News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I played the Hampton Club (St. Simons Island, GA) last summer during my semi-annual family trip to Jekyll Island and although I was not all that much impressed with the "overall layout" of the course (somewhat tight for my personal tastes), I really enjoyed the tidal marshland stretch of 4 holes on the back nine. The holes that reach out into the tidal marsh are numbers 12, 13, 14 and 15.  I am quite sure that when this course was designed and constructed by Joe Lee that he (nor the construction company and heavy equipment operators) did not have to answer to a higher calling, namely the EPA or Georgia Dept. of Natural Resources.

I am sure the Hampton Club is under strict guidelines and legal contraints concerning these four tidal marsh holes as to what they can and cannot do with them.

My question is, do wetlands in this day and age preclude one from designing these types of golf holes and constructing them on or through wetlands areas? Is cost a determining factor as well? Will the EPA and state environmental agencies even allow you to alter wetlands even if you replace them elsewhere on the property? If the developer of the courses insists on wetlands routing will you do it or avoid it because of the likelihood of federal, state and local regulations that are attached with it? I am sure there are other factor dealing with drainage of these types of holes as well...

Here are a few pictures of the holes at the Hampton Club:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 10:27:13 PM by Rich Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Scott Weersing

Re: The Hampton Club (GA)- Would this routing happen today? (pics)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:36:00 PM »

There are courses that do go over tidal marshes but you can't do it without special permission and waivers.

Tom Doak designed Riverfront in Suffolk, VA and it has several holes that go over tidal marshes. I especially like the fourth hole and the 15th hole.

http://www.riverfrontgolf.com/default.aspx?view=layout

John_Cullum

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »
Hampton Club is definitely out there in the amrsh more than any other club I can think of.

How were the mosquitoes?

The mosquitoes are so bad there the University used the place to study them
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:40:18 PM »
It does go out pretty far into the marsh area. I played there in early July, and it was surprisingly cool that day and a little bit rainy. No bugs!
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

John_Cullum

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »
The university invented these big black balloon looking things suspended in some odd shaped contraption with a catch basin underneath and had them spread around in the pines around the Hampton Club.

Our tax dollars at work
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back