News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JWinick

Empty great golf courses - a shame?
« on: July 22, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
A few days ago, a fellow GCAer and I had a discussion on the fact that many of the great golf courses in this country receive very little play.   We all know their names so no need to name them.

I've enjoyed playing a great golf course with the feeling that no other golfers are on the course.   Certainly, the condition of a golf course benefits from less play.   One joins a private club to pay for others not to play. 

On the other hand, is it a waste of precious golf resources that some famous golf courses are hardly played at all?   Wouldn't the game of golf benefit if more people had a chance to play these cathedrals? 

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 10:33:51 PM by JWinick »

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Empty great golf courses - a shame?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
"precious golf resources"

I like that expression a lot.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 11:08:38 PM »
I couldn't possibly agree more.  I think it would do a lot for the image of the game if some of these ultra-exclusive, ultra-private clubs opened their doors every so often to some less-fortunate folks (who often tend to take better care of their courses than do the rich and snobby).  But I'm not holding my breath for this to happen on a large scale. :-\
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 11:12:00 PM »
While we're at it, there are a lot of Bentleys sitting undriven in parking lots around the world.

I wish it were different, because I'm definitely on the "have not" side of things at the moment, but great golf is neither a fundamental right nor a public resource. Oh well.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 11:13:58 PM »
I once worked on the green's crew of a private but not ultra-private CC -- we called it a turf museum.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

JWinick

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:26:09 PM »
I'm not arguing that private clubs should start opening their doors to the general public.   But, how many more people would take up the game or even join a private club of their own if they had a chance to play a private club, let alone a top-100 golf course?

As someone in the real estate business, it's hard to argue that an empty golf course is generally the highest and best use of a property.   Is an ultra-exclusive golf club with 150 80-year old members who play 4X a year good for golf?  Maybe, in some cases.   Eventually, they may have to change, but we all know the game of golf is not growing.  Wait 5-10 years, and you will begin hearing of some well-known golf clubs in trouble.  

Why doesn't the ultra-exclusive golf club allow 1 unaccompanied foursome a day?  Or, try to increase its membership rolls?    Or follow the European model?   Just questions....

John_Conley

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »
Uh, because then they wouldn't be ultra-exclusive.

Credit the guy at Sanctuary for having the big charity push that allows some to play his underutilized track.

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:14 AM »
A few days ago, a fellow GCAer and I had a discussion on the fact that many of the great golf courses in this country receive very little play.   

Too true.  St Andrews Beach only sees asmall handful of miscreants hopping the fence at the moment.  Oh for it not to be so...

Chris Kane

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »
Too true.  St Andrews Beach only sees asmall handful of miscreants hopping the fence at the moment.  Oh for it not to be so...

Only the truly dedicated will be golfing across a market garden in a few months, trying to recreate the Clayton/Doak gem which once sat there...

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 05:42:58 AM »
Only the truly dedicated will be golfing across a market garden in a few months, trying to recreate the Clayton/Doak gem which once sat there...

I guess I will be joining you and the master misogynist at Commonwealth then, where I will also be able to catch up with my old chum Crozier.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 07:50:34 AM »
Too true.  St Andrews Beach only sees a small handful of miscreants hopping the fence at the moment.  Oh for it not to be so...

Imagine. Who would do such a thing.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back