the money $150+ I would drive down to Pasatiempo

THuckaby2

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 07:23:35 AM »
Evan:  are you paying the $175 they offer for limited public weekday play?  Just curious how much attention that is getting...

I drive by the course 6 out of every 7 days of my life, haven't played it, refuse to pay that price.  I'll find a way some day to get on....

It's got to be less played than Cypress, in any case.  I NEVER see anyone playing in the afternoon when I go by...

I did look at a lot of it awhile back and Rich and Joel seem to have it covered - I have no different opinions just from what I saw.

TH

redanman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 07:39:57 AM »
Gentlemen

Where in SJ is the course located?  What are the particulars? (Archie, length, slope, rating, topo, character, etc)

Just curious, as I know the area generally having lived nearby and the thought of $175 to play in SJ nauseates me.

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 07:46:00 AM »
redanman:  it's off Almaden Expressway, on a the ridge above Almaden Valley on the other side from where Almaden CC is. (that's a lot of "Almadens...)

All particulars are at:

http://www.boulderridgegolf.com/

And you think YOU are nauseated?  I live about 3 miles from this course.  I watched it built... watched the owner hoodwink the city and county into allowing his private club... now see this price and it truly does makes me ill.  

But more power to him - in a strange way I sorta admire his "achievement"... It just bums me out how golf is where I live.  Oh well.

TH

redanman

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2002, 07:57:06 AM »

All particulars are at:

http://www.boulderridgegolf.com/

I particularily like the "Request to play Boulder Ridge" feature!

$175/$250,  $150k, whoopee.  I honestly feel sorry for you guys out there.

Couldn't find the archie, looks like Weiskopf and Arizona to me. :D

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2002, 07:59:57 AM »
It does look a LOT like Arizona.  In that respect it's pretty interesting... this ridge with huge boulders right there in San Jose.

The archie is Brad Benz.

And you wanna really feel sorry for us?  Look at real estate prices...

Don't get me started.

TH

JakaB

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2002, 08:02:22 AM »
The lack of an architect is unusual...lots of talk on Roger Maltbie and the great shots he hit.  I found the hole by hole descriptions to be acutely lame with the mention of how the owner...a woman (can be a state of flux in So. Cal) saved the 300 yr old tree on the 18th.

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2002, 08:06:06 AM »
JakaB: this course was on the cover of our golf association's most recent quarterly magazine, with a story quite similar to what you find in the web site.  Oh yes, Mr. and Mrs. Garcia are quite proud of the trees they saved.  Seems they are also indeed trying to drum up some business, as recent membership figures I heard had them in the low two digits.  Selling high-priced golf in down economic times... hmmmm.....
TH

Evan_Green

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2002, 10:09:46 PM »
Tom-

Yes I am paying the $175 public access fee for the weekday. While I don't think they are taking out ads for it, I found the offer on their website.

I think for the experience its worth the money- its pretty cool that its so infrequently played- it would be a neat kind of course to be a member of- and in the Sil. Valley $150K for a membership at a golf course is peanuts ;)

I let you know what I think of the course after I play it

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2002, 07:25:20 AM »
Evan:

Have fun!  We all have different ways we look at golf courses, and different financial thresholds, so good for you you're taking them up on their offer.  One thing's for sure - you won't have any crowd problems!

Please do report - I am very interested in the take of the few and proud who actually do play this course.

I'll get there myself soon enough - I'm just gonna exhaust every connection possible before I pay that fee.

BTW, on the one hand you're right:  the membership fee at BR is peanuts compared to others within 30 miles, which to me is VERY sad.  But on the other hand, a full-service club with a damn fine traditional course lies 2 miles away across the valley - Almaden CC - and a full family membership can be had there these days for around half of BR's full family price.  Ever been to Almaden?  Is BR twice as good?  I can't see that at all... I've played Almaden many times...

Seems to me that's why BR's membership total is at less than 30, and Rocke Garcia is now buying space in the NCGA magazine and opening up limited public play... I'm betting this course goes "semi-private" within 3 years.  We'll see what happens...

TH

cardyin4

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2002, 08:34:51 AM »
The course has some real downsides.  First, there is a hidden lake down the hill to the left on the par 5 first hole.  The green is off to the right behind the boulders, so a safe layup should be short left.  You will never find your ball.   The second hole is an absolutely gorgeous par 3 set in the boulders, but there is are power lines behind the green.  The power lines cross on the tee shot on No. 4.  (My son hit a power line twice on his tee shot and both balls fell straight down into the lake.  Power lines also cross the 4th fairway
and are frequently in sight.   Because several holes wrap around the top of the hillside, most dogleg left with a sharp dropoff left   (very similar to the mountaintop Ledges C.C. in Huntsville, Alabama).   The 10th hole is a dogleg left, about 375 yards and severely downhill.  I drove it within ten yards of the green, and my swing speed these days is about 28 mph.
That said, the few holes which are in the boulders perhaps are worth the trip.  I concur that the18th is awkward on the second shot, but a nice draw will get the ball near the green for a short pitch shot.  All in all, about a 4 on a scale of 10.

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2002, 08:41:46 AM »

All in all, about a 4 on a scale of 10.

That seems to be just about the consensus.  And for that they want $175... interesting....

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back