News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: Most influential by area
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 07:54:07 PM »
Peter,

Even more interesting is that the hole prior to the island green at Sawgrass is a rather shining example of the more timeless and traditional uses of architecture for strategy.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »
Karl,

In what ways has Hell's Half Acre been influential? A bunch of Tillinghast courses feature or have featured such a hazard in the past...

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
ASGCAHQ
PGA Tour offices in Ponte Vedra Beach.
Instead of the USGA testing facility, the design headquarters of Ping, Calloway or Nike
The practice area at the White House.
Whatever acre Tiger is treading upon at the moment.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 09:15:05 PM »
Kyle - neat, and good catch on the 16th and 17th.

That ability to handle both the principles and the flash seems a good description of what makes the great and/or influential architect.

Peter 

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 05:38:59 AM »
Adam

The sea comes directly into play on North Berwick's 2nd and Machrihanish's 1st.  Dr Mac was a Johnny come lately. 

I think the interplay between the centreline bunker at Woking's 4th and the green complex (this is probably about an acre in total of land if just the fairway/green are included) has to be one of the most influential bits of property about. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 10:48:29 AM »
Sean,

Where is Woking? I am going to compile a group of Google Earth shots with the acre outlined of the selections so far.

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 10:54:00 AM »
Sean,

Where is Woking? I am going to compile a group of Google Earth shots with the acre outlined of the selections so far.

Woking, Surrey GU22 0J7

I don't know if the area I am talking about is an acre - its just a guess.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »
Sean,

Woking, Surrey GU22 0J7

Ciao

I assume you're talking about the small bunker in the middle of the fairway just short of the green. Tom Doak wrote about it in "The Anatomy of a Golf Course" and you would definitely be within an acre for that. 43,500 Sq. ft. is roughly 4 average putting greens.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »
Sean,

Woking, Surrey GU22 0J7

Ciao

I assume you're talking about the small bunker in the middle of the fairway just short of the green. Tom Doak wrote about it in "The Anatomy of a Golf Course" and you would definitely be within an acre for that. 43,500 Sq. ft. is roughly 4 average putting greens.

Kyle

The bunker by itself is not nearly as important as how it relates to the green complex and the oob out on the right.  Remember, for those that don't want to carry the bunker or stay right of it, there is a right greenside bunker which must be carried, the green slopes front to back, there is a back bunker and the oob is more in play from the left.  The entire idea of this hole (especially from the centreline bunker in) practically encapsulates what strategy is all about.

Ciao

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 02:52:01 AM »
Kyle,

Not sure why size matters here, but what about the turf lab Ross and the Tufts set up in Pinehurst.

Sure by now there'd be grassed greens in the South, but their success must have had some kind of impact....maybe beyond Southern greens?

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back