News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re: #1 greens that put the player on notice
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 08:05:09 PM »
As you approach the 1st green at Pine Valley, the wide open front looks almost inviting, and it's only when you walk onto the green...and walk...and walk...and walk towards the back of a rapidly narrowing green increasingly falling off into oblivion on each side that you realize...you are not only put on notice, but you're about to be beaten mercilessly around the head and shoulders, with some certain body blows thrown in for good measure..

As Ran's Review of PV states;

1st hole, 425 yards; Considered the finest 19th hole in golf, the 8,300 square foot green starts as an extension of the fairway and ends as a peninsula with sharp fall offs on all three sides. The demand for clear thinking is immediate: with the front portion of the green ample in width, is the golfer content to be on the front and take two putts to get down? Or is he confident enough to chase after the back hole locations where the green narrows? A wonderful dilemma posed by a bunkerless green site.

As taken from the right side of the green complex, an approach lost slightly right is kicked away
from the green and towards death. A similar fate awaits on the left side and over as well.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 08:06:46 PM by MikeCirba »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »
Oakmont - no question.

When your pure iron shot hits the green and then trickles off the back - you're on notice. 

When your chip shot back up to the flag comes up short - you're on notice.

And when you 3-putt from 10 feet - you're on notice. 

Now you're thinking "only 17 more to go."

Or, as a member told me after my hard-earned, up and down bogey a few years ago, "17 pars for a 72!"

Right.  :P

C. Squier

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »
Crystal Downs was my frontrunner for hardest 1st green until I met Winged Foot West.  I had 10 putts after 3 holes there and I generally consider myself to be a good putter.  I didn't know what side of the club to hold walking off #3.  But man, what fun it was....I'm up for that kind of torture any day.

As for a course that hasn't been mentioned, depending on pin placement, #1 at Engineers can be a devil of a green. 

David Stamm

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »

As for a course that hasn't been mentioned, depending on pin placement, #1 at Engineers can be a devil of a green. 

Clint, see my last sentence when starting this thread. I agree, it is a green that grabs your attention by the scruff of the neck!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:23 PM »
#1 at Friars Head

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

C. Squier

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »

Clint, see my last sentence when starting this thread. I agree, it is a green that grabs your attention by the scruff of the neck!

More than one sentence taxes my short attention span.....I'll have to think a little harder now since I'm no longer very original!

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:44 PM »

More than one sentence taxes my short attention span.....I'll have to think a little harder now since I'm no longer very original!

No worries! Great minds think alike! ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matt OBrien

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 09:00:49 PM »
Dont get me Wrong..1 at PV is a great green. The only part that will get your attenton is if you miss it. As for the greeen itself it is pretty flat. I was front right and the pn was back left. I thought the ball would break a ton and the caddy said right edge. Sure enough, dead straight. It is surprisingly flat

Pat Burke

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 09:05:53 PM »
I seem to remember the green on #1 at Kingston Heath grabbing my attention

Mark_Fine

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
Nanea!

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:32 PM »
The 13th green at Shoreacres is pretty scary.

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 09:34:08 PM »
how about #1 @ yeamans?  that thing is a beast.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 01:47:57 AM »
Where I was put on notice regarding the quantity of putts that were forthcoming:

Crystal D
Oakland Hills
Engineers
Yale

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Jay Carstens

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »
Prairie Dunes CC.  On our first visit, I'll never forget watching all three guys 3-jack right in front of me.  Yikes.
Play the course as you find it

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 10:37:37 AM »
In my experience no 1st green gets a player's notice like PV's, particularly if the pin is near that Crump Cup Sunday postion of mid-right or in the back. I've never seen more players of all levels give an audible sigh of relief to get through that one with a par.

The Creek Club's redanish 1st green is a very good one but it gets a lot more doable with a little experience. The thing about that hole that keeps me scratching my head is how to develop a bit more in the way of strategic options on the tee shot. The club opened up the left side of the fairway recently and extended fairway down along the left side of those diagonal bunkers. The only problem there is to get down there off the tee (which definitely puts the golfer in an ideal position to just play right up into the bolster of that green with a wedge) one needs to hit a tee shot of well over 300 yards. The other problem is if a good player lays up with a 3 wood or something well short of that diagonal bunker string and well short of the extended left fairway area and in the middle, they only have an approach of around 120 yards or less left. My suggestion has been to take a very narrow bunker in-line right in the direction of the tee and make the distance differential a lot greater between a lay-up off the tee in the middle and going way down to the left. If that can't be done the tee shot just isn't going to get that much of a good player's attention because his approach will be a short one anyway.

Essentially, that diagonal bunker scheme on the first hole is in the wrong place---eg it's too far out on a hole of that length to have real strategic meaning on the tee shot or approach shot. If it was up to fifty yards closer to the tee and on the same basic orientation it would be so much more strategically thoughtful and meaningful.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 10:43:48 AM by TEPaul »

David_Madison

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 11:26:19 AM »
Oakmont - - The green really doesn't look like much is happening. Compared to some of the others listed here with all kinds of swales, cuts, and other issues, its as benign looking as you could ever see. But after your perfect approach, pitch, or chip comes to an almost full stop at the hole, looks in, and then keeps on running until off the back...

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
Canton Brookside
Old Town Club
Pinehurst No. 2 (surrounds included)

Ditto on Friars Head & Lost Dunes.

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 02:32:37 PM »
I forgot one, not that its over-dramatic, but its an excellent green announcing the great 17 more holes of golf left to come. This course also belongs on the "seems to get no respect" list (Rodney Dagerfield) because it maybe one of the Game's great courses....

PLAINFIELD

JESII

« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
Dont get me Wrong..1 at PV is a great green. The only part that will get your attenton is if you miss it. As for the greeen itself it is pretty flat. I was front right and the pn was back left. I thought the ball would break a ton and the caddy said right edge. Sure enough, dead straight. It is surprisingly flat

You're eyes must have not have returned to their sockets yet...

#1 at PV does not fit the "more severe than any to come" qualifier (if that actually was a qualifier...) but in my opinion it gives the best indication of what is to come of any course I have seen.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
The 2nd at PV, however... Wow! What a green that is...

The 1st at Cypress got my attention pretty sharpish given the huge break on the putt I had from the left hand side of the green to a pin back right. It basically ended up going beyond the hole and then backwards into it!

NGLA - pin was back left and my caddie said that 4 would be a good score. We all drove the green, three three putts and one four putt later... What a green that is.

I'd also include the first at Pebble Beach due to the size (or lack thereof) of it. You're put on notice that you'll need to be hitting accurate irons to hit those greens.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
Oakmont

Augusta

One we forgot...Pinehurst #2...front left pins you could be on that green for an hour putting

TEPaul

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 04:23:02 PM »
Chip:

I have never seen a photograph that so fails to pick up the effective tilt of a green as does that one above of Oakmont's #1.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »
maybe these are better?

On the front of the green starting back up the hill into the fairway

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back