News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Golden

Classic Lake Merced
« on: April 28, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »
here is a photo (circa-1941) of one of Lake Merced's classic par 3's, a slightly uphill (present 4th tee area to present 5th green area), 165 yard beauty:

I'm not sure about exactly how the green is presented from the tee, it may be a little more direct than the photo indicates.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:20:01 PM by Mike Golden »

ed_getka

Re: Classic Lake Merced
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:34:30 PM »
Mike,
   Thanks for sharing the photo. Is that the hole along the edge of the property over near the houses?
    Are you still golfing your ball down in Florida? Good to see you on here.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Golden

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Mike,
   Thanks for sharing the photo. Is that the hole along the edge of the property over near the houses?
    Are you still golfing your ball down in Florida? Good to see you on here.

Ed,

It's near the edge of the property with the tee near the lowest part, right near the current 3rd green.  It's not along the edge near the current 12th and 13th.  It's an unmistakable MacKenzie green complex, isn't it?

I'm barely golfing my ball anywhere these days but now reside in Atlanta, at least for the time being-it's very possible I will be in South Florida before the end of the year.

Mike

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:38:59 PM »
Mike:

Good that you are back.   Do you know the current state of the greens at Lake Merced?   They had some thoughts they could keep the poa out of the greens but then I heard they gave up.   Whats their status?

Thanks

PS.  How's the new marriage?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »
That appears to be some very fine bunker edging work, and much nicer than I would have believed for 1941.  Also, the MacKenzie bunkers are really cool, and most interesting how the slope down inwards towards the green with a healthy amount of fringe collar between the bunker and putting surface.  Does anyone have an idea of what kind or amount of drainage line is under there to keep the rain from running down into the green?  Were washouts of the bunkers an issue?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 08:24:18 AM »
For comparison, current #4 tee is at top center, and #5 green is the nearby green SSE from #4 tee:

Mike Golden

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
Mike:

Good that you are back.   Do you know the current state of the greens at Lake Merced?   They had some thoughts they could keep the poa out of the greens but then I heard they gave up.   Whats their status?

Thanks

PS.  How's the new marriage?

Joel,

When the course was originally reopened in 1998 there was a thought of keeping the greens bent and the poa was killed off but that only last about a year.  Since that time there has been a focus on improving the root structure of the greens through aereation and verticutting.  I was on the Green committee for about 3 years during my time there and Lou Tonelli wanted the greens to be a blend of bent and poa.  There was also a USGA intern at the club in 2002 and 2003 and he did wonders to strenghten the root structure and get the greens in great shape after a nematode problem virtually destroyed some of the green in 2002.

I haven't played there in 3 years but my friends at the club have told me the course is in really good shape so I think the work has continued to reap benefits.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back