News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Sand Ridge and what else?
« on: July 24, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
My buddies from Pittsburgh decided on 36 at Sand Ridge in Ohio and probably Fowler's Mill and Avalon Lakes.

Where else should they play? Wicked Woods? Others?

Thanks in advance!

PThomas

Re: Sand Ridge and what else?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:10 PM »
if you can get on , Kirtland is very good
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
The Country Club a Flynn design is also well regarded. Mayfair is part of the deal at Sand Ridge with reciprocity. Also Canterbury. Staying at Sand Ridge in their cabins is a fun option.           Jack

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:44:38 PM »
Kirtland is a great call by Paul, and the "double dip" with Mayfair is also a good choice.

If public is a choice, then maybe a tour around Sleepy Hollow in Brecksville is worth a look.  I'd also put up The Quarry in East Canton, and Boulder Creek in Streetsboro.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:32:33 AM »
Canterbury
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 10:51:45 AM »
As another has mentioned, I hope your 36 at Sand Ridge includes 18 at Mayfair. Please also check in on the architectural history of the course (Barker vs. Way)

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:11:24 AM »
Did they ever make any final decisions on whether to add another 18 at Sand Ridge? My recollection is that they were considering it a long time ago.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Billsteele

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
George-I think the answer to your question is no. Sand Ridge merged with Mayfield within the last couple of years. I think the motivation was financial. For whatever reason, people did not want to drive out to Chardon for a golf only club. The merger with Mayfield gave them some flexibility...Mayfield is a more traditional country club, Sand Ridge a golf only facility. However, given that reality and where the economy is now, I doubt that a second eighteen is still in the works.

George Pazin

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »
Thanks, Bill.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »
Bill nailed it exactly.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Mike Mosely

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 07:29:30 PM »
wicked woods???  fire the branding department!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back