News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

St A Castle recent pics
« on: December 29, 2007, 05:49:17 PM »
Some recent pics by messrs Lambrecht and Lowe on the St Andrews website. I have to say that the course is certainly photographing well. Hopefully, it'll play as nicely.

Some quite MacKenzian crinkles there...

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/castlecourse_september07.html

http://www.standrews.org.uk/golf/the_courses/castlecourse_october07.html

Well done the DMK Team (esp PK!)

FBD.

PS Oh Dear - another really LAME logo. First the name, now the identity. WHO picks these things?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 05:55:46 PM by Martin Glynn Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ed_getka

Re:St A Castle recent pics
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:38:14 PM »
What is the logo Martin? Inquiring minds want to know.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:44:31 PM »
http://www.standrews.org.uk/welcome/index.html

a knight's HELMET? Eh? Please...

genius marketing of the highest order...

FBD.

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:53:22 PM »
Butt ugly.  Wonder what they paid for that ideation.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:44 PM »
Daryl,
 ;D
check out my OTHER rant... ;)

FatGrumpyDrummer.

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 09:53:38 PM »
Hey FGD,
   I like the logo. You are just spoiled with all those castles everywhere other there. :)
   Simple, ties into the name of the course, and doesn't try to do too much.
   What would your logo be for a Castle course?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »
FGD?

Martin, when did you come out of the closet?????

;)

OK, OK...grumpy it is..... ;D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 09:57:01 PM by Joe Hancock »
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

grandwazo

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:18:19 AM »
The pic's look great, but I've just begun reading the "The Seventh at St Andrew's" and so far it reads like no matter where you are on the course, you can turn around on every hole and gaze upon the "town sh*t*er" as DMK describes it.  Has anybody actually been onsight and can they comment on how much this "facility" affects the overall aethestics of the course?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 04:50:34 AM »
A voice of dissent and it hasnt even opened yet.
this is one of Huggan's helpful New Years resolutions, for others.

ST ANDREWS LINKS TRUST: "We will delay the opening of our new humpy-bumpy and brutally exposed Castle course until it is re-designed to the point where average players have a reasonable chance of breaking 100 on an averagely breezy day."
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »
Tony,

I was just going to post same, after reading Huggan's column this morning.

He's not the first I've "heard" this from - that being, the new Castle course appears beautiful, but many people think playability will be an issue. It will be interesting to see how the course plays on a windy summer day considering early opinion on the design.
jeffmingay.com

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »
For a very brief nano-second the view of the 17th in the October shots reminds of the famous 5th at New South Wales (the downward slope to the green and the rock formation behind).

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
Philip:

I know what you are saying about that picture (the similar feel is  because of the rock formations offshore), but this hole is a par-3 where you are hitting over the edge of the water, so it's nothing like what you see in the picture.

Others:

I have not seen the course yet so I haven't commented, but I've been surprised at all the pumped-up praise here because I have heard mixed reviews for a while now.  [Mr. Huggan is a friend -- but he's not the sole dissenter.]  I am sure the course is destined to be controversial, which means that time will tell whether it's for good or for bad, but I don't intend to take sides before the place even opens for play.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 12:24:35 PM by Tom_Doak »

Jason Hines

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 07:14:59 PM »
I assume by "town sh*t*er", the course is close to the city water treatment or sewage plant?

Controversial with respect to design, location or business plan?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
I assume by "town sh*t*er", the course is close to the city water treatment or sewage plant?

The course wraps around it, iirc.

James Bennett

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 06:17:29 PM »
Phillip

I see the similarity to NSW #5, but the line of play is as set out below - more in common with NSW #6 but longer.  The 18th green (and 9th - a double green) can be seen on the Point to the right).  These were taken in March - a Scottish summer has kicked things along a long way.

Here is a routing of the course (with topo).  The engineering type structure in the middle is not the clubhouse, nor a castle but rather the towns treatment plant.  Reclaimed water should be easy to access in case Scotland ever stops raining.

To 'grumpy'

A height -challenged person (ie less than 5' 10") was in a car altercation with a big bloke (think Pennsylvanian physician height).  The height-challenged got out of his car and said to the crash instigator 'I am not happy'.  The big bloke replied 'well, which dwarf are you then?'  ;D

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back