News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Ballyhack construction photos
« on: February 17, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
http://www.gdihometours.com/listings/index.php?HomeID=5387&RInfo=1&ImageIndex=0

Some interesting images for architecture afficianados.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 04:12:46 PM by Kyle Henderson »
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tom_Doak

Re: Ballyhack construction photos
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
I looked, but I honestly didn't know what to make of them ... so much open dirt, very little scale or definition, which I think is true for 98% of construction pictures.

Does this kind of stuff really have value to all of you who post here?

bbarkley

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 04:57:19 PM »
It does help give a sense of place, allowing us to see some of the vistas and surrounding environments.  I also like the aerial photo, which shows that the developer and land planner kept the golf course in the heart of the property and the housing/development on the edges.  Keeping away from the corridor golf I have seen in many large scale golf course developments.  Other than that, it takes an imagination to visualize the golf hole in the given photograph. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 05:03:41 PM by Bryan Barkley »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »
It would help if some of the native vegetation was left intact. There is something about dirt and especially how the pictures were taken that really does not give us any of idea of what is going on there.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »
I looked, but I honestly didn't know what to make of them ... so much open dirt, very little scale or definition, which I think is true for 98% of construction pictures.

No, not even remotely (except for the setting of the course).  I couldn't tell you a thing about the style, layout, ....of the course itself.

Bart

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »

Tom,

I for one love the process. I love to think of the raw landscape, the dream of what could be and then making it happen. My wife and kids think I'm a bit wacko, but it is better than some other ways people occupy their time.

The par 5 holes really interest me on this course. I look forward to seeing how 15 turns out.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:59:11 PM »

It should be a good course with Lester George designing it.

It could also flop as an exclusive private course because it is near Roanoke.

Here is an article about it:

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/golf/wb/125183

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »

I thought the routing superimposed on aerial photos of the site along with the routing plan itself were useful. The open dirt pictorials don't hold much value on there own, but as the course is constructed I would be keen to see updated photos from the same perspectives. I think it would help armchair architects to see the process from the bottom layer up.

It would probably be more useful to see one particular feature (e.g. a green complex , fairway bunker)  go through the various stages fro "wilderness" to opening day. Relevant topo maps would probably also make the slideshow much more educational as well.

Nonetheless, I thought others might here enjoy a gander. Is there really any substitute for hands on experience (to even the slightest degree)?
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

John Kirk

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:29 AM »
From the article:

"Richmond-based golf architect Lester George said the links-style, par-72 course -- which he's spent the past year designing on "one of the greatest parcels of land one could ever find" -- will be nothing short of a home run.

"It's awesome," George said. "The golf course is going to be magnificent."

With a design reminiscent of the Scottish highlands, the 190-acre course will boast 50-to-70-foot elevation changes and old-style, gouged-out, roughed-edged bunkers. Two holes will share a green. The putting surfaces will average 8,000 square feet, allowing golfers to play a variety of different approach shots."

It seems to me that "Scottish highlands" and "links-style" are mutually exclusive qualities.  The writer of the piece may not know golf well enough to know the distinction.  If it's really going to have a "links-style" feel, then it should have great drainage, and be firm and fast all the time, which probably means fescue grass.  Just thought I'd point out the unrealistic advertising here, a somewhat typical error.

I'm excited for Lester to have a great piece of property to work with, so he can build a "Lester George" style course. 

Brock Peyer

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:57:07 PM »
Forgive me for being more ignorant than usual, is Bally"hack" the real name for this course?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
Yes. Per earlier threads it's a historical name of the real place.

Jeremy Rivando

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »
I enjoy looking at photos like these.

It's difficult to get a sense of the subtleties but the finished product can be imagined.  I've always enjoyed before and after photos, I agree that the 'after' photos are much better but there is something to be said about the evolution of a project. 

I'll always remember Cape Kidnappers for this reason, (and 500 feet of other reasons) my good college friend was the Professional there and when we played he showed me the pre-construction and construction photos while we played each hole and looked upon the finished product.  It was really cool to see the property before the course and really have a sense of the scale of such a project.

It also inspired me to finally stop wasting my time with a corporate job and start learning how to build and design great golf courses.

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 11:39:38 PM »
Gentlemen,

I somewhat agree with TD that these photos don't really inspire alot of discussion and are primarily for real estate marketing purposes.  The intent was to show the general location of the site and the proximity of Roanoke and Smith Mountai Lake.  The routing overlay on the photograph is supposed to demonstrate the relationship of golf to lots.

As noted, we didn't make up the name Ballyhack.  I'm also sure the photos have never done it justice.  Once we start grassing, the definition and shadows will become more prominent.  Dirt is dirt, and I'm sure it going to look like dirt for another few months. 

Thanks for the interest,  we'll continue to update.

Lester

Joe Perches

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 12:43:08 AM »
I wonder if the pins on the double green 13 and 15 will ever be reversed.

Lester George

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:45 AM »
Joe,

We will definitely reverse the pins on certain days on 13 and 15.  We only plan 8000 rounds per year so we have lots of flexibility.

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back