News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Dick Wilson
« on: December 05, 2007, 03:52:30 PM »
I am trying to help a friend find some good material for reading on Dick Wilson and his body of work. I guess that could include into the Joe Lee era as well. cheers and Go Tigers die bucks

Tyler Kearns

Re:Dick Wilson
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:27:35 PM »
Tiger,

Latest edition (#10) of "Golf Architecture" magazine out of Australia. Can be purchased through Australian Society of Golf Course Architects website.

TK

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 04:52:26 PM »
Tyler is it on Dick Wilson?

SL_Solow

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »
Whitten's book on Joe Lee does not have too much on Wilson.  I'll have access to a copy in about 3 weeks and check. If there is more than I remember, I'll let you know.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:16:40 PM »
Tiger,

Yes, a fairly lengthy article is written about Dick Wilson. The focus is on his trip to Australia and the work he undertook there, but it also delves into his character and work in North America. It's a start.

TK

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 10:42:31 PM »
Tiger and Tyler
I wrote the article about Dick Wilson in Australia, but it also contained as much material as I could find about his early life, works in the USA and Canada etc. Some of it came from Ron Whitten's book on Joe Lee.
Tiger, if you let me know your email address I can email you a PDF of the article if you like.
cheers Neil

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 11:56:01 PM »
thank you Neil and Tyler. There seems to be less written on Dick that I would have thought. SL thanks as well.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:56:39 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 12:00:10 AM »
Dick designed my home club here in Lafayette. Our ex pro, now retired and back home,  who has been at Birmingham Cc for years asked me about learning more about Dicks work. I am so pleased to have someone else on our Greens Comm that sees the significance of understanding the roots aka bones of a course.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:50:31 AM »
Here's something from some guy named Bradley Klein:

http://cgi.cnnsi.com/golfonline/travel/architects/wilson.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 10:54:55 AM »
There's a famous piece from the late 1950s in Sports Illustrated, sort of Robert Trent Jones vs. Dick Wilson and they kick the sh*t out of each other for 600 words or so. I went to my local library and they were able to find a nearby library that had SI on microfilm and was able to get a copy. Well worth the read.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 10:55:46 AM »
Interesting to read in Brad's article that Dick Wilson was a camouflage guy as was Dr. MacKenzie!  

I really liked the original Doral Blue course before the renovators got their mitts on it.  It was a heck of a good course, as was Bay Hill.  The bunkering wasn't over the top, there wasn't too much of it, just enough to require strategic play and good shotmaking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back