News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Britain from the air 6
« on: March 04, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »
Suitably encouraged by Rich Goodale I found that more of Scotland has been updated to High Res since last I looked, so here are a few Scottish courses, starting naturally at:

Aberdour. I don’t know it, but I expect Mr Goodale can provide expert commentary. And I hope he’ll comment about the other courses, too, for they are his locals.
As I put most of the St Andrews courses into the first of this series I need not repeat them here.

One of two adjacent courses, Lundin (and a corner of Leven)

Lundin’s neighbour, Leven, and probably a bit of Scoonie, too.

Elie, or Golf House Club plus a few extra holes.

You need a big aerial to get all of Crail in these days.

This little charmer is Anstruther. Today’s Golfer magazine voted the 5th hole as the hardest par 3 in the UK.

Two early members of Dunfermline Golf Club were Robert Lockhart and John Reid whose names probably mean something to our friends across the sea. This is not their original home. This course was built by JR Stutt, who seems to have been quite busy in Fife.

You might wonder what Auchterderran is doing in this august company, but it was given a shot of publicity by Mr Goodale himself when he mentioned it in the new World Atlas of Golf.

Kingsbarns.

Scotscraig, rather a good James Braid course at Tayport on the opposite side of the estuary from Dundee.

The lovely Ladybank. A nice way to end. Commentary, please, Rich.

Bill_McBride

Re: Britain from the air 6
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:34:48 PM »

Elie, or Golf House Club plus a few extra holes.

Funny that there is a course next door to Elie (Golf House Club), you certainly couldn't see it from the first fairway.

Of course I spent a little time in that fairway bunker down the right side of #1 so wasn't paying attention to much else!  ::)

What course is that, Mark?

By the way, thanks for this recent group of British and now Scottish aerials, it's been very interesting.  Beau Desert looks particularly good, perhaps you could post Delamere Forest for us Fowler fans.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 06:46:41 PM »
I played a couple of these courses while at Dundee University 10 years ago!

Did you know there was once 18 holes - (9 holes in both directions) linking Lundin and Leven and then it was split in half to create 2 x 18 hole courses for each town, the 'newer' holes were built on the other side of the old railway. I was told every year there is a tournament using the original 18. Also Alister McLean - Monty's ex caddie (now with Westwood) at the time was an member at Leven playing off 2 played against my mate.

Elie is one of my favourites - I had 5/6 birdies in one round thanks to the short par 4's!!

Ladybank is a great inland course it was used as a final qualifying course for the 2000 Open.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:01:47 AM »
The 9 holes next to Elie are the Elie Sports Club course.  It's used predominantly by children, though adults play as well.  I've enjoyed many rounds with one or more of my offspring.  I don't know what was happening when you played the 1st at Elie Bill, but the 1st fairway of the Sports Club is just on the other side of the very low stone wall on the right of the fairway!
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »
A friend of mine, whose wife came from Earlsferry, told me that residents of Earlsferry could play for free over that portion of the course actually in Earlsferry, that is the 4th to the 17th!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »
The 9 holes next to Elie are the Elie Sports Club course.  It's used predominantly by children, though adults play as well.  I've enjoyed many rounds with one or more of my offspring.  I don't know what was happening when you played the 1st at Elie Bill, but the 1st fairway of the Sports Club is just on the other side of the very low stone wall on the right of the fairway!

It took me a couple to get out of the right side fairway bunker and a few more to get in the hole, so I had my head down most of the way down the fairway!

And that's the last time those holes would have been in view.

I absolutely loved that routing at Elie, in town, down to the beach, back to the town, home to the clubhouse and the periscope again.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »
Many thanks for these, Mark.

Following are some of my thoughts on these tracks.  I'll be happy to elaborate on any of them to the extent of my experience and or answer questions, if anybody is interested.

Aberour--my home club.  I live about a gap-wedge northwest of the upper right hand corner of the aerial, but its mostly downhill.  As can be seen the course is along the water (Firth of Forth) Edinburgh is 5 miles due south as the crow flies, and the views across the water can be spectacular on a clear day.  It's a miniature Sausalito-San Francisco sort of relationship.  Even though on the water the course is more raised beach/parkland than links.  It is short and sporty (5500 yards/par 67) and used to be even shorter and sportier before the land at the western 1/3 of the aerial was acuqired.  The mini-me course (I never played it) is felt by those who did to have been a better one, even it measured well under 5,000 yards and played to a par of 63.  From that wee course came a raft of great golfers including a touring pro, a British Boys champion, a Curtis Cup player and numerous other men and women of local and national standing.  It was a poster child for the axiom that you do not need a "championship" course to produce champion golfers.  The course starts at the bottom right of the aerial with two 170 yards par-3s across the water, and wends it's way around the shore to the 465-yard par 4 brute of the 8th.  It then returns inland, finishing up with 7 holes within 500 yards of the clubhouse, a marvelous piece of routing, even though no one knows (yet!) who designed the course.  I hope to solve that mystery this spring....

Lundin, Leven and Scoonie

I know Lundin very well, Leven only by reputation, and Scoonie moderately, but with affection.  As said above, Lundin and Leven used to be one course, going out inland from Leven and then turning back along the shore from what is now Lundin, the course being bordered on the inland side by what was the railway from Kirkcaldy to Crail.  That abandoned railway line now constitutes a controversial incourse out of bounds at Lundin, although it is in play at Leven.  Lundin is the posher place, but Leven has the stronger golfing history, as it is the site every year of two of the most prestigious championships in Britain, the Champion of Champions and the Standard Life Gold Medal.  GCAers will remember Lundin fondly from last year's BUDA Cup.  It is a fine links course, good enough to have been a final qualifying venue for the Open Championship when played in St. Andrews.  As for Scoonie, it sits at the upper left hand corner of the aerial, and it's 18th nearly borders Leven at that corner.  It is a workingman's public course which is under threat due to government cutbacks, but is honest and fun and deserves to be played and to be saved.

Elie

Another venue from last year's BUDA, and a course of comparable quality and difficulty to Leven.  With 16 4's and 2 3's one of the simplest routings--scoring wise--on the planet.  Open to the wind, and with a number of hidden greens and blind tee shots, it is full of charm and challenge.  James Braid and Douglas Rolland and Archie Simpson grew up playing a version of this course.  Enough said.

....to be continued.....

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 03:58:43 PM »
Auchterderran in the WAOG!?!?!?!

Goodale, you are a maniac. ;D

Nancy's dad has been, over the years, President, Secretary, Treasurer, Captain (I think), Barman, General Dogsbody and Chief Chucker-Ooter at the wee beauty.

I, to my eternal shame, have never played it, despite many's an opportunity for free rounds via him and via my old job in Council Parks Dept.

I have visited it and taken some pics which I once posted here. It is a pretty wild piece of landscape given where it is. I do worry about the colour of that pond though... :o

Maybe a GCA special outing sometime....?

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
...after having been rudely interrupted by having to take my daugher to Tae Kwan Do.....

Crail

I've played Balcomie a few times and Craighead once, and the aerial surprisies me in terms of how sinuous is the routing of the older course.  It doesn't feel that way to me--more compact than it looks.  Also, as 2-D pictures, the aerials can't express the changes in elevation, which are sometimes very significant at Balcomie (and all the other courses in Mark's portfolio).  I'm still waiting to see the charm in Craighead, and the overhead doesn't really help me in this regard.  I might play the course a couple of times this year, and we will see.  That being said, this is a great 36-hole club, and very much worth the visit.

Anstruther

The third horseman of that Apocalypse that was BUDA VII.  You can see that 5th hole at the middle bottom left of the aerial, but it is impossible to convey what the hole is like from that angle.  Effectively it is 230 yard semi-blind shot that must be cut into the sharp right-left slope to have any hope of finding the green.  In our 3-some of last June, two of us hit almost perfect shots that were just a tad not cutty enough and ended up sleeping with the fishes.  Our third, who hit what looked like the perfect shot over cut it into cabbage to the right back of the green.  It was MIA.  Incredibly, the next two holes are also par-3's and as wild and goofy as the 5th.  Add in the cosy "Local Hero" sort of clubhouse and the nearby incomparable Anstruther Fish and Chip Bar, and you have golf geek Nirvana.

Dunfermline (Pittfirrane)

There used to be an Indian restaurant in Dunfermline which billed itself as "Possibly one of the finest Curry Houses in West Fife!" Pittfirrane is definitely the finest golf course in West Fife.  Parkland with many changes in elevation, and as Mark implied, in what is now it's 5th or 6th location since the late 19th century.  Excellent variety and good conditioning.  In the current economic climate, the only club in the area which still has a waiting list.  The bar used to have a painted line beyond which women could not cross.  Och aye, those were the days.......

Auchterderran

I put it in the New World Atlas of Golf partly because I love saying or even thinking its name, but more becuase I was trying to express how the beauty of golf courses can transcend their pedigrees or even their situations.  Auchterderran is a 9-holer in the middle of a former mining community (note the colourful waste pit to the south of the aerial)  with a declining membership base and threats such as at Scoonie to its existence.  Nevertheless, when on the course, particularly in low light, it has the magic that all courses have, when it is just you and your fellow competitors and your balls walking over turf intended for its purpose.  In Mark's aerial, note the orange gorse that surround the western holes.  If you have enough imagination, you could be in Surrey....

Kingsbarns

We all know about this place.  Note the adjacent farmers' fields and try to imagine that the whole course was pretty much like this when Parsinen and Dunkley started to pursue their dream.  Also note the land to the far west which was purchased late in the game and which gave us the world-class 15th hole.  If they hadn't been able to purchase that land the course would probably have still been great, but would it have been as memorable?

Scotscraig

Another one I haven't yet played but wish to.  Knowledgable local players give it praise, but not fullheartedly.

Ladybank

One of the closest things you will get to heathland golf in Scotland.  Fine sandy soil, mature trees which give the Pine Valleyish feeling of "splendid isolation," firm and true greens.  Not a long course, and therefore not unexpected that it has lost its place in the Open qualifying rota.  Not as narrow as you think, either, and forays into the trees and the scrub can usually be attrributed to either poor technique or a lack of conviction.  I doubt if there are 20 clearly better courses in Scotland than Ladybank, and that is high praise, at least from me.

Enough for now.  Any comments or other points of view would be very much appreciated.

Rich

PS--Mark, could you add an aerial of Mackenzie's Pitreavie?

rfg

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 05:14:43 AM »
Here you are, Pitreavie

Rich Goodale

Re: Britain from the air 6 New
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 05:43:22 AM »
Thanks, Mark

We've discussed this course a bit before, but it's nice to see what it looks like above ground.

The clubhouse is on the far left, and the 1st hole top left.  At 480 with the second shot uphill over a burn, it has to be one of the hardest opening holes in golf.  It also features a FBG (Fat Baldy Green) re-designed/restored by oor own Marty Bonnar.

The middle of the course has a lot of elevation changes, so Mackenzie did an excellent job of fitting in those holes as best he could.  In fact, there are very few even flattish holes--I think that the flatter property to the south was given over to the playing fields seen to the South.  ther are a lot of really good greens on the course, many of them 2 or 3 tiered.  The 12th hole (just north of the top of the playing fields, heading south over the burn), is one of the holes thought to have been an inspiration for #12 at Augusta.

Overall, Pitreavie is a typical West Fife course, shortish (~6,000 yards) but compact and integrated into the community.  When it is well maintained (not always, alas) it can be a very interesting and challenging course.  Definitely worth playing for a Mackenzophile who wants to expand his or her understanding of what the Doctor was up to just before he flitted to America.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:00:23 AM by Rich Goodale »

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
Rich, has the green moved on the 13th at Lundin Links?  Looking at the picture it looks as if it has been moved further to the right making it an acute dog's leg. My recollection is that the green used to be to the left of those two clumps of trees, and between them, not above the top clump as it now is. I had a very happy moment on that hole a few years ago playing with Ian, hence my interest!

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
Good to hear from you Phillip, and good to see that you remember your albatross at Lundin Links.  For a big hitter like you these must be a dime a dozen, or do we say a trillion dollars a dozen, these days.....

That green to the right on 13 was an experiment 20+ years ago.  I've never seen it in play in the years I've been visiting Lundin.

Slainte

rich

Philip Gawith

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »
Thanks Rich. Its funny, on the picture it looks much more prominent than the other, fabled! green. As you know with us chaps we seldom find our drives on the short grass so we don't threaten the scorer very often. I am of course keeping my head down as the world crumbles around us. Good time to be on the links!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »
Good to hear from you Phillip, and good to see that you remember your albatross at Lundin Links.  For a big hitter like you these must be a dime a dozen, or do we say a trillion dollars a dozen, these days.....

That green to the right on 13 was an experiment 20+ years ago.  I've never seen it in play in the years I've been visiting Lundin.

Slainte

rich
The first (and only time before BUDA VII) that I played Lundin was in 1992.  I had been playing golf only a couple of years and remember 13 well since it was the first time I ever had a putt for eagle (of course I 3-putted fro 15').  The green then was the right hand one.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
Thanks Mark, Rihc and distinguished other friends.   I just love it when GCA mode is  cooperation.

First trip to Fife this summer and I've bookmarked this thread.  Anyone else wonder what the hell "earmarked" means? 

"Two great nations separated by a common language" GBS

(who of course was an Irishman living in London). ;D
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back