News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: The "Hidden Gem"
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »
Chris -

I think we can focus too much on the "hidden" part and not enough on the "gem".  I don't think it's as important to highlight the little-or-lesser-known courses by famous ODGs than it is to broaden our concept of what constitutes a gem.  I’m thinking again of the “tier-two” English courses that Sean Arble tends to play, all of which simply and elegantly fit the land, offer playability and pleasure and strategic interest to a wide range of golfers, and work agronomically (draining well and being easy/inexpensive to maintain). I think those are the real gems of golf course architecture...

Peter

Andy Hodson

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
Whispering Pines in Trinity, TX (which by the way is not a hidden gem...Trinity that is).

#1 in Texas for three years in a row.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 05:28:48 PM »
Peter P,
Half of the hidden gems I know are by one of my favorite architects -"Unknown".

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Chris -- Just for you, I submit, McPherson Country Club. I experienced it once time with my dad a couple of years ago. 9-greens, 18-tees and a bunch of fun.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »
On this site there arre very few "hidden" gems.  Most of the clubs listed oon this thread are pretty well known to most of us.

To the general public, Pine Valley is a hidden gem.

You're right - It's amazing how many golfers I know out here in the western burbs of Philly don't know about PV.   And I'm sure PV likes it that way :)

And, Wayne is 100% correct about Merion West.  To steal a quote from Gil Hanse (see his interview on this very site), "Bill Kittleman says that there is more architecture in this course than on the East. "

Carl Rogers

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »
At some point, a few of you will want to play Tom D's Riverfront in Suffolk, VA, just so you can say you played all of his courses.  Tom on this site said the green complexes are some of the best he and group have ever done.

It is not far off the beaten track between North Carolina and DC.

R_Paulis

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »
My very very little gem - Hidden Oaks, SB CA.

BVince

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »
I have said it before on here, but Sun Eagles golf course in Monmouth, New Jersey is really fun to play.  It is an old Tillinghast design that is quirky with some world class holes.  At the same time, there are some really mediocre holes as well.  It is probably one of the most fun courses I have played.  Lots of strategy.  One of the best short holes in the world at number 6.  It was about 280 yards...entices the longer hitter to go for the green but its a huge mistake as it will almost never pay off.  The green is an elevated pennisula green surrounded by bunkers about 10-12 feet below.  I wish more people on here had played it.  Conditions might slightly disappoint, but its a fantastic hidden gem.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:26:44 PM by Bryon Vincent »
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Lou_Duran

Re: The "Hidden Gem" New
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »
Jeff Brauer,

Can a modern course be a "hidden gem"?  If so, I think Tierra Verde is one.  It flies under the radar (less than 35,000 rounds/12 month year) and seems to be vastly underrated.

I would enjoy your assessment of the course.  The greens, Tiff Eagle I think, have never been optimally maintained.  The last time I was there, this past summer, the city's conversion to an organic regime resulted in a heavy infestation of nutgrass all over the course, but I sure like the design and variety.  Though it has a couple of awkward spots in the routing, it is a fun course to play.  The par 5s are particularly good. 

Another candidate is Squaw Creek, Lockheed-Martin's course by Plummer.  Firm, fast, and windy, it can be lots of fun.  I do think the conversion to bent greens has made the course easier and perhaps robbed it of some of its quirkiness.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:31:30 PM by Lou_Duran »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back