News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schiffer

Some more thoughts on Mid Ocean and CB Macdonald
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
I realize that both Mid Ocean and CBM have been discussed a great deal on this site but I felt the need to synthesize my thoughts on both after a recent visit.  Now that I've visited NGLA and Mid Ocean (in addition to Old Macdonald earlier this year) I feel like I can finally step back and look at this template thing with a little perspective.  I also now realize just how much of modern design is either influenced by Macdonald or inspired in the same ways that he was by the originals. 

Here's what I wrote after playing the round (also found on my website's blog: http://www.greengrassgolfdesign.com/current/2014/6/6/mid-ocean-club-a-living-golf-history-museum)

Mid Ocean Club is very much a testament to a bygone era of golf course design.  It’s short by today’s “championship” standards (6,530 yards, par 71 from the back tees) but remains extremely challenging due to its contoured, firm greens, many of which are elevated.  Immediately noticeable are the numerous blind drives (notably #12 and #16) and road crossings that, for safety’s sake, a designer simply couldn't get away with today. Despite these anachronisms (and the stunning ocean side setting) the course still feels somehow familiar.

This, of course, is attributable to the fact that this course was designed by C.B. Macdonald, the “Father of American Golf Course Architecture”, who is most famously known for his template hole designs.  Each of Macdonald’s courses contain a number of his favorite hole concepts borrowed from courses that he had played and studied in the UK.  Short, Long, Eden and Road (a.k.a. Mercer Hill at MOC) from the Old Course at St. Andrews, Leven from Leven Links and Redan from North Berwick all appear in both name and spirit at Mid Ocean.  Macdonald also devised some of his own templates that were repeated on many of his courses – Biarrritz and Punch Bowl are featured often on his courses and can also be found at Mid Ocean.

The best part of seeing Macdonald’s templates in person (which I was also able to do at his seminal National Golf Links of America) is that they themselves have become templates for more contemporary golf course designs.  For example, the steep grass faced bunkers around many of the greens at Mid Ocean look a lot like the steep grass faced bunkers at many of Pete Dye’s courses.  The Cape Hole, which was a Macdonald original at Mid Ocean, has inspired thousands of “bite off as much as you can chew” water carry holes worldwide (e.g. the 18th at Pebble Beach, #14 at Streamsong Blue).  Most recently an entirely new course, Old Macdonald, was designed as a tribute to Macdonald’s tributes.  A definitively meta abstraction of an abstraction - this, to me, is further proof that Golf Course Architecture is as much an art form as painting, literature, photography, music or sculpture.

While there are some who would deride Macdonald’s propensity for repeating concepts throughout his golf courses (to be continued on many later courses by his protégés Seth Raynor and Charles Banks), it should be noted that Macdonald was a master at making his golf holes fit the land and wasn't averse to adjusting the templates (while leaving the strategies intact) to best suit the ground that he was building upon.  Furthermore, it’s difficult to argue against the strategic merit of holes such as Road, Long and Redan; requiring the golfer to think on the tee, tempting him into taking risks he should perhaps not be taking, and rewarding the boldest successful golf shots with the greatest rewards.  These are the fundamentals of strategic design and Macdonald’s courses exhibit them in spades.

Here are my favorite photos from the visit:
http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/oneschiffer/slideshow/Mid%20Ocean%20Club
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Nigel Islam

Re: Some more thoughts on Mid Ocean and CB Macdonald
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »
Matt,

Did you access the course by staying at a certain hotel? Certainly a trip I would love to make, but Bermuda seems to get pretty pricey in a hurry. One day!

Matt Schiffer

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 05:03:53 PM »
Nigel - they allow public access on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so, if you ever find yourself in Bermuda, make sure it's over one of those days!  I traveled via monstrous cruise ship but it's my understanding that flights out of NYC are relatively cheap and easy...

I'd also be curious to hear what Mr. Doak has been getting himself into down there.  The condition of the greens was superb.
Providing freelance design, production and engineering for GCAs around the world! http://greengrassengineering.com/landing/

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 05:23:40 PM »
Hmmm, cruise that is one avenue I have not thought of trying to sell.

Lawrence Largent

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:36:02 PM »
I played it while on a cruise and highly recommend it!  I was the only guy on the ship with a sunday bag full of clubs.

Lawrence

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
I played it while on a cruise and highly recommend it!  I was the only guy on the ship with a sunday bag full of clubs.

Lawrence

That's so funny because my first thought was "Can I take clubs on a cruise?"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »

Lawrence

That's so funny because my first thought was "Can I take clubs on a cruise?"

The cheaper cabins are so little you have to sleep with your clubs!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 05:07:41 PM »
Nigel - they allow public access on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays so, if you ever find yourself in Bermuda, make sure it's over one of those days!  I traveled via monstrous cruise ship but it's my understanding that flights out of NYC are relatively cheap and easy...

I'd also be curious to hear what Mr. Doak has been getting himself into down there.  The condition of the greens was superb.

There are also a couple of hotels with preferred access to the course, I think ... Pink Beach used to be one, anyway.  I've always stayed in the cottages below the clubhouse, but I presume that normally has to be arranged through a member.  They are quite accommodating to guest play, actually, much more than their reputation would suggest.

Matt, we rebuilt all the greens over a three-year period a few years ago, to convert them from common Bermuda to Champion [I think it was Champion instead of TifEagle].  Other than that, we haven't done much ... as at many of the courses where I consult, there's really not much to be done.  They have decided to extend the green on the Biarritz [13th], and were going to do the work this summer, but had to postpone it until next year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back