News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Lets Talk About Burnham's 18th
« on: January 27, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »
Some have sung the praises of Burnham's 18th, but not as many as should - or so it seems to me.  Its a tough hole not only because of length - some 430 yards from the daily markers, but also because the tiger lines are blind.  If one picks a realistic blind line with a draw then the ball can scoot past the 150 marker.  On the other hand, if you hit a corker on a safer line out to the right you will end up on a bank with a severe sideways sloping lie.

The middle bush just left of the path is a safe line.  The left bush is one of the modest tiger lines.  Serious flat bellies can aim over the high dune at the lighthouse and carry all the sinks and hollows.  This is something in the neighbourhood of 300 yards.

From here, one can see the strategy of the driving line.  Further right offers a better chance to see the green and landing zone, but requires a longer approach.  If one goes left and doesn't make it round the corner the landing area is blind though the flag is still visible and the angle to the green is better.  Also quite noticeable is the gap cut through the dune which Colt instigated in his 1913 Plan.  

Here is a view from behind the 18th. This is most tricky because the green drops some 3 feet from front to back though it appears to be flat - like most front to back slopers.  Because of the slope the landing zone is some 10 yards short of the green in winter and more in summer.  The bushes out on the right collect many victims from those trying to jump out of their boots on the approach off a hook lie.  Many of the better players ensure they have plenty of club as chipping back up the green is far easier than playing from one of the three bunkers or worse, from a position short of the bunkers.

All in all, I think this is one of the very best finishing holes in GB&I.  Not because its tough, but because of the options on offer.  Its wonderful to see guys still hitting that chaser hook round the corner and bangin a low 2 iron 30 yards short and waiting for it to appear on the green.  

I welcome comments on this hole.

Ciao    
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:22:37 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark_F

Re:Lets Talk About Burnham's 18th
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:21:39 PM »
Sean,

Really, the last four or five holes at Burnham are all part of a fantastic finish.

14 and 17 are a couple of terrific par threes with great greens, 16 is a neat little short four with another neat green.

The most memorable part of the 18th that I can remember is the second over all those hollows and broken ground, but you are right, with the drama of the land, the options and strategy, and the need for fine judgement on the approach, it is one of the best closers in the UK.

There is a vague similarity with the closer at Porthcawl, in that you have a second over rough hollows to an away sloping green, and that too is one of my best, and most favourite finishers in the UK, along with those at Beau Desert, Southerndown, Royal Aberdeen and Dornoch.

Great pictures.

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Lets Talk About Burnham's 18th
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Sean, this deserves more than one reply.  When I played B&B I knew almost nothing about it.  I only knew it existed.  I just shoed up one day and played.  I liked it as much as Saunton East.  The finish was fantastice, the land great for golf and #18 a great finisher.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back