News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

GEORGE PEPER TO GET DONALD ROSS AWARD
« on: January 24, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »

George Peper, editor-in-chief of “Golf Magazine” for a quarter of a century and author of 17 books on golf and golf courses, has been chosen to receive the 2008 Donald Ross Award from the American Society of Golf Course Architects (ASGCA). He will accept the award during ASGCA’s 62nd Annual Meeting, on Apr. 3, 2008 in St. Andrews, Scotland.

The award is given annually to an individual who has made significant contributions to golf and golf course architecture. President Steve Forrest, ASGCA will present the award to Peper at the group’s Donald Ross Banquet at the Rusacks Hotel in St. Andrews.

“George Peper is one of the most knowledgeable voices in golf, respected for his prolific journalistic and publishing career and his respect for and knowledge of golf courses,” notes Forrest. “He continues as editor-at-large for ‘Links’ Magazine and lives in St. Andrews. I will be honored to present this award to a man who has devoted his career to understanding and promoting golf and golf courses.”

Long Career in Golf and Golf Publishing

Peper is a graduate of Princeton University, and went on to study for his Ph.D. in comparative literature at Yale University. He left that program to join the staff of “Golf Magazine.” Under his stewardship, the magazine became the most widely-read in the industry and began publishing the first “Top 100 Golf Courses in the World” lists. While there, he also published a number of books on the game, including “The World’s 500 Greatest Golf Holes,” “Golf Courses of the PGA Tour,” “Golf in America” and most recently “Two Years in St. Andrews: At Home on the 18th Hole.”

Peper is a member of five clubs in Scotland, including the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, where he is the first American on the Club Committee. His “The Need System” was adopted by the USGA as the recommended method for allocating handicap strokes across 18 holes, and he has worked with clubs worldwide on pace of play. He is also a partner in Golf Magazine China Consulting, which matches golf architects with development projects in China.

The Donald Ross Award was established by the ASGCA Board of Governors in 1976 and is given annually to an individual who has made a positive impact on golf and golf course architecture. Its first recipient was one of ASGCA’s Founding Fathers, Robert Trent Jones. ASGCA’s Donald Ross Award Committee is led by Past President Rees Jones, ASGCA.

Peper will be the 33rd winner of the Donald Ross Award.

Sidebar: Donald Ross Award Recipients

YEAR                         RECIPIENT                           OCCUPATION                                

2008                            George Peper                           Golf Writer, Author

2007                            Dr. Michael Hurdzan,               Golf Course Architect
                                    ASGCA

2006                            Jim Awtrey                               CEO, PGA of America

2005                            John Singleton                          Irrigation Pioneer

2004                            Thomas Cousins                       Philanthropist, Urban Golf
                                                                                    Developer

2003                            Bill Campbell                            President, USGA, Captain, Royal &
                                                                                    Ancient Golf Club

2002                            Byron Nelson                           Professional Golfer

2001                            Jack Nicklaus, ASGCA            Professional Golfer, Golf Course
                                                                                    Architect

2000                            Jaime Ortiz-Patiño                    Owner, President, Valderrama Golf
                                                                                    Club

1999                            Arnold Palmer  , ASGCA         Professional Golfer      
                                    Fellow

1998                            Judy Bell                                  President, USGA

1997                            Gene Sarazen                           Professional Golfer

1996                            Ron Whitten                             Golf Writer

1995                            Pete Dye, ASGCA Fellow        Golf Course Architect

1994                            James R. Watson                      Agronomist

1993                            Brent Wadsworth                     Golf Course Builder

1992                            Paul Fullmer                             ASGCA Executive Secretary

1991                            Michael Bonallack                    Secretary, Royal and Ancient (St.
                                                                                    Andrews)

1990                            John Zoller                               Former Executive Director, No.
                                                                                    California Golf Association

1989                            Dick Taylor                              Editor, Golf World Magazine

1988                            Frank Hannigan                        USGA Executive Director

1987                            Charles Price                            Golf Writer, Author

1986                            Deane Beman                           PGA Tour Commissioner

1985                            Peter Dobereiner                      London Observer Columnist, Author

1984                            Dinah Shore                             Sponsor of Women's Golf
                                                                                    Tournaments

1983                            Al Radko                                 Former Director, USGA Green
                                                                                    Section

1982                            Geoffrey Cornish, ASGCA       Golf Course Architect, Historian
                                    Fellow

1981                            James Rhodes                          Governor of Ohio

1980                            Gerald Micklem                        Former Captain, Royal and Ancient

1979                            Joe Dey                                    Former Executive Director of the
                                                                                    USGA

1978                            Herb and Joe Graffis                 Founders, National Golf  Foundation

1977                            Herbert Warren Wind               Golf Digest Columnist, Author

1976                            Robert Trent Jones, ASGCA    Founding Member of ASGCA

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 03:11:04 PM by Anthony Pioppi »

Norbert P

Re:GEORGE PEPPER TO GET DONALD ROSS AWARD
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:46:04 PM »

“George Peper is one of the most knowledgeable voices in golf, respected for his prolific journalistic and publishing career and his respect for and knowledge of golf courses,” notes (Steve) Forrest. “He continues as editor-at-large for ‘Links’ Magazine and lives in St. Andrews. I will be honored to present this award to a man who has devoted his career to understanding and promoting golf and golf courses.”

(The Donald Ross Award) is given annually to an individual who has made a positive impact on golf and golf course architecture.

By all means George is deserving.  I like his style of opinion pieces whereas he makes observations without getting too riled. Perhaps it reflects seasoning and his enviable position in St. Andrews life. What a way to semi-retire . . . hangin' out in Fife.

BTW  James Rhodes got Ross Award in 1981 . His occupation is Governor of Ohio.    What's the skinny?  

BTW 2 - Mr. Piopi, what's with spelling Peper with 3 P's ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 02:50:55 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Garland Bayley

Re:GEORGE PEPPER TO GET DONALD ROSS AWARD
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »
 BTW 2 - Mr. Piopi, what's with spelling Peper with 3 P's ?

BTW Mr. Painter,

What's with spelling Painter with two O's, and N's, and singular B, N, and D?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

ANTHONYPIOPPI

Re:GEORGE PEPER TO GET DONALD ROSS AWARD
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
Garland:

Thanks for ppointing that out. It has been corrected.

Mr.  io i

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 03:16:27 PM »
Garland:

Thanks for ppointing that out. It has been corrected.

Mr.  io i

Sorry,

I can't take credit. You have to thank Slagbert. That's Nor spelled with a Slag.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 04:47:55 PM »
Garland, I was just about to have my name legaly changed to Gerald Pirkl, so that I could proclaim myself to be a bonafide "expert" on golf course architecture, and finally gain some respect here at GCA.com, but came to the conclusion that I'd much rather give ignorant opinions on things than actually present absolute knowledge statements that would incriminate me.  
  It's a humbling thing to go to Google,  punch in a goofy pseudonym and find it pasted quite prolificly, with results found that, in hindsight, are often quite regrettable. Then, alas, punch in one's real name to find virtually nothing.

Perhap's it's time for another George Peper Feature Interview?

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/interviewpeper.html

« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:57:03 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Steve Curry

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
Tony,

You had a spelling mistake and too many ps???? ;)

Steve

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 05:05:02 PM »
...Then, alas, punch in one's real name to find virtually nothing.

But what a nothing it is.

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:49:12 AM »
"and my zero to your power of ten = nothing at all."  IA (Jethro Tull dude)

This thread reminded me that George has been a prolific author so I just ordered a couple of George's books online. (Like "The Patch", books are one method to keep me off GCA.com.)

George, just in case you're out there, . . . congratulations on the honorable recognition; you're in fine company.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back