News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kirk

Leonard Pinth-Garnell on Sandpines Golf Links
« on: August 16, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »
I played Sandpines Golf Links in Florence, Oregon yesterday.

Leonard Pinth-Garnell was a recurring character, played by Dan Aykroyd, on early Saturday Night Live episodes.  I'm reluctant to give further details.  Either you get it or you don't.

Bart Bradley

Re: Leonard Pinth-Garnell on Sandpines Golf Links
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:17:51 PM »
John:

Was it that BAD?

Bart

P.S.  this is a "perfectly awful" thread...one of the worst ever.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:21:54 PM by Bart Bradley »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:38 PM »
to quote Wickipedia

Pinth-Garnell was loosely based on the longtime PBS Masterpiece Theatre host Alistair Cooke.  Memorable quotes"Pinth-Garnell was loosely based on the longtime PBS Masterpiece Theatre host Alistair Cooke.

Memorable quotes:
"Stunningly bad!"
"Monumentally ill-advised!"
"Perfectly awful!"
"Couldn't be worse!"
"Exquisitely awful!"
"Astonishingly ill-chosen!"
"Really bit the big one!"
"Unrelentingly bad!"
"Rally socks!"
"There... That wasn't so good now, was it?"

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »
Regarding the "rally socks" comment, Pinth-Garnell may have been an early influence of the common usage of the word "sucks".

Am I way off base, Pete?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »
Either he or the network censor. Apparelly it could have been rally's hat.

Gene Greco

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »
    I believe this thread could be the one which brings back Tommy Naccarato.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
I'm trying very hard to hold back.  I felt the Pinth-Garnell reference was a coy way of expressing my feelings.  I played Sandpines once before, on back-to-back days in 1993.  It's located on a fabulous piece of property, deep sand about a mile from the ocean.  It seemed pretty good to me back then, before I became better educated about great golf courses.  Let's just say I was surprised how strongly I agreed with Tommy's comments regarding the course.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »
Where is Tommy Knockers when we need him?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 02:45:18 PM »
John:

I looked at the Sand Pines website and while I am not boarding a plane as we speak, it doesn't look Pinth-Garnell bad.  Is it just a disappointment relative to potential or is it truly "one of kind, top notch" bad.  I bet you that I played something worse in the last 2 weeks that was even designed by an ODG (originally, that is.)

Anybody ever play McGregor Links (Emmet--originally) in Saratoga, NY?  Now that deserves the full Pinth-Garnell.  Interestingly, I went from Saratoga to Cooperstown and played Emmet's Leatherstocking....which was great!  As per other threads on this site.   My Confidential Guide gave Leatherstocking only a 5...but it has since been renovated...it would have to be a 7 now.

Bart

John Kirk

Re: Leonard Pinth-Garnell on Sandpines Golf Links New
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
I suppose I should share why I was disappointed with Sandpines.

*  Sandpines is located on a beautiful piece of Oregon dunesland, about 1.5 miles from the ocean, just north of Florence, Oregon.  The ground is naturally lumpy, and was probably covered with quite a few shore pines before construction.  Unlike Bandon, there is no gorse.

*  There are three man-made lakes on Sandpines.  The first small pond guards the front left of the 2nd green.  The second lake hugs the right side of the par-4 4th green, and then creates an all-carry tee shot at the 180 yard 5th hole.  The third lake is often photographed.  This very large lake guards the left side of the 200 yard 17th hole and then is used as thye primary hazard on the cape-style 500 yard 18th hole.  The 17th plays into the wind, while the 18th playts downwind on the tee shot, and crosswind on the approach.

*  Massive containment mounding is used to define holes 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, and 18.  With one or two exceptions, the fairways are quite flat and smooth inbetween the lines of mounds.  There were no centerline hazards on tee shots, and only a few fairway bunkers that even merited attention.  The one fairway bunker I drove into, I couldn't see it from the tee.

*  The bunker construction was quite unusual, mostly natural sand pits that collected balls.  They were deep and recessed into the landscape.  They were very interesting as a group, but would have been more effective if the grass was shorter around them, instead of 1 - 1.5 inch primary rough.

*  The greens were very flat, spongy and slow.  The only short grass around the greens were the standard fairway approaches, and they were slow and spongy.  Virtually all short shots around the green were lofted pitches from 1.5 inch rough.  The ball usually sat up on the top of the rough.

*  Only a few greens sported greenside bunkers that guarded a significant portion of the green..

*  There were three short par 4s that could be considered driveable.  Unfortunately, two of them were holes 1 and 2, before the typical player is ready for such a challenge.  The third one, hole 16, required a long drive over three right-side fairway bunkers.  Unfortunately, the bac of the third bunker was covered with rough, instead of short grass to help propel the ball the last 40-50 yards to the green.

In summary, there was one strategy off the tee; hit the ball in the fairway.  There were no clearcut instances where a shot shape was preferred.  There was one strategy from the fairway; fly the ball onto the green close to the pin.  There were no clearcut instances where a shot shape was preferred.  There was one strategy around the green; pitch the ball at the hole with the proper rollout to stop a the hole.

To be fair, the course is pleasant enough, and an easy walk.  Unless you are sophisticated about golf, the course is likely not to disappoint.  Holes 11, 14, and 15 stand out as good golf holes.

In conclusion, Sandpines is a thoroughly conventional layout which offers very limited strategic interest for the golf enthusiast.  Virtually all of the life has been drained out of this sensational piece of golfing land.  A tragic swing and a miss at a pitch right down the middle.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 07:05:21 PM by John Kirk »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back