News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Mosely

Thendara by Donald Ross
« on: November 07, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »
I've heard from people I should go play this pretty little gem in the Adirondacks.

I only found one thread:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31043.0.html

All you Ross-a-philes out there...anyone have a write-up or opinion?

Scott Witter

Re: Thendara by Donald Ross
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
Mike:

Thendara does have a few decent holes by Ross, he only did 9 there, but honestly it is nothing like the quality of Teugega in Rome NY.  So if you plan to be in the area, I would easily pass on Thendara and NOT miss Teugega.  You won't be disappointed ;)

Mike Mosely

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:53:57 PM »
Who did the other nine?  It must be the front that Ross did.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Mike - That's a good question ... I'll start researching. The non-Ross back 9 is VERY different than the front, and offers some beautiful views of the Moose River, if not some average holes. Scott, is right that Teugega is a more interesting course, but Thendara is very enjoyable in season.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
...and it's a nice drive up there.  In fact, the drive from Utica to Lake Placid is one of my favorite drives in the country.  (Except in winter, then it's murder!)

But it's heavenly from April to November.

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 04:03:26 PM »
April to November?

How about mid-June to early October?

-John

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
I may be a little on the optimistic side - I remember snow on may 5th and frost on June 3 (frost!  on June 3!), but at least you can drive around up there come May and November.  After that, you're right John, the winters are fantastically cruel.  Much worse than Colorado or Oregon.

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:43:19 PM »
We used to drive past this course every summer in my youth, on our way to vacationing at Big Moose Lake, about 15 miles northwest of the course. Can't say I ever played the course, but the Adirondacks are just beautiful. Some of the best hiking around.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:59:41 PM »
Yes they do have some of the best hiking around.  The high peaks region is famous for it and rightly so.

michael j fay

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »
Thendara front side (Ross) has a few of the wildest Ross greens I have ever seen. The ninth is one of the most imaginative, looks like the wingspan of an eagle and poses many difficulties.

Teugega is very special. Other than the lack of distance on the five pars the course can hold its own against any onslaught. The par threes are as good as any in the Ross portfolio.

Play'em both.

Ed Homsey

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:28:07 PM »
Thendara is one of my favorite Adirondack courses.  I love that Ross front nine.  Gives me a chance to score, and on foggy mornings to watch the deer play.  Good preparation for that tight and interesting back nine.  It is my understanding, from info I've seen at Thendara was well as the Cornish/Whitten book that William Harries did the back nine.  Compared with the front, it is a very challenging nine with some terrific golf holes--#11, #15, #17, and #18.  It's a neat place to play.  But, I would not go there looking for a great example of Ross design.

Teugaga has been mentioned.  That is one of my favorite courses, anywhere.  Wonderful terrrain and routing that create a distinctive character for each hole.  Terrific green sites that are beautifully placed and contoured.  A great experience.  And, after golf, enjoy some lunch on the patio overlooking Delta Lake.

Ed 

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 10:02:44 PM »
Pictures?!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
Was it named after the home planet of the Thunder Cats, by chance?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back