News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

Re: Question for the Group about International Golf trips
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2014, 12:05:26 AM »
Mac Plumart will state
That his golfing fate
At some future date
Is up for debate.

Its never the rate
Or unopen gate
Invitations create
Venues in spate.

He's not an ingrate
But cannot placate
The odd Aussie mate
That Downunder doth wait.

Where the bloody hell are you!?

Cheers with poetic licence,
Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:07 AM »
I love Australia and NZ but there can be serious jet lag and very long distances between cities, they are not destinations to race around.
Cave Nil Vino

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2014, 09:34:16 AM »
I love Australia and NZ but there can be serious jet lag and very long distances between cities, they are not destinations to race around.

I would second this statement.  If you're going to travel all the way to that area of the world, either pick Australia or New Zealand, don't try to do both countries in the same trip.  I spent 2 weeks in New Zealand a couple of years ago and had a great time (no golf, just exploring) and could have taken another 2 weeks to see other parts of the country.  Flights between the 2 countries are 3-4 hours, it's not a short trip.

Jud_T

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »
I went to Australia for my honeymoon.  We went for 2 1/2 weeks.  I can't really imagine going for less than two weeks.  Hell it takes a week just to get over the jet lag.  New Zealand is probably an entirely different trip unless you've got a month on your hands.  Can you go for a week and bang out the big names?  Sure.  Would I want to?  Hell no.  If the window is a week, I'd focus exclusively on GB&I.   
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »
From ATL you can be in either MAN or LHR via direct flight in under eight hours. Leave at 9pm EST and get off the plane at 9am BST with an entire day of golf anywhere you choose to play. Many of the best inland courses are within an hour or so of Heathrow. In terms of logistics for a trip of a week or less England is a no-brainer, especially from Atlanta.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 10:41:51 AM »
Mac, wait till you're between jobs, projects or retired and then come down here. I wouldn't be surprised if you'll then keep coming regularly during your winter.
Dream world aside, if you've got one week then go to London / South East England. Or back to Askernish....
@Pure_Golf

Brent Hutto

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
The particular direct flight is no longer available but my easiest trip ever was flying direct from CLT to LGW then immediately getting on the train (at the station in the Gatwick terminal) and heading to the southeast coast. The town of Deal specifically. After a few days of golf I hitched a ride with Tony_M back to London, short train ride back to Gatwick and stayed overnight in the Yotel in the basement of that same Gatwick terminal.

Wow, that was the quickest and most trouble-free five days of excellent links golf that I'll ever experience. A day at Princes, a day at Sandwich and three days at Royal Cinque Ports all without needing a rental car. That was a good week.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back