News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

david h. carroll

practice greens
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:25:42 PM »
What;s the general consensus as to the formation of a practice green?  Should it mimic the green styles of the course ie: a Raynor course would have a practice green with multiple shelves, spines, etc...or should it be a place where players can work on perfecting their stroke with out the bold countours?  I'm sure there are plenty of places with both aspects available, but at the course I know is redoing some greens, ther practice green are is not very large so it would be difficult to incorporate both aspects.

Jason Topp

Re:practice greens
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »
Our course built a slopy practice green similar to greens on the course.  I like it but many members hate it because they want to practice flat putts.  This fall we converted about 1/3 to a flat surface and kept 2/3 with slope.  

If I were to do it over, I would try and create some of both on one green.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:43:25 PM »
I would love to see both, but if I had a preference, I would like to see a green like the ones I was about to play. I can practice in my basement.
Mr Hurricane

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 04:08:14 PM »
Regardless of their size and character, under NO circumstances should the speed of the practice green be different from that of the course.

For the record, my two favorite are Bandon Dunes, not the practice facility and Crystal Downs.  Ambiance (sp?) could have something to do with it too ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Roger Tufts

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »
Regardless of their size and character, under NO circumstances should the speed of the practice green be different from that of the course.

For the record, my two favorite are Bandon Dunes, not the practice facility and Crystal Downs.  Ambiance (sp?) could have something to do with it too ;D

I agree.

That was the weird thing about Royal County Down's practice area. They day we were there, they have the one small putting green that is severely sloped but the same speed as the course. Then they have the one MASSIVE putting green with slopes, flat areas, and PLENTY of space, but at least the day we were there, this area was shaved about the length of the fairway. Maybe it is meant more for a chipping area, but for a course of that nature, I don't think the other small putting green is big enough.

With all the people waiting to tee off, there isnt enough room on the tiny putting green for people to ready their putting game.

For the record, I enjoyed Portrush's putting green, although it could use some slopes in it. It is very, very true, as a putting green should be- almost completely free of marks. And it has a nice little pond in the middle  :D
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back