News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Why golf is done
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »
They're all dog meat....  ;D

Think Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Phoebe Cates.

Man, Kalen, you COULD NOT be more correct!!!

BTW, if you think Molly Ringwald hit the peak in the Breakfast Club, you should really rent and watch "Malicious". Who knew Molly had such a FAB body?!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2008, 09:08:46 PM »
Caddyshack is a true story, the names have been changed to protect the guilty. I am Carl Spackler.
This thread just brings up the issue "Should municipalities be in the golf business?"  I say golf is not a function of government, except in Scotland.

I would only add the word "anymore". There was a time when the costs were justified. Now that Golf is an industry, it should be a free market and those old justifications are no longer applicable. I suppose that also means they should be free to enter the market, but only with a vote of the constituents. Not just a board/council.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Bert

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2008, 09:16:18 PM »
Here is a nice discussion of the Wall-e - Short Circuit controversy http://screenrant.com/enough-already-with-the-wall-e-short-circuit-comparisons-1372/ If I had known about this rip off I would have never paid to see the movie.

I've been calling this a Short Circuit rip-off for months.  I agreed to go with my son to check it out and confirm my suspicions.

The worst part is when you get to the movie it turns out to be an odd robot / alien love story with a few chuckles and explosions thrown in so the kids will think they are enjoying the bland story line.  I will admit I rather enjoyed their take on the fate of the people, though it wasn't enough to offset the rest of the movie.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
Wall-E has nothing at all in common with Short Circuit beyond the triangular shape of the main character's treads. I'd say offhand it's the best movie I've seen this year unless I'm overlooking something from back in January/February. Of course that isn't saying much given the lack of quality so far in 2008 but it really was good and is probably my second-favorite Pixar movie, after The Incredibles.

Jason Connor

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
On weekends adults do have priority over children...It is common sense.

It seems that courteous golfers should have priority over the discourteous.  And from what I've seen age is uncorrelated to courtesy.  Something tells me Jerry's son is far more a courteous golfer than many on his course.

Just because a man works the other 6 days a week doesn't mean he has priority to drunkenly ramble over 200 acres of his choice on Saturday.

Golf does not flow unless everyone in a group either walks or everyone rides.  Nothing pisses me off more than the purist (cheapskate) who insists on walking when the three other guys are in carts.

I play in a regular Saturday and Sunday morning men's group of 28 - 48 golfers.  We randomly select 4somes each day and there is always a mix of walkers and riders within groups.  So long as everyone plays ready golf (no honors, no 'you're away' before the green) then everything flows just fine.  Our groups nearly always play in under 4 hours.  As a walker, I beat others from green to tee on 16 of our 17 holes.  They usually beat me tee to fairway, and I usually beat them approach shot to green.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tim Bert

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »
Wall-E has nothing at all in common with Short Circuit beyond the triangular shape of the main character's treads. I'd say offhand it's the best movie I've seen this year unless I'm overlooking something from back in January/February. Of course that isn't saying much given the lack of quality so far in 2008 but it really was good and is probably my second-favorite Pixar movie, after The Incredibles.

I enjoyed riding your coattails to a match victory in Georgia.  I've also read enough of your posts here to know that we share a common interest in golf courses, but we probably shouldn't be recommending movies for one another any time soon!

And for the record, Wall-E resembles Number 5 in enough subtle ways that he conjured memories for quite a few people without being prompted.  Actually seeing pictures of Number 5 now many, many years later, they actually look less alike than I expected.  But still close enough such that it would take some serious convincing to believe that there was no strong influence in Wall-E's design.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2008, 03:07:51 AM »
Jennifer Grey?

LMAO...you're kidding, right?

Mia Sara.  They don't get any better than that.

Jennifer Grey...  ::)

Sloan Peterson.... Nice.

Back to architecture. Baby on the putting green asking her dad for the money in Dirty Dancing. Jennifer Grey was hot!!!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:34 AM »
I enjoyed riding your coattails to a match victory in Georgia.  I've also read enough of your posts here to know that we share a common interest in golf courses, but we probably shouldn't be recommending movies for one another any time soon!

Fair enough, partner. Some of my best friends and I never see the same movies, probably says more about my taste than theirs.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back