News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Who Beat Tiger Woods in the 1993 US Am at Champions?
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
There were a few of us sitting around the other day when someone asked who Tiger Woods had lost to in the US Junior and US Amateur. Here is what we came up with:

1990 US Junior at Lake Merced: Dennis Hillman of Rye, NY defeated Woods 1up in the semifinals.

1992 US Amateur at Muirfield Village: Woods lost to Tim Herron. Not sure what round or what the score was but I believe Lumpy beat him up pretty good, maybe 5&4?

1993 US Amateur at Champions GC: ??

Pretty incredible to think Woods played in 4 US Juniors and only lost one match and he played in six US Ams and only lost two matches (he didn't qualify for match play in 1991 at The Honors Course).

Any help with who beat the Great One in Houston in 1993 would be appreciated.

Thanks
-John

Michael Moore

Re: Who Beat Tiger Woods in the 1993 US Am at Champions?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Paul Page.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Colin Sheehan

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:27:47 PM »
You're right that Tiger missed the cut in his first Am in 1991 at Honors. He was just 15 that year.

At Muirfield Village in 1992, he qualified for match play with 78, 66. He lost 6 and 4 to Tim Herron in the second round. At Champions, Tiger again lost in the second round to Paul Page of England. At 17, that would be the last time he would lose in the championship. Incredible to think he would go 18-0 to finish his Am Championship career.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
I first saw Tiger play in the US Juniors semi-final that he lost at Lake Merced  in 1990. He was just a skinny kid. ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »

I first saw Tiger play in the US Juniors semi-final that he lost at Lake Merced  in 1990. He was just a skinny kid. ;)

He was as skinny as the one-iron he was hitting back then .... but then again, Barry Bonds was skinny too in 1990 ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Tiger was still realllly skinny when he turned pro. I watched (in person) his first round as a pro, at the old GMO in Milwaukee at Brown Deer Park in 1996, and made a point to stand between the green and tee to watch him walk buy. I was astounded at how skinny he was.

TX Golf

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
One of the things I am most surprised with every time I see Tiger in person is how SKINNY he still is!!!

6-1 and 180 isn't exactly big!! Granted he might have about 3% body fat but he is by no means a big guy.

He looks way bigger on TV than he actually is.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:07 PM »
Robert Warren -

Going slightly off topic, I remember being very surprised on that fateful day in the final round of the Masters (the year Norman collapsed and Faldo shot 67 to win) at how much smaller Norman was compared to Faldo.

Norman had quite a physical presence back then, but he is only 6' or so tall. He seemed to shrink (in more ways than one) that day next to Faldo, who is around 6'4". On the other hand, Faldo had such a smooth golf swing and demeanor that you would never guess he was that tall. He never looked like a "big man" playing golf.

DT 

Sam Maryland

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »
I caddied at that '93 US Am for a buddy and the crowds Tiger was drawing even then were enormous.  A lot of great players were there - Justin Leonard was defending champ, Notah Begay was putting from both sides with the hoop earrings in both ears, Brian Gay played, pretty sure Lumpy had a good tourney too.

The one thing I remember was how pissed off the college players were at all the attention Tiger was getting.  Never forget a couple of them saying "just wait until he starts playing college golf, we'll show him..."   

Yeah, right! 

TX Golf

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:04:34 PM »
David,

I completely agree.... The Masters was the first time I had ever seen Faldo and he is a HUGE dude. It is just always interesting to see these guys in person because you realize that they are just normal guys that can play golf extremely well. It always gives me hope taht maybe some day I can do the same!!!

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »
If you go to a tournament, the players look huge from a distance.  Because everything about them is so familiar, your eyes just gravitate to them.  But when you get up next to them they are tiny.  (DISCLAIMER:  I am 6'6, 220 lbs.  That's 2 meters, 100 kgs).

It's also very weird to see players going through regular motions.  Even though we know they are real people, because 99% of what we see a pro golfer doing is playing golf or giving interviews, it makes it very difficult to picture them doing regular things.  I was at an event and saw Couples and Els eating sandwiches.  It looked really bizarre.  At some level I've just become acclimated to the idea that pro golfers are really midget robots who live in my television and play golf at certain times of day.

I've only seen Tiger play once in person, at the 1995 NCAA Championships at the Scarlet course at OSU.  He hit a lot of great shots, but also some really wild ones.  On #2 he hit a more violent duck hook than anything I've ever hit myself.  He's not hitting too many of those anymore.

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »

He was as skinny as the one-iron he was hitting back then .... but then again, Barry Bonds was skinny too in 1990 ...

Mike, are you hinting that Eldrick Woods paid a visit to Victor Conte at Balco back in his day at Stanford?  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back