News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Greg Tallman's Feature Interview & GolfClubAtlas.com Cabo event
« on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
Greg’s Feature Interview has been posted for several weeks and many have already read it.

In it, he talks about the virtues of golf at Cabo del Sol where he has been the Director of Golf for four years. As you can tell from the updated profile on The Ocean Course there, I am a big fan of this Nicklaus design, which is at the top of the heap for Baja as well as Mexico as well as Nicklaus Design IMO. Having a world class course as a benchmark has served Cabo well for over a decade with the quality of the subsequent golf being of a high standard.

Hence, this question: who would have interest in attending a GolfClubAtlas.com event in Cabo in early December, 2009? Yes, that's a ways out but golf calendars have a way of filling up quickly. Depending on where you fly in from, it can be a day each way of travel time, so the event itself would probably be for three full days and be wrapped around a weekend.  As Greg notes in his Feature Interview, early December is an ideal time to be here as it is not crowded and the weather is perfect. For sure, we would play the Nicklaus and Weiskopf courses at Cabo del Sol and work out some lodging arrangements with Greg.

In addition, as noted in his Feature Interview, there is a lot of new construction presently going on there. The new Love course through the towering dunes that we have all seen photos of in this Discussion Group will have been open for six plus months by December, 2009 and perhaps we would play there and visit with one of the architects. Kurt Bowman of Nicklaus Design lives down there so hopefully we could catch him between trips. Fazio’s new Chileno Bay will be open then (and it is short grass everywhere which is really neat, though as Greg says, that will make it hard too) but is ultra-private so arranging a game there will likely be problematic. However, Doak’s Bay of Dreams is two and half hours to the north and would be included, assuming it holds to its tentative October, 2009 opening.

Based on that general outline, who would be interested in such an event at Cabo? If we can get twenty plus people, then I will help coordinate it. The cost would probably be in the $2,250US range for four rounds of golf played over three days and four nights of accommodations (i.e. fly in Thursday, play Friday, Saturday, Sunday, then fly out Monday).

Let me know what you think. As you gather from Greg’s Feature Interview, it is a great part of the world and we would certainly have fun.

Cheers,

paul cowley

Re: Greg Tallman's Feature Interview & GolfClubAtlas.com Cabo event
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »
Ran....sounds like a good plan.

I will help facilitate with the Love course as things come together.

Good interview Greg....now I at least know what you look like. ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:33:51 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TX Golf

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
It is a long ways out but I could most likely be convinced!!

Robert

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »
A Nicklaus course worthy of Ran's praise? Sign me up.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »
The timing is excellent for me - it's that or skiing...

I'm in...

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:43:52 PM »
Given that time frame, I would be interested.  My girlfriend has a time-share down there. 

Would we be required to get the housing through you or could we use some other housing to lower the cost?

JMorgan

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 07:53:03 PM »
I am definitely interested, Ran. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
I'm in  ;)

Can certainly accommodate those with off site housing but the idea of having the group contained within one of the interior gated communities (on the beach and on the golf course) would make for a more intimate gathering.

Paul... the number I plugged in for Diamante golf to arrive at Ran's estimate was $12 I hope that you can work with that.  :)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:39 PM »
this is why I got my passport last year, I would be interested in a weekend or even a whole week if more are interested. Keep me on your contact list.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »
Now this sounds great - never been to the Caribbean before, even though it is a bit of a trip from London!

What about the course I saw on the Champions' Tour earlier this year at Cap Cana? The setting looked incredible.

Please keep me informed...

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
Now this sounds great - never been to the Caribbean before, even though it is a bit of a trip from London!

What about the course I saw on the Champions' Tour earlier this year at Cap Cana? The setting looked incredible.

Please keep me informed...

Tom, your geography knowledge is americanesque... Cabo is on the Mexico's Baja Peninsula about 1000 miles south of San Diego. I think The Ocean Course would compare rather favorably to the course you mention though.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 02:59:27 PM »
Well I did say I'd never been there before Greg, but please excuse my woeful geography!!!

That's even better, means I could tie in a trip to Monterey and Palm Springs etc before flying down.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:05:35 PM »
Well I did say I'd never been there before Greg, but please excuse my woeful geography!!!

That's even better, means I could tie in a trip to Monterey and Palm Springs etc before flying down.

Tom, sorry I was poking more at the oft publicized lack of geographical knowledge of most gringos (americans). A beer is on ice waiting for you as a peace offering.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »
Don't you mean a cerveza? :D
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 03:59:11 PM »
I will throw my hat in the ring for informational purposes....sounds like a great idea...dunno if it will fit my 09, but I'm very interested.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 08:09:48 PM »
Sounds very interesting - maybe it can be an international King's Putter

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2008, 12:56:45 AM »
I'm done with Mexico.  I'm tired of having to bring lots of $$$ for the local Federales...

New Mexico instead  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 12:59:45 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Greg Tallman

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 12:13:36 PM »
I'm done with Mexico.  I'm tired of having to bring lots of $$$ for the local Federales...

New Mexico instead  ;D

Don't speed
Don't use the bushes as a restroom
Don't treat locals like "second class citizens"
Don't preach about "how we do it in Amercia"
Don't complain and try to rationalize that it should be cheaper than it is because "this is Mexico"

Your overgeneralization of Mexico is unfair and hurtful and far too typical of many gringos. 

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »
Sounds pretty cool to me - especially with the interest from many of my friends on the site. Now I just need good playoff runs by the Steelers and Penguins... :)

I had a terrific experience my trip to Puerto Vallarta - wonderful culture, terrific hard working people, beautiful land. If the locals in Cabo will tolerate a Mountaineer, surely they will welcome a Panther. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John Handley

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
I'm always l;ooking for a reason to go to Cabo.  I love the golf down there.  So I am interested for sure.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2008, 04:33:48 PM »
Greg,

You forgot to mention...

Don't bring your debit or credit card.  If you bring it ... don't use it!
Don't be using a rental car with CA plates and three white boys that screams "gringos must pullover".
Don't book tee times as they change whether you booked them or not
Don't ask how much a round is going to cost because the rate changes by the minute.

The bottom line is I miss Mexico.  Been going for years, but enough is enough.

The bad experiences more recently (last 5 or so years) have accumulated.  The golf is simply not worth the harrassment and expense anymore.  It's just not a good deal to me.  They've always had corruption issues down there (aka la mordida), but I believe it's somehow worse now.

Also, I wasn't generalizing anything.  I was stating "why" I'm no longer going.  Not saying how all of Mexico is.  Big difference.  I think you're implying much more than what I stated.

Last but not least, it's not wonder we got fleeced ... you're sweeping generalizations are probably exactly what's going through their minds down there.  So essentially we're paying for the "gringo".

For your information ... I'm French and was raised in France and you're spot on about how we'd get sick and tired of Americans coming over and basically wanting everything like back home.  But we never robbed you blind or committed card fraud...

That said ...  I wish all a great time down there.  Honestly, I mean that.

New Mexico instead  ;D

Don't speed
Don't use the bushes as a restroom
Don't treat locals like "second class citizens"
Don't preach about "how we do it in Amercia"
Don't complain and try to rationalize that it should be cheaper than it is because "this is Mexico"

Your overgeneralization of Mexico is unfair and hurtful and far too typical of many gringos. 

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Greg Tallman

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 01:50:33 PM »
Patrick,

Not sure where you were experiencing the issues you mention particularly the tee times and prices changing issues but obviously not at the more respected facilities here in Cabo. 

It would appear you are assuming Northern Baja is like all of Mexico. That is a mistake and yes a generalization.

And by the way... perhaps you should phone your bank and find out how many thousands of times per day in the US credit/debit card info is obtained and used illegally. Not exactly a "Mexico thing"

Greg Tallman

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
Sounds pretty cool to me - especially with the interest from many of my friends on the site. Now I just need good playoff runs by the Steelers and Penguins... :)

I had a terrific experience my trip to Puerto Vallarta - wonderful culture, terrific hard working people, beautiful land. If the locals in Cabo will tolerate a Mountaineer, surely they will welcome a Panther. :)

George... can you get out of Western PA now that Wanny has built the wall around the area?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back