News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Correlation between Ability and Appreciation?
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 08:20:36 PM »
And Mike, just how do you think Sully's short game deteriorated such that it's not tour level?

Huck,

My comments were focused more on my amazement about how straight a Dad with 4 little kids was was off the tee. I have seen a long before, including a freakish long baseball player at Yale, but he was wild. Sully was straight and long.

Short game comment was a generalization that the difference between #50 (Rod Pampling) in the world and #950 (Rob Bradley) is probably a putt and a chip per round around the greens. #50 is probably flying private a few times per year and #1050 is probably staying with his caddie at a Holiday Inn Express. Tough business.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:38:05 PM »
Tim,

I think you make a good point regarding skill level and subsequent appreciation for certain elements of a course.

Thus, the testament of greatness for any course must be appreciation from both the good and mediocre golfer (who actually thinks about the layout while playing) because they are essentially playing different courses during the round.

It really is a tremendous challenge for any architect to pull off, which must be why so many courses over the last 20 years have gone down the dark path of challenging the good golfer by creating a "championship" course, talking it up in the magazines, adding a $250 green fee and getting mediocre golfers out there who will lose a dozen balls and possibly several clubs into the drink on 18.

The less skilled golfer probably has a more difficult time appreciating the architecture of a course if he or she is just trying to survive out there without having to run back to the Pro Shop to reload.

JESII

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 08:57:14 PM »
Sween,

I can tell you, if #950 has a caddy, she came with a wedding ring and would leave with half if it came down to it...the good news is, half wouldn't be too much!

"On Tour" would be a stretch, unless the Holiday Inn Express Tour counts...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
Mike, I get all that, for sure.

I just do not want my delusions shattered.

Sully is a great player, of that there must be no question.  But having four little ones simply MUST have some detrimental effect.  I will hear nothing otherwise (whether true or not).

;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2008, 10:16:11 AM »
There is if you want to be a rater for Golf Digest. Only lower handicappers need apply.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2008, 10:26:06 AM »

I just do not want my delusions shattered ...  But having four little ones simply MUST have some detrimental effect.  I will hear nothing otherwise (whether true or not).

But you only have 3, so you should be better or have deteriorated less ... ;)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2008, 10:36:51 AM »

I just do not want my delusions shattered ...  But having four little ones simply MUST have some detrimental effect.  I will hear nothing otherwise (whether true or not).

But you only have 3, so you should be better or have deteriorated less ... ;)

Oh the latter, for sure.  But then again I came from a VERY VERY VERY lesser starting point.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back