News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Welcome to David Scaletti
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:30:41 AM »
I see the latest member is the above named.

David is a wonderful photographer, especially of Australian courses.  He took the photos for Darius Oliver's book Planet Golf.

Welcome David and I hope you enjoy your time spent on this site.

Norbert P

Re: Welcome to David Scaletti
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:56 AM »
  A wonderful addition.

One of my favorite bookmarks . . .

http://www.sportscapes.com.au/portfolio/aust/01/Barnbougle12.htm

Welcome David, loved your photos of Gunnamata in Paul Daley's book.

(And that mysterious pre-construction 6th at Barnbougle.)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David Scaletti

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:58 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, I've just returned from seeing my football team win the first game of the season, so the spirits are high and I'm optimistic for the rest of the season.

Slag Bandoon, I almost took the plunge and joined up a few weeks ago when I read a post of yours, (pretty sure it was you!) about a photographer who had given you a bit of a hard time in regard to talking to them while they were working. Rest assured that I am only too happy to engage someone in a bit of conversation when I'm out on a golf course waiting for the light to be right.

To everyone else on this site, please be gentle with the newcomer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:13:46 AM »
Welcome David

Any plans on a US book ?

Chris Kane

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:15 AM »
Kevin, that could also be called Planet Golf!

David Scaletti

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:30 AM »
Kevin, I have a few ideas. But having a few ideas is a long way from becoming reality. However. I really would like to do something in the US.

Big Pete

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 03:35:26 AM »
Welcome Mr Scaletti
Any plans to actually resume playing golf?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:57:07 AM »
Surely a US book would be titled "The complete World of Golf" !!!!
Cave Nil Vino

Philip Gawith

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:00:57 AM »
Welcome David. I too am a big fan of your photography and loved your work in Planet Golf and the book on Australian courses. I have only read a few of the entries so far in Planet Golf - mostly, but not only, the South African ones - and the book does a very good job of walking the fine line between doffing its cap to the traditional values which inform this site, without dismissing everything else that does not conform ( a good example might be the discussion of the Links course at Fancourt). And while Darius may pen the words, I assume since you must largely travel and work as a team that they also reflect your views, so some of the credit is also yours!

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
Welcome David

One of, if not the leading exponent of course photography. Your insites will be welcome.

I also need some more copies of Planet Golf. Drop them in when ever you are near the club. I seem to have misplaced you mobile.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:15:41 AM »
Welcome David

I too have recently purchased Planet Golf and although to date I have only had a quick look through the book your photography is outstanding.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »
I suspect the quality of the pictures posted on the threads will go up exponentially.  :o

Welcome David! 
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 08:42:22 AM »
Welcome David to a great forum.
No One actually reads what you write
Some can’t even copy your name, as for golf
Lots of hot air, most can’t find their way around
a course without their GPS/Rangefinders, yet
nice bunch of nuts, who are happy to help you
when they can.

Get stuck in

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »
Welcome David...from a frequent purchaser of your work!

Also, see the new March 2008 Feature Interview with Mr. Scaletti on this site!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Norbert P

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 11:46:41 AM »
... about a photographer who had given you a bit of a hard time in regard to talking to them while they were working.

In hindsight, it was not well-considered or considerate of me when I walked, through pristine sand dunes(much like Henty Dunes, of which you may be familiar), leaving footprints, probably irking him with every step I took toward and away from him.  I got some really nice shots though.

Again, welcome to the fold.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Mark_F

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 04:45:42 AM »
Welcome, David.

What would you say are the major differences in the way you photograph a golf course, versus the others in the profession?

You can exclude Aidan Bradley and Russell Kirk, since their styles are quite distinctive.

hick

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 12:22:15 PM »
David, Enjoyed Planet Golf, As it kept me sane this winter in New England.

David Scaletti

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:51 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the welcome. And to answer a few questions….

Peter Wood, hopefully soon. I have been playing a bit lately with just a modicum of success. Perhaps a Wednesday morning in the near future.

Andrew, I’ll call you soon and deliver the books before the end of the week.

Slag, the devil is in the detail. You may have tested my patience if you walked through the middle of my shot leaving evidence of your progress, but I still would have welcomed a little conversation.

Philip. The text of Planet Golf is solely the credit of Darius. During our travels we met up only once at Doonbeg and Lahinch. Back in Australia we talked about various courses and maybe my thoughts influenced Darius but I think he knows enough about golf to write his own opinions. I didn’t have anything to do with the writing, and I don’t see too many of my thoughts reflected in Darius’ writing. Not that I necessarily disagree with what he wrote, but the reviews in the book reflect Darius’ opinions.

Melvyn, I’ll try to be brave. It seems easier if I can take your word that no-one actually reads what is written. But I think you jest!

Mark. You’re right, Aidan has a very distinctive style, one that I admire immensely. I met Russell a few years ago when we were both photographing Merion. Again a wonderful photographer.

You’re correct in saying there are differences but I don’t try to quantify what those differences are. Even back in the days when I was involved in commercial/advertising photography I always thought the clients were willing to pay me because they liked the way I saw things. And I think now people will assign me to photograph a golf course based on what they have seen of previous work and whether they like it. Perhaps they would prefer the vision of the aforementioned Aidan Bradley or Russell Kirk. The differences in style to me seem to be the differing ways in which the photographer perceives what is in front of him.

Sometimes I wonder why I do things. For example you will rarely see a photograph of mine which is taken from behind the green. I simply don’t look from there. Yet I see many great shots by other photographers from those locations. I can be a slow learner. The only such image in Planet Golf is the 18th at Capilano. My reason for taking that shot was that I wanted to show the mountains in the background and given the conditions and the time of year I was there I couldn’t find another location to do that. I like the shot, but I just don’t look from behind the green very often.

I would use a telephoto lens even less frequently than I would shoot from behind a green. Put simply I don’t like to compress the view and make things appear too close to each other. But again I do see images where the photographer does this and the image looks great.

What I am trying to say is that the differences in photographers come down to how they see things. The good ones are able to translate that vision to whatever recording device they use, and it is then a matter of choice for the viewer to decide which they prefer……if it is important to them to make such a choice!

The best idea is too simply enjoy the range of images made available by the various photographers.

Brock Peyer

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 10:19:09 PM »
Welcome, will you be sharing some of your work here?  Also, can you give us idiot a few tips?

Paul_Daley

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
Hi Davvy,

Welcome aboard old-timer. It's a bummer, though, how you're finding it hard to get out and play, especially with your crowd-pleasing drives that drift gently to the right at the 290-metre mark --- Jack Nicklaus with a camera! No doubt, you'd gladly settle for Big Jack's putting. 

You've made a huge time and financial commitment to the gallery --- fingers crossed that sales come flooding in.   

David Scaletti

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
PD,

There I was this morning relieved that this thread had quietly slipped off the first page. You know I am a shy person, and now you've bought it back to prominence.

"Jack Nicklaus with a camera", lofty praise indeed. Hopefully that level of ability will shine through when we next team up for the next battle against our two regular adversaries.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 06:16:36 PM »
I see the latest member is the above named.

David is a wonderful photographer, especially of Australian courses.  He took the photos for Darius Oliver's book Planet Golf.

Welcome David and I hope you enjoy your time spent on this site.

Welcome David!
Come often, post frequently and don't pay attention to Pat Mucci and Tommy Paul ;) ;D
Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Ian Andrew

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 11:29:17 PM »
David,

I'm glad you've joined the forum it was a pleasure to meet you both times you came to Toronto. I know your a bit shy, but you have lots of great observatiions to share - shiaraz seems to help. ;)

Paul_Daley

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 02:10:29 AM »
Dave: Sorry about that Chief. But then again, with your photographic prowess you've nothing to be shy about.

Seriously, any library bereft of David's books is simply incomplete. 

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 03:32:28 AM »
Seriously, any library bereft of David's books is simply incomplete.

Look who's talking!!!

Welcome David. Glad you're here - you will no doubt enjoy it.
Keep up the good work (you too Paul.)

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back