News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Playin the game with dew on the grass?
« on: December 13, 2007, 10:28:45 PM »
....and seein your footprints and watching the water spin off the top of the ball on its way to the cup and seeing the trail that it makes.....anyone here still play that game?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:31:25 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Cirba

Re:Playin the game with dew on the grass?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
Paul,

One of life's greatest pleasures is being the first on the course, as light just begins to filter through, while watching your trail behind as you open up the day ahead.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:56:25 PM by MPCirba »

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 08:13:06 AM »
Paul,

One of life's greatest pleasures is being the first on the course, as light just begins to filter through, while watching your trail behind as you open up the day ahead.

i got to play Bandon Trails this year by myself...first off at 6:30 on a BEAUTIFUL day...the next group was an hour behind me...talk about a great and unforgettable pleasure!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 08:27:44 AM »

« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 08:36:57 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 08:28:56 AM »
i wish i was on one of those courses right now Tony!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 08:33:19 AM »
That's when you hope the crew is doing a good job mowing the dew paths!

Are dew paths a thing of the past when most golfers ride?

Tom Roewer

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 08:35:04 AM »
I'll always remember my good friend Bob Tuthill, as we left pre-dawn to set up a course for a tournament saying "man golf courses are really beautiful places before the players get out and F--- them up"

Jason Connor

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »
I'm very much a dewsweeper.  I love the earliest tee times I can get.  Especially to be able to get off first and play as fast as I want.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »
I not only miss the dew, but also the guys with the bamboo whips clearing it off the greens in front of me after a night in the Bethpage parking lot got me #1 on the Black!

The sound of an x'ed out titleist crushed by a persimmon driver after being swung with a 20 year old's body... priceless and forever gone  :'(

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
It's when the dew disappears, after the sun has warmed everything up, that I appreciate the dew the most. The subtle change in thump challenges the golfer and should help him/her appreciate the match with nature.

Love the spirituality today Paul, Keep'em coming.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Kirk Gill

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »
LOVE the water spinning off the top of the ball, and the track the ball leaves in the dew........sometimes, a second putt is necessary, and then you get to compare the lines............

Or see this:

"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

paul cowley

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 01:42:35 PM »
It's when the dew disappears, after the sun has warmed everything up, that I appreciate the dew the most. The subtle change in thump challenges the golfer and should help him/her appreciate the match with nature.

Love the spirituality today Paul, Keep'em coming.

Thanks Adam....but I started the thread last night....when my 'spirit'uality is usually strongest. :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 02:00:09 PM »

Thanks Adam....but I started the thread last night....when my 'spirit'uality is usually strongest. :)

Yes...you guys who know me well know that there's no way I'm THAT eloquent without wine.

Last night I was getting pretty damn close to poetry!  ;D

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
I just finished playing Torrey Pines and LaCosta last week with rain and heavy dew.  It wasn't that bad, but I would have prefered a little drier.  

Of course it would rain the days I was there.

If someone will e-mail me I will send a couple of "dew shots" of the little seen Country Club of Florida to them to post.  They were taken in October and are really good pics.

Lester

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 02:49:22 PM »
Early am is my bread and butter.  For at least 25 years my work sked has been basically 6am-4pm more or less... so early morning golf is what it's all about for me.  Love the dew.  Just don't love it if it hasn't been swept off the greens.

Another issue is when that dew becomes FROST.  There is nothing I hate more than a frost delay, as much as I understand why such must happen.  In fact I'd have just finished a round TODAY had not such occurred... a group of GCAers were supposed to play in Oakland this morning, but lengthy frost delays made us cancel the round.  Dammit.

Tom Yost

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 03:57:50 PM »
A visual record of my nearest almost hole-in-one was left by a gentle arc traced in the dew, that passed within an inch of the cup and ended where the ball came to rest, just a few inches directly behind the hole.

:'(

Tim Bert

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 10:09:04 PM »
Love the early morning tee time when the shadows are long...

Prehaps the only thing better is first on the tee and last off the green in the same day...

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 10:51:39 PM »
Paul,

Second greatest pleasure is having a 10 foot birdie putt as the second group out...and the guy before you had the exact same line.

I already miss my 4:45am alarm clock Sundays at Rustic...then again, I don't miss it as much every 1st of the month when I write out my North Carolina rent check :D

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2007, 12:05:12 AM »
Gentlemen,

The Usga has adopted you.

New rules change for 2008 now allows one to sweep dew from the tee and clear the area of intended swing. You all have prevailed!
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ray Richard

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:04 AM »
Those were the days, teeing it up on the quirky nine holer down the street that was my second home for my youth. The dew was a rub of the green and we all compensated for the speed by hiting the ball harder. We loved those overcast days when the dew stayed all day.

Now I go to a high end club on a dewy morning and they have "overnight moisture police", rolling over hill and dale with hoses and whips, hiding every trace of surface moisture before a groggy foursome is allowed to tee off.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back