News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Aerial 19
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:46 AM »
A very rare 9-hole course (perhaps the only one???) by this important architect:

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: British Aerial 19
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:03:01 AM »
This is also Doctor MacKenzie, Marsden near Huddersfield.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
Mark:

It is rare when I look at an aerial of a completed routing, and can't figure out the sequence of holes.  But this one is pretty baffling.  Can I ask if I have it right?

I'm assuming that the clubhouse is to the right, and the first two holes are across the road.  Then is the third the par-4 playing due south (top to bottom on the screen)?  #4 goes back to the right, and #5 diagonally to the top center, across the ninth fairway?  #6 a par 3 to the bottom, #7 a long hole to the far left corner (teeing off over the top of #6 green), #8 back to a green very close to #5, and #9 from a tee just south of there back to the clubhouse?

Phil McDade

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
Tom:

I think that's right -- although I had a sequence where the two holes north of the road were played in the middle of the round, rather as the two openers.

What had me confused was the greensite in the upper left of the aerial, and that large, inverted U-shaped bunker at the corner of those fairways. I had thought that bunker served as a greenside bunker for a green just to its left, and that there were two parallel holes in the upper left of the picture, with a shared fairway, similar to what you'd find at TOC's 9th and 10th holes. But I think you're routing is probably the correct one.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Mark,

Dr. Mack is also attributed to having done the original 9 at Pittsburgs Delta View in Northern California.

It was built as a 9 holer only and in the 1990s a 2nd 9 was added.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:11:14 PM »
http://www.marsdengolf.co.uk/

This is as near as I get. I haven't played the course, although I have driven past several times. It's on my list of must plays, for obvious reasons.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back