News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

fred ruttenberg

Nice, France?
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:27:13 PM »
Planning a trip there in September. I would appreciate any recommendations of where to play (when I am no tlooking at the scenerary on the beach).

Guy Nicholson

Re: Nice, France?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
Very nice, yes.

;)

Eric Franzen

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
Will you have a rental car?

If so, I would recommend driving 90 minutes to Barbaroux, which is designed by Pete and Perry Dye.
First nine has some wild and quirky holes laid out on hilly terrain. Second nine is a bit more flat and target oriented  with a bunch of ponds. It's not Dye's absolute finest moment, but I am quite sure that you will have good time.

Cheers,

Eric

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
Fred,

Barbaroux is good, Mandelieu is outstanding. Played there at the end of April. It is a Colt layout and worth the trip.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
Fred:

Stay on the topless beaches, the architecture is far more interesting.

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 09:56:39 AM »
  Thank you.Where is Mandelieu?

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
Royal Mougin is about ten kilometers and hosted the Air France open for several years. Its not a bad track but nothing to write home about. Thirteen years ago I lived there for about six months, consulting and also training a superintendent. Visited many courses in the area and found most sub-standard as were most of the women on the beach. Have fun anyways and bring lots of money!!!

James Bennett

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »
Bring lots of money, as Randy said.

September is a good time as the French school holidays have finished and the traffic will revert to just madness instead of insanity.  The roads resemble waiting lines for car-parks that are tens of kilometers away in season.

St Tropez is a nice spot to visit late afternoon, as the sun sets on the port in the evening (the only spot on the Riviera with the setting sun.  The beaches around the corner have sand, and there is a different section of beach for the different 'interest' groups.  However, if you are going to use the beachside cafes (or the places in the Port), as Randy says, have plenty of money.

One restaurant that I visited a couple of times  about 9 years ago is Bruno's (just Google Bruno, and he will appear).  It is about an hours drive inland from St Tropez (which is an hour or so west of Nice).  A magnificent degustation menu with an emphasis on truffles and exquisite cooking.  Value for money.  Not cheap but not expensive.  I hope it is the same.  If Bruno is a 6'6" giant of a man, it is the same place.  Don't plan on doing much that evening after lunch, and allow for a slowish next morning as well.

Have fun, the sun and light make this part of the world a magnificant place.  There is a reason there are so many people there.

Can't tell you about the golf.  There is a course that climbs the hill behind St Tropez, but I am not recommending it to you.  Very hilly, and narrow in parts.  I have only seen cart golf there.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
Fred,

Barbaroux is good, Mandelieu is outstanding. Played there at the end of April. It is a Colt layout and worth the trip.

Jon

Did you take any photos of Mandelieu?  The website is pretty good but the pics are a bit small to get a good feel for the place.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Paul,

no, I forgot my camera and regret it more each day. The course is fantastic with a superb atmosphere. I will post a description as soon as I get time. At the moment I am run off my feet.

Fred,

its near Cannes, If you play no other course in the Nice area then play this.

Michael Latham

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 02:55:57 PM »
Would endorse trip to Barberoux, just before Aix on A8. One hour Nice
Suggest also Terreblanche at Fayence, think junction 37 of A8. 45 Minutes Nice
Cannes-Mougins is friendly and fairly nice course. 20 minutes Nice

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
I just returned from France.  Cannes-Mandelieu is listed as having Colt as the architect. Having just played several of his courses in England (Sunningdale, Swindlley) I could see no evidence of his ability.The course did not have one distictive feature. Almost flat. Holes completely forgetable and in terrible condition.

Also played Cannes-Mougins. This is a very interesting course and worth playing if one is in the area. Condition was excellent. 

TX Golf

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 04:30:46 PM »
Fred,

As always... the more important question is how were the beaches!?!?!? I just spent six months in Spain and I don't know if the beach scenery can get any better than that!!!  ;D ;)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 02:27:39 AM »
Fred,

sorry you didn't enjoy Mandelieu and maybe you let the condition, which is not good, blind you. I found that with the exception of the 13th, which somehow did not fit, it was a fantastic course from a GCA point of view. The par 3s were diverse in length, shot required and challenge of the green complex. The first is a great opening hole and the short par 4 5th a real gem.

Do they still have concrete instead of sand in the bunkers ??? ;D

Did you take any photos? I will be down there in the winter and will take some then.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 01:27:07 PM »
Golf de Saint Germain, a great H.S. Colt course, is definitely worth a visit if you can arrange it.  Its only about a 30 min train ride outside of Paris.
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 10:58:40 PM »
God only knows why Fred Ruttenberg asks for advice with golf around the world. The way that man has traveled in this way as long as I've know him, he should be giving all of us on this website advice in these things.

And someone told him to bring lots of money when he goes somewhere???

My God, again, that man IS money. He's a virtual MINT!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back