News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Cohn

Artificial Turf
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
How far are we from being able to construct a golf course using artificial turf, with satisfying results and at reasonable cost?

John Moore II

Re: Artificial Turf
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »
I should say we are a fair way away from this happening, mostly because, as I recall, the USGA rules state that a golf course must be grass. If this were to happen, it may be a reasonable thing, but then where would you build one? It certainly wouldn't be done in a year-round place like Florida or Arizona because the grass stays green year-round. But in a place in the mountains, it might be a reasonable idea since you could get more use at the beginning of the year and anytime there is no snow. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:46:43 PM »
Matt,

I don't know the answer to your question. (Frankly, I doubt I'd be interested to play a course featuring artificial turf.)

I worked with Mike DeVries during the start to construction at Greywalls, in Northern Michigan. The proposed site for a back tee at the 7th hole there was a difficult spot, and there was some talk of using a sport turf which resembles grass for this particular teeing area. A  number of NFL teams use this type of artificial turf, which kinda does resemble grass, these days.

I wonder if this ever came to fruition? I've never asked Mike.

Mike?
jeffmingay.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:06:33 PM »
Already been attempted with at least one 7 hole course complete.

http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=428027

There is also this one.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60583

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 07:08:41 PM »
I should say we are a fair way away from this happening, mostly because, as I recall, the USGA rules state that a golf course must be grass. If this were to happen, it may be a reasonable thing, but then where would you build one? It certainly wouldn't be done in a year-round place like Florida or Arizona because the grass stays green year-round. But in a place in the mountains, it might be a reasonable idea since you could get more use at the beginning of the year and anytime there is no snow. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Which rule is that? That's pretty specific, especially considering it flies in the face of any bare area on a golf course.

Does this entitle me to relief from hardpan?

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »
If so,

It is a great way to demolish the environment of a site

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:34:37 PM »
Why aren't cart paths built from artificial turf?  Would aesthetically blend in and also not have the ball bounce wildly.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:38:05 PM »

I hope it never happens. I believe it would start the end of the world.

John Moore II

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
Sorry, I was incorrect. Its not in the USGA rules. Its in the PGA of America Bylaws. They say that a Recognized Golf Course must consist of planted grass with the exception of teeing areas.

OK, so you could have a golf course with artifical turf, but it could not be PGA recognized. So, no professional on staff. For whatever anyone might care about that.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:50 PM »
Sorry, I was incorrect. Its not in the USGA rules. Its in the PGA of America Bylaws. They say that a Recognized Golf Course must consist of planted grass with the exception of teeing areas.

OK, so you could have a golf course with artifical turf, but it could not be PGA recognized. So, no professional on staff. For whatever anyone might care about that.

They could have a pro on staff, just not a Class A-1.

John Moore II

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »

They could have a pro on staff, just not a Class A-1.

Yeah, i guess they could, it would just make for a very odd classification, since most require work at a "PGA Recognized Facility."

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »
About a year ago we designed a 9-hole course for a small community in Northern Arizona. The project, as many, is on hold. But, we were encouraged by the use artificial tees and greens — mostly because there was zip in the way of water availability. So, it was a good way to bring golf to people who wanted it but could not ordinarily have it.

http://www.golfgroupltd.com/news/orchard_club.html
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

J_ Crisham

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:42:43 PM »
At Rich Harvest Links in Sugar Grove IL the championship tee on a par 4 is artificial turf. This is the site of the Solheim Cup and last year it hosted the NCAA mens Midwest Div I regional. THe hole as I recall is quite wooded and I suspect that poor sunlight is the issue here. I think I've seen pictures here of it as memory serves me.        Jack

John Moore II

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
I am not totally against the idea and I don't think the world will come to an end if one is built. I mean, if you could keep the initial cost reasonable, why not build one? Especially with the new UV resistant field turf. In the long run, I would think it would come out to be cheaper. And I think the course itself could be designed in much the same way that a grass course would be designed. All except for the rough, that would not be possible, just for the potential of physical injury.

Jack--you are correct. Rich Harvest has an artifical tee, 14th I think, Devils Elbow. (Could be wrong with hole number and hole name, but it has one, I know that)

Brad Klein

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
Jack Crisham,

I'd amend that slightly. The issue with Rich Harvest Farms' carpeted teeing ground isn't the poor sun light; it's an owner who thinks it's fine to build a golf course without adequate sun and air movement and who is more interested in preserving trees than in building playable holes.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 11:24:57 PM »
At Rich Harvest Links in Sugar Grove IL the championship tee on a par 4 is artificial turf. This is the site of the Solheim Cup and last year it hosted the NCAA mens Midwest Div I regional. THe hole as I recall is quite wooded and I suspect that poor sunlight is the issue here. I think I've seen pictures here of it as memory serves me.        Jack

Here you go Jack...

One of the strangest holes I have played.  It is hard to think of a more overrated golf course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back