News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil_Crafter

Photos of Bunker Steps
« on: November 21, 2007, 06:17:28 PM »
Hi
Would anyone with photographs of steps down into bunkers be willing either to post them or email them to me? Preferably ones into small pot type bunkers would be best, although larger bunkers would be fine too. I'm looking for a slection of there or four different shots
neil@golfstrategies.com.au
I'm working with a club committee who imagine bunker steps as needing handrails and they are finding them difficult to imagine.The only photos I have of steps are on slides and my scanner is out of commission - so any help anyone could provide would be much appreciated.
cheers Neil

David Schofield

Re:Photos of Bunker Steps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:34:55 PM »
Egads, handrails on bunker steps?  Doesn't the "solution" create far more problems?

Tobacco Road:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/images/000002421.jpg
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/images/000001941.jpg

Yale:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/images/00000424.jpg

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 07:43:07 PM by David Schofield »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:17 PM »
Engineers:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:49:24 PM »
I reviewed my photos and this is one from Prestwick in Scotland...hope it helps.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 08:02:12 PM »
here's one...can anyone name that hole and GCAer?  No fair for the subject to chime in!

here's the other side...tough!!!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 08:04:52 PM by Jay Flemma »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:10 PM »
Hint:

The guy taking the photo is standing on a Redan green...

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 02:16:57 AM »
Thanks Steve, Bart and Jay for those - very helpful. If someone has one of some steps in a pot bunker that would be very useful.
David, appreciate your post. The club in question has a number of elderly members who complain to the committee that the bunkers on their 1920's era course are too difficult for them to get in and out of. We have reviewed them for the committee and while we have suggested some railway timber steps be cut into a slope leading into one particular bunker that we do not want the outline of modified at all. We are not proposing timber steps into any others but the committee want to see what steps look like as they are having trouble envisaging them. I think the handrail thing was said somewhat in jest, at least I hope so.
Thanks guys for your help.
cheers Neil

hhuffines

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 05:24:44 AM »
Neil,

We have the same problem at our Club.  I'll try to take some pics for you over the weekend.  Just cut railway timbers - but it seems to be working for those guys.  Over half our
golfers are over 60 it seems.

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:57:54 AM »
Neil

not quite what you are after.  But .... the first one should scare the committee (from Crail Balgomie I think)

This one is from Deal (Royal Cinque Ports) on the back nine.  A lovely little pot bunker which didn't require steps.

And of course the original Redan, complete with steps, but very deep.

Neil, I also recall some steps done quite well at Avondale in Sydney on #11, the little par 3 below the clubhouse.  However, I expect the surroundings there are quite different to your client's course.  I don't have any pics.

James B
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:03:21 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Andrew Hastie

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 06:58:55 AM »
Hello Neil,
Here are a couple more.

The first is Ballyliffin.

The Berkshires,Red Course
Andrew

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
Did someone mention Brancaster?

Let's make GCA grate again!

Marc Haring

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »
Of course there's this one.

George_Bahto

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »
Tony Muldoon - please contct me E Mail:  ggb313@aol.com
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Ray Richard

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 10:13:43 AM »

These classic bunkers are downright dangerous to escape, and the tired and rotten stairs added to the intrigue. The stair project was added to a bunker redo and the following procedures were used:

1.   Locate the position of the new stairs using a few survey stakes, determine the rise(height) and run(depth) and draw details on a grid sketch pad. Don’t remove the stakes because it is critical that the stairs go into the designed location. Use a laser to determine the actual height from the bunker floor to the top of the bunker face.
2.   Determine the amount of steps, along with rise and run of each step and build the stairs using pressure treated stock and galvanized fastenings.
3.   Excavate the stair location, add an extra 6 inches to the excavation, install a compactable dense grade or aggregate product in back of the stairs and under the stair base.
4.   Install the stairs, compact the sides and sod up to the stair edge.

Make the stairs wide as possible, keeping in mind that golf shoes need some extra room.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 06:35:58 AM by Ray Richard »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »
The guy in the blue windshirt just re-built that Redan bunker...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »
Bill Brightly, you're the winner!

Guys, these are super photos...just look at the original redan and that nasty pot bunker Marc Hring got.  Marc, where is that from?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 01:15:54 PM »
George Bahto at the Knoll in New Jersey

SPDB

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2007, 03:59:10 PM »

Guys, these are super photos...just look at the original redan and that nasty pot bunker Marc Hring got.  Marc, where is that from?

Pine Valley.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »

Pine Valley.

Is that you in there?  Is that the devils you-know-what?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:21:10 PM by Jay Flemma »

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »
Thanks everyone who has posted - I have sent a selection along to the club in question and we'll see how things go.
cheers Neil

Marc Haring

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2007, 03:09:07 AM »

Jay, that's the Devils A hole but not my picture or me. It's one of someone else who posts here? I just like to collect pictures for my own illustration purposes.

I wonder if you could build a bunker like that now on health and safety grounds!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back