News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Bel Air CC (old pics)
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:54:08 PM »
I was going through some of my old photos last night on my hard drive and came across some of Bel Air CC that I thought I'd share with everyone. (Incidently, that's what inspired me to post the guess where of Bel Air last night of the 11th. Well done again Mike Beene!) There aren't alot, but enjoy.

Aerial of the course, 1927

I've posted this one before....

I'm trying to figure out this hole.....

The old clubhouse....

The founder of the club and co-designer, Mr Alphonso Bell.

Randolph Scott and longtime pro, Joe Novak.

A photo of of Bobby Jones and co. in the locker room during the filming of one of his instructional movies..

A view of the 18th green, 1960.

Another view from the same period of the famous swinging bridge....

....and the trophy that bears it's name...

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

tlavin

Re: Bel Air CC (old pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
What a special place!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 01:10:53 PM »
Thanks, David.

That woman in the 2nd photo seems to have had a fine and elegant swing. (I think I can even make out the golf ball heading towards the right portion of the green, but maybe a little short.)

If you haven't seen it before, late in their careers Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea starred in what I think is a really excellent western - "Ride the High Country" that Sam Peckinpah wrote and directed in the late 60s.  The performances by the two old pros are wonderful. (And I'd imagine that it was filmed in Southern California, so with your knowledge of the area it'd be even more fun). 

Thanks again
Peter

Jeff Grossman

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 01:11:14 PM »
Great pictures.....Thanks for posting!

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:45 PM »
Did the bridge ever actually swing?  It's quite sturdy now. (and this is a serious question, not meant as a joke)

These are great DS - thanks for posting.

On the topic of intimidating tee shots, the 10th hole is up there...as a young pup I somehow willed a 3 wood onto the green amidst a crowd of lunchers watching carefully.

mike_beene

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »
David,I think the hole you can't figure out is 7.The green is contoured a little differently,but the steps back right look the same.Now all those tall hedges make the 8 tee look different.Also,there are bunkers short ,left,and I think there is one behind.

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 11:52:59 PM »
David,I think the hole you can't figure out is 7.The green is contoured a little differently,but the steps back right look the same.Now all those tall hedges make the 8 tee look different.Also,there are bunkers short ,left,and I think there is one behind.

Thanks Mike! I have never played there so trying to figure out where this hole was in the routing was tough for me.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:58 AM »
David,

Great photos.

What's the history behind the creation of Bel-Air ?

# 18 has to be one of the most unusual holes in golf and # 10 isn't far behind.

Steve Kline

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »
I also was going to say that unknown hole in the photos was #7. Played there for the first time last Sunday and the photo instantly made me think of #7. That was one of my favorite holes because of the great contours on the green. The hole is a drive and a short iron. The green has lots of little shelves in it which make distance control on the second shot really important.

Some holes on the front seemed a little claustrophobic - like #9.

Allan Long

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »
Great photos David.

Not only is the golf course a gem, but the entire place is special. The bridge, the underground tunnels and the elevator all add to the aura of the place. Looking at the photo of Jones, Joe. E Brown et al., I didn't realize Warner Bros. used Bel-Air as well for the Jones shorts.

Were you able to come across any photos of the Mae West hole before renovations? I've seen it present day, but don't know that I have seen a photo of the original hole.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:56:55 AM by Allan Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »
The hole is #5.  I was very fortunate to spend a lot of time at the house accross from the tee growing up from 1975--1982.  A fellow classmate lived in the house and there was a wonderful (original?) framed picture in the main hallway. 
   I occassionally caddied there in this period.  It was very difficult getting caddy gigs because the old (usually drunk,ect) caddies, nor the caddymaster liked ambitious golfer kids.  LACC was much more amenable because they could b
get away with paying the kids less money.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:43:53 PM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
If the questionable attribution is for the picture underneath, then that is indeed #7.  RTJ and GFazio rebuilt the green in the 1970's, but the overall greens complex shape  is still relatively intact.  This course is hard to play knowing how they have been on a mission to have fashionable name archtects put their imprint into the place.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for posting and describing!

nandoal

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 06:39:09 PM »
What a special place!

I worked there for 3 years and I'll have stories and memories that will last a lifetime!

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:06 PM »
Did the bridge ever actually swing?  It's quite sturdy now. (and this is a serious question, not meant as a joke)

These are great DS - thanks for posting.

On the topic of intimidating tee shots, the 10th hole is up there...as a young pup I somehow willed a 3 wood onto the green amidst a crowd of lunchers watching carefully.

When I played there I had a crowd in the golf shop and dining room looking on.  Very intimidating t shot to say the least

Ash Towe

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 03:10:46 PM »
David,
Thanks for the great photos.
There must be many great stories that could be told in and around this club.

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »

Were you able to come across any photos of the Mae West hole before renovations? I've seen it present day, but don't know that I have seen a photo of the original hole.

"During a reconstruction of the course and greens in 1962 to the utter amazement of the members, the entire area was changed (12th). The mound was removed, the green lowered and Bel Air lost it's Mae West hole. When an indignant group confronted the architect (Dick Wilson) for an explanation as to why he ordered the change and removal of the mound and changed the green on the 12th, he stated that there was no place on a golf course for a blind green, or any situation which required a blind shot."- Joe Novak, long time head pro of Bel Air.

"No. 12 was one of the greatest and most unique holes anywhere."- Mac Hunter, former head pro of The Riviera Country Club.

" ::) >:( :'("- David Stamm, novice golf architecture student on Dick Wilson.

Allan Long

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 04:35:30 PM »

"When an indignant group confronted the architect (Dick Wilson) for an explanation as to why he ordered the change and removal of the mound and changed the green on the 12th, he stated that there was no place on a golf course for a blind green, or any situation which required a blind shot."- Joe Novak, long time head pro of Bel Air.

" ::) >:( :'("- David Stamm, novice golf architecture student on Dick Wilson.

I knew you could find it David, thanks.

I guess it's safe to say that Wilson never did a copy of the Dell hole From Lahinch.  ;)
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 12:47:10 AM »
When I was at UCSB in 1961-64, we played a match against UCLA at Bel-Air in the spring of 1962.  They must have started construction of the revised 12th hole later that year, because it was as shown in the photo when we played.

What I remember most was Dean Martin hitting long irons across the ravine from the clubhouse side to the tenth green side, what a great swing and solid ball striker he was!

It was a wonderful course, I loved the way the holes played into canyons and there were a couple of very good down hill holes, a couple of tunnels,  and good par 3s.  I really can't remember the routing too well but it was exciting!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back