News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

But how's his architecture today compared to his earlier days?  Has his architecture suffered due to the branding, or has it imporved - perhaps in spite of it?

Lloyd_Cole

Hey,

I wear Shark golf pants and they are great.  Lightweight, nice fabric, and can even double for slacks to wear to work.

Kalen

I have two pairs, but there is no logo. They were the only golf pants I could find without pleats that I didn't hate...

John Kavanaugh

Shark has a very discrete logo of a thin rainbow type stripe stitched where you may not notice.  Let's not forget that his Shiraz got a 91 in Wine Spectator and sells for around $17 a bottle.

David_Tepper

The Wine Spectator ran a lengthy article about Greg Norman's wine business venture a month or so ago.

John Kavanaugh

According to this article he scored a 96 and the wine is $40.  Who knows what year I have at home for $17 like I could tell the difference anyway.

http://tinyurl.com/3xs4ph

Since golf courses change as each year/month/day goes by I would like to see a vintage with golf ratings too.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:07:21 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tim Pitner

I lost a lot of respect for Norman when, in 1996, after losing the Masters to Faldo, he said something to the effect of "well, I still have my cars, my helicopters and my money."  He seems like more than a bit of an ass.  

To Norman's credit though, I've heard/read that he's helped along a lot of younger, Australian golfers (Allenby, Appleby, Scott, Baddeley, etc.).  Good on him for that.  

John Kavanaugh

I lost a lot of respect for Norman when, in 1996, after losing the Masters to Faldo, he said something to the effect of "well, I still have my cars, my helicopters and my money."  He seems like more than a bit of an ass.  

To Norman's credit though, I've heard/read that he's helped along a lot of younger, Australian golfers (Allenby, Appleby, Scott, Baddeley, etc.).  Good on him for that.  

I have always thought Norman was one of the most gracious consistent losers in sport.  Sometimes when I have a really bad day competing I like to thing of the nice things I still have in life.  I even remember hugging my wife once....that was a really, really bad day.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 02:22:17 PM by John Kavanaugh »

PCCraig

Maybe if GN had spent less time hawking his junk and acting like a self-absorbed jerk maybe he could have focused on winning more often.

I always thought Norman wanted to win the Masters not for the honor of Bobby Jones and Augusta National, but for his personal business agenda.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

I always thought Norman wanted to win the Masters not for the honor of Bobby Jones and Augusta National, but for his personal business agenda.

That makes zero sense since he has never choked in business.

Tommy Williamsen

I just don't understand threads like this.  So Greg Norman is self promoting.  He has paid his dues, knows the market, and can offer a product that people want.  How is that different from all those irritating Geico commercials?  I rather hear about Norman.  I am bright enough to separate the hype from what he can deliver.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

Tommy,

I have done a study and roughly 74% of all posts on GCA are based on either jealousy or vanity.  Some people are jealous of vanity...that is when all hell breaks loose.

PCCraig

That makes zero sense since he has never choked in business.

I say that John in the sense that Norman was more interested in the money, plublicity, and recognition that it would give his own business interests a boost. While I understand that Professional Golfers play for a living, however you like to think that they play in Majors for the prestige and history.

I still think that the members at ANCC were privatly rooting for Faldo when Norman choaked in 1996.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

Luke Donald (his wife is even hotter than I remember her to be).

I went to Grade School and High School with her.
H.P.S.

Dan Herrmann

I just don't understand threads like this.  So Greg Norman is self promoting.  He has paid his dues, knows the market, and can offer a product that people want.  How is that different from all those irritating Geico commercials?  I rather hear about Norman.  I am bright enough to separate the hype from what he can deliver.

The real motivation of the thread was wondering if Norman the architect is as good today (with his wine, beef, and MacGregor businesses) as it was when he started.

Can a golf course architect create a "brand" that goes beyond architecture and still remain a successful architect?

Jason McNamara

And also for flying the USGA out to Australia for Kel Nagel's HoF induction.

jeffwarne

Maybe if GN had spent less time hawking his junk and acting like a self-absorbed jerk maybe he could have focused on winning more often.

I've played one bad Norman course and another I thought could've been a lot better (and one I really like-Doonbeg). That could indicate that he's spread a bit thin or has job supervisors that are inconsistent,(or it could just mean I have poor judgement :o) but I'm sure this isn't a reason to go on a personal attack on the man.

Norman wanted the Masters badly, because he was a great competitor and loved the place, and certainly wanted (like all of us) to be remembered by history.
Sadly, wanting something that badly can lead a player to press and not perform at his best under the gun.

Frankly, if Norman had won a few more majors (which was WELL within his reach), I think he would've probably been less of a high flying business tycoon, because he wouldn't have been trying so hard to prove himself.

bet he's trade it all for a couple more majors (in 1986 he led all four majors after 3 rounds)- no matter what he says.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

paul cowley

I think Greg Norman is a great example of a person who can set multiple goals in life and works hard to to achieve them...and he doesn't allow failure to diminish him personally, but uses the knowledge gained from his failures to help him define and achieve his next set of goals...without complaining or blaming others.

I have met a few from his organization and they all seem to be very good, dedicated people.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike Sweeney

Can a golf course architect create a "brand" that goes beyond architecture and still remain a successful architect?

Well since I believe that 80% of architecture is getting a great site, I would say yes. Build a Brand, get a great site, which will attract great people who want to work for/with you, and chances are you will be ahead of the GCA curve.

The anecdotes that I have heard of people playing/dealing with him have all said he is a good guy.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back