News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Sobieski

I was recently in Lakeland and played BridgeWater, which was recently profiled in Golfweek by Brad. It was not yet "officially" open, but they had players out there. It is a design by Steve Smyers within approximately 30 minutes of the Disney resorts (Exit 38, and I think the Highway 192 exit for Disney is Exit 62). Given all of the "Where to play in Orlando" threads, I want to make sure it gets on everyone's list for good course/good value. Plus it's VERY conveniently located, approximately a half mile off I-4 for those that are trying to minimize their time away from the family at Disney!!

I won't go into all the details (check Brad's review for an in-depth analysis, where his rating would place it in the top 20 daily fees in the state). A couple points, however.....

- The greens have A LOT of contour for a Florida golf course, creating a great deal of fun.
- It may be the most walkable routing of ANY modern Florida golf course. When you walk off the first green, the back tee on #2 is an extension of a chipping area on #1. This type of feature continues throughout the golf course. And unlike many Florida courses, you don't have countless water hazards to circumnavigate as you are walking trying to get to the fairway. It's a straight shot with no exceptions. I don't know their walking policy, but I believe it's an option at times.
- I believe the rates are lower than most of the public options in the immediate vicinity of Disney and the surrounding resort areas.

From the back tees, it's plenty of golf course, yet if we played it up at 6600 yards, we'd have had an equally good time given all the strategy required. If you are making a trip to Orlando, I strongly suggest you check out The Golf Club at BridgeWater (www.golfatbridgewater.com).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:39:50 PM by Doug Sobieski »

wsmorrison

Re:BridgeWater (Lakeland, FL) - A VERY worthwhile option near Orlando
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 07:13:28 AM »
Doug,

I don't know BridgeWater, but I have met Steve Smyers and have played a few of his courses and like what I've seen and my discussions with Steve have been very interesting.  I was talking to Steve last Friday night and he asked about the original plans for Flynn's Cleveland Heights (once private now a muni) in Lakeland, FL.  He'd like to see it revived and restored back to Flynn's intent; well as much as possible as some land was lost to a recreation area.  I sent him the plans and I hope someday that might happen.  The design is very interesting and the land topographic for Florida.  I am pleased that Steve is interested in seeing work done on a project near one of his own.  He certainly has the good of the sport in mind.  That is a refreshing and admirable trait.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:13:56 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Jonathan Cummings

Re:BridgeWater (Lakeland, FL) - A VERY worthwhile option near Orlando
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 07:20:45 AM »
Garl's work at Eaglebrook (also in Lakeland) is worth seeing, especially the back nine.

JC

John_Conley

I did not get to Bridgewater and have learned from a google search that the course closed.  Does anyone know if it is gone for good or if there is the possibility of reopening.  As Doug mentioned in the initial thread, it is accessible from Orlando due to its proximity to I-4.

Steve_ Shaffer

Things don't look good for a reopening. From September 2011:

http://www.theledger.com/article/20110918/NEWS/110919316
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Adam_Messix

I rode by Bridgewater on I-4 this past Spring and it hardly looked like a golf course was ever there and I played there the year it opened. 

Jeff Goldman

This is too bad. I played the course before it opened and it was really, really fun, probably Smyers design partner Patrick Andrews' best effort. Very innovative wetlands mitigation and drainage, and I loved the way he hid the drainage (an anti-Hills). He went nuts at Butterfield, but this was terrific. Discussion of permitting etc was here:

http://www.golfcourseindustry.com/Article.aspx?article_id=71665
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back