News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

kconway

Morfontaine
« on: December 25, 2007, 12:36:30 PM »
Has anyone played Morfontaine?

How was it?

How hard was it to get on?

Philip Gawith

Re:Morfontaine
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »
I played it two months ago and posted some pictures on it under "the course that dare not speak its name". Others have also posted. It is not easy to get on - at the very least a letter from a good golf club I think is required.

The course has an eighteen hole course and then an older nine hole course. The latter contains some wild Tom Simpson greens and some of the more memorable holes - the main course is not quite as arresting. Overall a very good course and a very distinctive feel to the club - but I think some visitors wonder if the club deserves its reputation as France's finest.

kconway

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 05:06:09 PM »
What are your favorite courses in France?

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
kconway -

The November/December issue of LINKS Magazine has an article about Morfontaine by George Peper. He describes it as "a Golden Age masterpiece, that is the epitome of understated elegance." He also writes that "virtually no one plays unless accompanied by a member."

Here is a link to the article:

www.linksmagazine.com/golf_courses/international/france/morfontaine_golf_course_france.aspx

DT  
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:57:02 PM by David_Tepper »

Anthony Butler

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
Has anyone played Morfontaine?

How was it?

How hard was it to get on?

I was lucky enough to play Morfontaine in 1999 with a French colleague of mine from Bates Advertising in London.

His grandfather was a long-time president of the club. We gave the old guy a lift out to the course from his apartment near the old Tuileries Palace. Probably the best looking residential building and the most beautiful apartment I have ever been in... made some of the co-ops I have visited on Fifth Avenue look shabby and pedestrian. This French gent was at that stage in his mid-eighties, yet dressed to the nines. He walked with a slight limp, a result of his work with the French Resistance in WW II.

We head to Morfontaine to play while he takes care of some stuff in the clubhouse. Like George Peper's review posted here, it was a fabulous morning. A 3hr round with only a dozen other people on the course. After we finish 18, the grandfather takes me to the 'proshop' for a memento of my visit. This turns out to be a cupboard outside his office which contains two shirts (size small) and a green repair tool... at 6'4" and 210lbs, I am now the proud owner of a pitch mark fixer with the Morfontaine Logo.

At this stage, I wasn't expecting much from the lunch being served on the balcony. It turned out to be perhaps the best meal I've eaten before 6pm in my life... they definitely have things in the right perspective in France.

I would certainly recommend pulling some strings to get on there. Just make sure you have all your balls, tees etc...  before turning up.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:09:24 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back